Where to get...

Tea1337

My and my friend are in a pothole, we cannot find a good place to buy OEM disks ONLINE of windows 7,8 and 8.1 at a good price. Any suggestions on where to buy these? 

You can't buy OEM windows keys from a retailer. Only online.

Answer

Diamond 5 in League :)

I know, I am looking for a good place online to get them at a decent price.

If you're trying to save money there are other ways......like trading in beans instead of money. AND yet again there are other ways.......like volunteering your time and energy in exchange the product...YET there are still other ways. Totally not a piracy drift. I'm covered. 

In seriousness, why not just pay retail. It's not much more. 

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

Answer

OEM windows copy are ment for system builders/online stores. there no real diff from a OEM and a normal copy other than the name. and i think the OEM's don't come with a window disk may be wrong.

Edit. googled it and OEM doesn't come with MS support that the real diff between OEM and retail windows.

OEM windows copy are ment for system builders/online stores. there no real diff from a OEM and a normal copy other than the name. and i think the OEM's don't come with a window disk may be wrong.

We build computers for a local company and sell them online, we just ran out of windows 7 and 8 copies

I do believe some come with a disk, just need to find them

We build computers for a local company and sell them online, we just ran out of windows 7 and 8 copies

Yeah. i googled it to make sure, I was not sure but yeah it comes with the disk, you could always download the main windows files onto a USB drive and instail it that way

Yeah. i googled it to make sure, I was not sure but yeah it comes with the disk, you could always download the main windows files onto a USB drive and instail it that way

That's a good idea, might be more easy just to buy keys for them, but some people want they physical disk.

are you in a pinch where you need keys right now?

if not, newegg or amazon you can purchase oem from them.

if you use amazon, don't forget to support linus

1_Linus-Tech-Tips-Tranny-and-Cropped.png

If you're a fan of Linus Tech Tips and you wish to support Linus Tech Tips, please consider using one/some of the links below. Some can be used once, others can be used multiple times. When you use these links it shows that Linus Tech Tips is referring business to these companies and in return we get the resources we need from them to keep doing our jobs and bringing you the best tech content we can! Thank you for supporting Linus Tech Tips.

Qb0NTUu.jpg

United States - Canada - United Kingdom -  Germany -  Spain -  France -  Italy Japan -  China

Amazon.com is the online super store. From computer components to mayo.

Amazon.com has an excellent affiliate program. If you shop there, please amend your Amazon bookmark with the appropriate Linus Tech Tips affiliate link (just use the links above). Anything you buy in the next hour after navigating to the site with that affiliate code will give Linus Tech Tips a commission that ranges from 4% to 8% or even more!

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

That's a good idea, might be more easy just to buy keys for them, but some people want they physical disk.

Dang. you could always be like "LOL NOPE IF YOU WANT TO REINSSTAIL WINDOWS YOU HAVE TO COME TO US AND PAY US" and make more money.

Dang. you could always be like "LOL NOPE IF YOU WANT TO REINSSTAIL WINDOWS YOU HAVE TO COME TO US AND PAY US" and make more money.

$15 re installation fee :P

$15 re installation fee :P

Pfttt, I know people that charge 90 bucks to change a heatsink.....

Pfttt, I know people that charge 90 bucks to change a heatsink.....

My favorite was always $60 to install a stick of RAM.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

My favorite was always $60 to install a stick of RAM.

$37.50 for me - half hour service charge minimum. But we do clean out the computers, update them, and run antivirus and such...it's not a wasted 1/2 hour...

So I guess it's worth it for some people...

Pew Pew Helicopters

$37.50 for me - half hour service charge minimum. But we do clean out the computers, update them, and run antivirus and such...it's not a wasted 1/2 hour...

So I guess it's worth it for some people...

Of course, there will always be those who just refuse to learn at all.

The more you learn, the more you make. Not necessarily from income but from cost savings as well.

Really, those people should know how to run antivirus and update on their own. Sort of like most people should know how to change the oil in their car.

But...people are lazy. Good for us!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Of course, there will always be those who just refuse to learn at all.

The more you learn, the more you make. Not necessarily from income but from cost savings as well.

Really, those people should know how to run antivirus and update on their own. Sort of like most people should know how to change the oil in their car.

But...people are lazy. Good for us!

I unfortunately had a guy today that was afraid of updating Java and has a morning appoint for a "PC How-to" session.

Let's get ready to rumble!

Pew Pew Helicopters

I unfortunately had a guy today that was afraid of updating Java and has a morning appoint for a "PC How-to" session.

My mom can't use most things that are touch based or even computers at anything more than a very very beginner level.

She's not even that old...

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

We had someone bring back their computer today demanding for a refund because the PSU was switched to off, they claimed it blew out smoke and poped something. So we plugged it in and booted it up. But it's $15 to do a  fresh install then it's $15 an hour for labor, so it's close to $30 at the end with a working pc

We had someone bring back their computer today demanding for a refund because the PSU was switched to off, they claimed it blew out smoke and poped something. So we plugged it in and booted it up. But it's $15 to do a  fresh install then it's $15 an hour for labor, so it's close to $30 at the end with a working pc

You've got some insanely low pricing. We're the cheapest in town with $75 for fresh install (with updates, programs, cleaning, and little "this is how shit works" session) - it usually takes a few hours overall, but a lot of it is sitting around. Raw hours are $65 per in-shop, $75 per out of shop. Aside from the normal labor rates, we also offer $75 overclocking, $150 PSU sleeving, $45 cable management (free with sleeving if customer wants), and general modifications from $50 and up.

It's a crazy world. I'd say we're a solid 25-50% below our local competition. Compared to other shops our prices might be insane, but we're the cheapest within ~200km, hah.

Pew Pew Helicopters

You've got some insanely low pricing. We're the cheapest in town with $75 for fresh install (with updates, programs, cleaning, and little "this is how shit works" session) - it usually takes a few hours overall, but a lot of it is sitting around. Raw hours are $65 per in-shop, $75 per out of shop. Aside from the normal labor rates, we also offer $75 overclocking, $150 PSU sleeving, $45 cable management (free with sleeving if customer wants), and general modifications from $50 and up.

It's a crazy world. I'd say we're a solid 25-50% below our local competition. Compared to other shops our prices might be insane, but we're the cheapest within ~200km, hah.

Our town has old people, they don't understand it so we don't over charge them. But we have business prices that are $74.99 an hour for PC build + the price of a PC, to fresh install windows and all information is $175, and to backup all of their information is $700. But, when someone get's a gaming PC it's $68.99 an hour for a basic setup, but when it get's to water cooling we charge $70-80, because there is a risk of the part's getting soaked. 

The best thing we do is a PC cleanup for $50, and redline boost their system for $100. Any upgrades they want are $35 flat rate per part. Having a PC shop isn't cheap for us or for them

Our town has old people, they don't understand it so we don't over charge them. But we have business prices that are $74.99 an hour for PC build + the price of a PC, to fresh install windows and all information is $175, and to backup all of their information is $700. But, when someone get's a gaming PC it's $68.99 an hour for a basic setup, but when it get's to water cooling we charge $70-80, because there is a risk of the part's getting soaked. 

The best thing we do is a PC cleanup for $50, and redline boost their system for $100. Any upgrades they want are $35 flat rate per part. Having a PC shop isn't cheap for us or for them

I feel you on that one. There's a lot of flushed money stocking components or parts for quick fixes. Sure, in a few years I might need to use one or two of the ten I have left, but damn it can get expensive.

Right now we're running an ad that doubles as a coupon for a $10 PC tweak (dust, updates, and antivirus - yahoo [not the search engine]). Looking forward to the influx of old machines that will rear phone calls saying, "My PC isn't faster." or "My PC won't work. You broke it."

Pew Pew Helicopters

I feel you on that one. There's a lot of flushed money stocking components or parts for quick fixes. Sure, in a few years I might need to use one or two of the ten I have left, but damn it can get expensive.

Right now we're running an ad that doubles as a coupon for a $10 PC tweak (dust, updates, and antivirus - yahoo [not the search engine]). Looking forward to the influx of old machines that will rear phone calls saying, "My PC isn't faster." or "My PC won't work. You broke it."

That's the bad part, if you clean someones computer and within a weeks time the HDD dies, the blame is automatically on you and you have people raging in your shop, and in my there tends to be a lot of kids with greasy hands touching display computers.