laptop for pragramming

hi!

i want to by a laptop for programming (i have 400$)

I found that the processor speed and ram are the important thing for programming so i think to bay :

i5-4200h with 8gb of ram (i will upgrade the ram to 16gb in the future)

and i think to bay dell 7567 (it  has a good  battery life)

any other suggestions !!! please !!!

yeah, what do you mean when you say programming?

are you concerned with the experience of having a text editor and a bunch of API docs open at the same time?

or are you concerned with long compile times for big projects?

or perhaps time to train neural nets, etc?

Depending on your answer, the recommendation would change drastically

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

For example, I carry around a chromebook for my daily use. Because I mainly just need chrome and a text editor. Plus having a linux shell is nice, especially since I ssh into remote machines for my tasks a lot.

If I want to compile stuff, or train a model, etc I use my server, which can handle high CPU and GPU loads. 

But if I didn't have a server, and compiled large stuff often or trained models daily, I would want more powerful hardware than my chromebook provides.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

8 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

yeah, what do you mean when you say programming?

are you concerned with the experience of having a text editor and a bunch of API docs open at the same time?

or are you concerned with long compile times for big projects?

or perhaps time to train neural nets, etc?

Depending on your answer, the recommendation would change drastically

programming using php,sql,c,c++,python

38 minutes ago, ahmed214 said:

hi!

i want to by a laptop for programming (i have 400$)

I found that the processor speed and ram are the important thing for programming so i think to bay :

i5-4200h with 8gb of ram (i will upgrade the ram to 16gb in the future)

and i think to bay dell 7567 (it  has a good  battery life)

any other suggestions !!! please !!!

My low end laptop has very similar cpu in term of performance and i run it daily with 80% of my work on it being C++ and SQL. When not doing this i am doing OpenGL and .NET sometime and works flawlessly. Also works great with Ubuntu. If you are not developing full ERP systems compile time won't be much visible honestly. If i code for 2-3 hours i don't care the compilation takes 20 seconds instead of 5 seconds.

As someone else mentioned the keyboard will be the most important feature as you use it all the time.

That was what i bought but directly from Dell when it came out and it was lower price to bring in the sales of the new ryzen 2000

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Inspiron-17-5000-Laptop-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200U-1TB-HDD-12GB-RAM/305141513

9 hours ago, Franck said:

My low end laptop has very similar cpu in term of performance and i run it daily with 80% of my work on it being C++ and SQL. When not doing this i am doing OpenGL and .NET sometime and works flawlessly. Also works great with Ubuntu. If you are not developing full ERP systems compile time won't be much visible honestly. If i code for 2-3 hours i don't care the compilation takes 20 seconds instead of 5 seconds.

As someone else mentioned the keyboard will be the most important feature as you use it all the time.

That was what i bought but directly from Dell when it came out and it was lower price to bring in the sales of the new ryzen 2000

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Inspiron-17-5000-Laptop-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200U-1TB-HDD-12GB-RAM/305141513

thanks

I would also recommend a SSD just for the Quality of Life that comes with it. The whole OS and all the IDEs become a lot more responsive.