Valve (Steam) to address review bombing in new update to User Reviews system

Keystone Nyan Cat

Source- https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/

Sometimes, developer actions outside of a game have affected game reviews; whereas other times, it's due to community driven discussions. Citing Wikipedia, "Titan Souls was review bombed in April 2015 [...] after artist Andrew Gleeson mocked a statement that Bain made saying the game was "absolutely not for me"." This hurts game opinion, and thereby sales. 

To address this, Valve is integrating a system that notices a large swing in player reviews, and notifies someone within valve about this for manual review. This person will decide whether the reviews are related to the game or not, and 

Once our team has identified that the anomalous activity is an off-topic review bomb, we'll mark the time period it encompasses and notify the developer. The reviews within that time period will then be removed from the Review Score calculation. As before, the reviews themselves are left untouched - if you want to dig into them to see if they're relevant to you, you'll still be able to do so. To help you do that, we've made it clear when you're looking at a store page where we've removed some reviews by default, and we've further improved the UI around anomalous review periods. 

Users can completely opt out of this system. Of note though-

• DRM and EULA changes are classified as review bombs
  • On-topic reviews made during the review bombing period will be identified as a review-bomb and will not be included in the review score.
  • Reviews are NOT being deleted, only changes to how the score is being calculated./
  • Past review bombings are NOT being flagged, this is something affecting reviews only moving forward.

My personal opinion- While this is a great step forward in terms of reviews and helping only show consumers content related to the action game they're buying, I feel as though DRM and EULA based matters shouldn't be identified as a review bomb because they can affect game play (e.g.- always online making games unplayable in areas with poor networking).

PC in Profile

Just now, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

That was a month ago. It was already posted.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

That was a month ago. It was already posted.

Oops :( Sorry; I should have checked the date on it before posting.

PC in Profile

Valve should add a review section on publisher/developer page, that way games won't have to suffer.

Or introduce something akin to the worst company award, with a user review system, a timeline that aggregates news and user review activity and the release of the award at the end of the year, and paradoxically add a best company award 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

More and more it seems the best reviews are the LTT, jays, GN style of review (goes for games as well).  It's a lot easier to be critical of these types of reviews than trying to work out if a forum post, review post or other user generated review is legitimate from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.