Experts found 36 vulnerabilities in the LTE protocol

SansVarnic

This is a fairly short article and a few days old but;

Source: https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/82936/hacking/lte-vulnerabilities.html

2nd source (research paper): https://syssec.kaist.ac.kr/pub/2019/kim_sp_2019.pdf

“Based on the security property, LTEFuzz generates and sends the test cases to a target network, and classifies the problematic behavior by only monitoring the device-side logs.” reads the research paper.

“The impact of the attacks is to either deny LTE services to legitimate users, spoof SMS messages, or eavesdrop/manipulate user data traffic,”

The research paper is quite thorough, if you have the will to read through the whole thing. It has some fairly concerning items to ponder on.

I am concerned but at the same time not as concerned as I probably should be...

Kinda make you think a bit about how you use your cellphone or mobile for certain tasks... hmm.

Thoughts?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Kinda make you think a bit about how you use your cellphone or mobile for certain tasks... hmm.

Thoughts?

Wasn't GSM wide open for years?? And had even more security holes?

Did they even try to make LTE somewhat Secure or dind't they even care too much and only make it look somewhat secure??

The biggest question is:
Can it be fixed or is it a Hardware issue that can not be fixed without replacing the hardware?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 minutes ago, John_Trollinski said:

didn't someone already Post something similar a few weeks back?

Yeah here

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

Wasn't GSM wide open for years?? And had even more security holes?

Did they even try to make LTE somewhat Secure or dind't they even care too much and only make it look somewhat secure??

The biggest question is:
Can it be fixed or is it a Hardware issue that can not be fixed without replacing the hardware?

It reads more like vulnerabilities in the implementations from various vendors, and not the standard itself (though I'm sure there are several there).

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, 2FA said:

It reads more like vulnerabilities in the implementations from various vendors, and not the standard itself (though I'm sure there are several there).

Ah, so its not a "WE'RE GONNA DIE!!!1111" Vulnerability that isn't fixable but a "Its bad but light is at the end of the Tunnel" one that can be fixed??

Have you looked at what you can do with this?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"