Stutter in every single game no matter the settings or resolution

Marko96

I've had this issue since day one. I own this PC for about 3-4 months and now it starts to drive me insane since I can't just sit back and relax in gaming. No matter the game and settings I always have stuttering issues. When I built this PC I didn't buy SSD but used a 7200RPM HDD. Had stuttering issues and I was like, okay it is because of the slow HDD. Fast forward 2 weeks I buy SSD and clean install my PC, all the drivers are up to date..and I still had stuttering issues although a bit less.

My GPU has a slight coil whine so whenever it stutters the sound of coil whine disappears for a fraction of a second and then continues...probably because GPU is not outputting anything on the screen during that time.

As I said, no matter the game nor settings ( PUBG, Fornite, Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 7 ) it always has this issues. Some games more ( Fortnite, PUBG ), some less ( GTA V ).

Please don't flame me for my really poor choice of hardware, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Spec:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 + Stock cooler

GPU: GTX 1070 Asus Dual OC

RAM: 8GB 2400MHz BallistiX Single channel

SSD: 1x M.2 WD 120GB 1x Kingston 240GB

I think it is because of the RAM. Ryzen is not all for single channel, let alone 2400MHz. I seriously don't know why I did that purchase, but now I have to live with that. Is there anything else that can be an issue that I can try and solve before I go out and spent some money on RAM because money is a huge issue. I'm a poor college student that saved a lot to get this PC and I screw it up with a stupid thing like this.

I've been looking at some youtube vides with slow RAM even 2133MHz in single channel only had lower FPS but no stuttering issues so it might not be because of my RAM. I don't care much about FPS because I'm only playing at 1080p monitor, but the stuttering is killing me. 

All of my drivers are up to date. I've even tried to rollback nvidia drivers and give them a shot but same thing happens. When I did heaven bench my GPU performance was always lower than any other score I've seen online. I don't really remember the numbers, but If they scored about 2400 I did 2200.

GPU-Z

Furmar + GPU-Z Sensors

HardwareMonitoring.hml

while your ram speed and low amount as well as being single channel will absolutely slow your CPU down you should not be having constant stutters.

which cable are you using to connect the monitor to your GPU and are you connecting directly to the GPU or into the motherboard?

Just now, Pixel5 said:

which cable are you using to connect the monitor to your GPU and are you connecting directly to the GPU or into the motherboard?

Connecting to the motherboard wont do anything on a 2600, he would get no display

10 minutes ago, Marko96 said:

I've had this issue since day one. I own this PC for about 3-4 months and now it starts to drive me insane since I can't just sit back and relax in gaming. No matter the game and settings I always have stuttering issues. When I built this PC I didn't buy SSD but used a 7200RPM HDD. Had stuttering issues and I was like, okay it is because of the slow HDD. Fast forward 2 weeks I buy SSD and clean install my PC, all the drivers are up to date..and I still had stuttering issues although a bit less.

My GPU has a slight coil whine so whenever it stutters the sound of coil whine disappears for a fraction of a second and then continues...probably because GPU is not outputting anything on the screen during that time.

As I said, no matter the game nor settings ( PUBG, Fornite, Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 7 ) it always has this issues. Some games more ( Fortnite, PUBG ), some less ( GTA V ).

Please don't flame me for my really poor choice of hardware, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Spec:

I think it is because of the RAM. Ryzen is not all for single channel, let alone 2400MHz. I seriously don't know why I did that purchase, but now I have to live with that. Is there anything else that can be an issue that I can try and solve before I go out and spent some money on RAM because money is a huge issue. I'm a poor college student that saved a lot to get this PC and I screw it up with a stupid thing like this.

I've been looking at some youtube vides with slow RAM even 2133MHz in single channel only had lower FPS but no stuttering issues so it might not be because of my RAM. I don't care much about FPS because I'm only playing at 1080p monitor, but the stuttering is killing me. 

All of my drivers are up to date. I've even tried to rollback nvidia drivers and give them a shot but same thing happens. When I did heaven bench my GPU performance was always lower than any other score I've seen online. I don't really remember the numbers, but If they scored about 2400 I did 2200.

GPU-Z

Furmar + GPU-Z Sensors

when i had a similar problem i resolved it by uninstalling the audio drivers and reinstalling them

2 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

Connecting to the motherboard wont do anything on a 2600, he would get no display

thats not always the case, some motherboards will route the display output through the PCI e port to the CPU out the motherboard ports which is why stuttering will happen for sure then.

14 minutes ago, Marko96 said:

If you stutter no matter the resolution then that points to the CPU.
However I would think it's because the CPU is not getting enough information because of your RAM bottleneck.

Not only are you using a below spec speed (2933Mhz is officially supported now) but you're also using single channel.
There's no doubt that this could be causing your problems.

It's not a race to the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

thats not always the case, some motherboards will route the display output through the PCI e port to the CPU out the motherboard ports which is why stuttering will happen for sure then.

If you connected correctly your GPU to your motherboard, and then connect the display cable from monitor to motherboard entry, you will have no display.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

19 minutes ago, Marko96 said:

Spec:

GPU-Z

Furmar + GPU-Z Sensors

Your ram will not create this kind of issue nor would a HDD. Even if 8 GB is not optimal, your games doesn't take up to 8 GB ram.

Start by monitoring your ressources when you game. Report back with your GPU and CPU usage % while gaming.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

30 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

when i had a similar problem i resolved it by uninstalling the audio drivers and reinstalling them

@Pixel5

I am actually using an adapter since I have this oldish monitor that does not have anything but VGA, so I'm converting signal from HDMI to VGA. I connected it to 720p TV via HDMI and I still had stuttering issues even if it is clean connection without adapters. 

I will try reinstalling audio drivers, but I'm afraid that I'll need to buy new RAM...and it is expansive -.-. Living as a college student with 200e a month is not that ideal.. I barely have for food and apt

I'm curious what temperatures your getting while running games. Could you run a logging program like afterburner or something while running the game? I think it sounds similar to what happens when a cpu is thermal throttling.

No, CPU is not thermal throttling. The temps are fine. I thought so myself too, but it happens literally instantly after joining a PUBG game for example. So there are no throttling issues.

EDIT: It does not pass 75C while gaming. Usage is low aswell. 35% total usage, 2-3 cores go up to 80ish%

21 hours ago, Marko96 said:

@Pixel5

I am actually using an adapter since I have this oldish monitor that does not have anything but VGA, so I'm converting signal from HDMI to VGA. I connected it to 720p TV via HDMI and I still had stuttering issues even if it is clean connection without adapters. 

I will try reinstalling audio drivers, but I'm afraid that I'll need to buy new RAM...and it is expansive -.-. Living as a college student with 200e a month is not that ideal.. I barely have for food and apt

what do audio drivers have to do with ram?//?//????

you won't have to buy anything

Okay, after closer inspection of task manager..I've found out what is happening when the game stutters. GPU usage is always 98-99% but it dips down to 85-88% when the game stutters. 

Take a look at attachment to see how it looks like.

EDIT:
Windows 10 Game Bar is disabled. Nvidia Settings is all set for maximum performance. PhysX Processor is set on GPU

asdf.png

On 4/7/2019 at 1:21 PM, Marko96 said:

Spec:

GPU-Z

Furmar + GPU-Z Sensors

This comes up when putting your parts on PCPartPicker.

Don't know if its of any significance to you.

dfgh.JPG

4 hours ago, Vladimirul said:

This comes up when putting your parts on PCPartPicker.

Don't know if its of any significance to you.

dfgh.JPG

M.2 has hackintosh on it so it doesn't mean anything to me. My mobo has 2 M.2 slots and when I plug in SSD into one it will disable 2 SATA outputs but I have that sorted out

EDIT:

@Majestic I've followed your topic to monitor with MSI afterburner. Edited the first post. Can you take a look at it? Is my PSU an issue here? Is he causing the stutters because I can see the GPU usage drops when Power % drops. My PSU is Cooler Master Elite V3 550W

EDIT 2: 

Increasing the power limit in MSI Afterburner to 112 (max) helped a bit, but  still far from resolved. 

2400 ram isn't fast enough, i had the same issue but overclocking from 2400 to 3000+ helps.

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

I think it is connected with Power %. Every time Power % in MSI Afterburner drops I get stutter. 

When the CPU becomes the bottleneck you'll always encounter poor frametime consistency and framedrops due to the renderthread overflowing. And you did not do yourself a favor by going with single-channel 2400mhz memory on a Ryzen chips. Notorious for requiring decent memory to run close to the intel competition. Neither are they champions of running very high framerates due to their design. Though I feel like running 1080p at this time and age is doing yourself a disservice. 

So you're going to have to settle for lower, yet stable framerates. You can do this by increasing graphical settings that increase load on the GPU, and lower those that have an impact on CPU, and in your case also lower texture settings as you don't have excess memory or bandwidth.

So I suggest lowering features like:

Model Detail, Draw Distance, Geometry Detail, Textures

And increasing things like Resolution (use a resolution scale if you're running 1080p monitor), MSAA, Lighting/shadows, Tessellation, or anything pixelshader related.

Then when you've got a nice balance but have the occasional hitch because you're CPU is not able to keep up with the GPU, use RTSS (part of MSI Afterburner, it's the Statistics server) to set a framecap that is low enough as to maintain a stable framerate. Start by setting it to 100-110 and lower it incrementally until you hit a framerate it can viable hit 99% of the time.

image.png.be8de5fd3c086b32e6b022e93b0d549a.png

I see no glaring issues with the system, nothing is throttling, I do see some fileswapping from memory to disk, so as I said, be mindful of texture settings. If your CPU is bottlenecking and the GPU load as a result drops, so does it's power. You're seeing a correlation, but it's not the causal factor.

EDIT: also, I say bottleneck but don't take this the wrong way. There is always a bottleneck, that word does not imply it's a bad system or a bad part that is being said bottleneck, as it is mostly used on this website as such. I just mean to say that it's predominantly determining performance. If a system had no bottlenecks it would have infinite performance.

16 hours ago, Majestic said:

When the CPU becomes the bottleneck you'll always encounter poor frametime consistency and framedrops due to the renderthread overflowing. And you did not do yourself a favor by going with single-channel 2400mhz memory on a Ryzen chips. Notorious for requiring decent memory to run close to the intel competition. Neither are they champions of running very high framerates due to their design. Though I feel like running 1080p at this time and age is doing yourself a disservice. 

So you're going to have to settle for lower, yet stable framerates. You can do this by increasing graphical settings that increase load on the GPU, and lower those that have an impact on CPU, and in your case also lower texture settings as you don't have excess memory or bandwidth.

So I suggest lowering features like:

Model Detail, Draw Distance, Geometry Detail, Textures

And increasing things like Resolution (use a resolution scale if you're running 1080p monitor), MSAA, Lighting/shadows, Tessellation, or anything pixelshader related.

Then when you've got a nice balance but have the occasional hitch because you're CPU is not able to keep up with the GPU, use RTSS (part of MSI Afterburner, it's the Statistics server) to set a framecap that is low enough as to maintain a stable framerate. Start by setting it to 100-110 and lower it incrementally until you hit a framerate it can viable hit 99% of the time.

image.png.be8de5fd3c086b32e6b022e93b0d549a.png

I see no glaring issues with the system, nothing is throttling, I do see some fileswapping from memory to disk, so as I said, be mindful of texture settings. If your CPU is bottlenecking and the GPU load as a result drops, so does it's power. You're seeing a correlation, but it's not the causal factor.

EDIT: also, I say bottleneck but don't take this the wrong way. There is always a bottleneck, that word does not imply it's a bad system or a bad part that is being said bottleneck, as it is mostly used on this website as such. I just mean to say that it's predominantly determining performance. If a system had no bottlenecks it would have infinite performance.

Thank you for the answer. It is good to hear that my hardware is all good that I don't have any issues with it. One more question, since my CPU is bottleneck because of the RAM, would my frametimes improve if I get faster RAM in dual channel configuration?

What really sucks about everything here is that my Xbox X that is literally half the price of the PC runs games smoother because of this.