About the USB naming scheme rant.

Nedkely

So i have watched the Techquickie video about the USB naming scheme, with linus ranting about its naming and i am pretty on his side on it. 

I dont like these new names either and i fully support your rant, however you may missing one crucial thing that makes USB forum do all of this wonky stuff, and the reason is number in 4 is considered extremely unlucky and bad number, which brings trouble and even death itself. 

Check out google on chinese numerology about it, number 4 in their language is pronounced as "Si" and death is pronounced as "Shi" and these two are really similar to one another in speech thats why it is considered really unlucky number and causes massive tetraphobia in china. 

USB forum knew it, and also know if they would decide to name their "3.1" as "4.0" the technology they created actually would meet GIANT problems, chinese companies could have even refuse to build it and even government could get involved into this. They are so obsessed with this number so the point where they even avoid it in online games. 

If you know their culture and watch other youtubers from china on that stuff you will understand it, for them "death" is super tabu topic, they are afraid of this word much much more than any nation in the world, its a part of their value system to actually believe in this kind of stuff. 

It would be a shoot in the foot to give number 4 to any thing produced in china. 

We have DDR 4

We have pci-e 4.0  (or will have)

We have quad core cpus (4 cores)

We have 4 memory slots on motherboards

They could just as easily call it USB 5.0 if this 4 was such a big deal...

They're just morons stupid at naming things.

Superstitions are such idiotic nonsense. There was so many products with number 4 and no one died because of it. Creative Audigy 4, GeForce 4, GeForce 400 series, DDR4, PCIe 4.0, graphic cards had 4GB VRAM etc. And they were all made somewhere in Asia. Heh.

What I got from the rant is that they keep renaming existing types, instead of keeping the 3.# while just changing the #

None of this is relevant to the rant because not only do the USB names only go up to a third iteration, but also Intel is making USB4 out of their thunderbolt standard.

So the proper naming scheme would be USB 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and USB4

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Pretty much the same stupid superstition that frequents hotels too... American hotels go from floor 12 to 14. 

6 hours ago, Alexsolo said:

Do you have a source for the info? It makes sense as a description. The same reason OnePlus skipped the OnePlus4 phone. 

4. 四. 

Death. 死.

Now, Google both of them, and find the pinyin. They are pronouced nearly the same, and people go crazy when they see it. Most buildings in China and Taiwan skip any floor number with 4. For example, Taipei 101 calls it's Floor 44 as "Floor 43a"

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

You wanna know my take on it?

USB should have just stuck with Gen 3 (USB 3.0). then Gen 3.1, then 3.2.

And market it as SuperSpeed 1, SuperSpeed 2, etc.

Nothing wrong with Linus ranting about it though.  I totally understand his feelings.

Won’t visit often..