This attention to detail is why I miss Steve Jobs.

corrado33

Preferring to be early rather than late, the team literally gave themselves an extra couple of minutes and set the devices to 9:42 a.m. in product photos. But as Jobs practiced his presentation, it seemed he would unveil the first iPhone at 9:41 a.m. and so the image of the phone was set for 9:41. And it worked like a charm. When Jobs introduced the original iPhone at MacWorld 2007, the first image of the phone with its screen turned on appeared on the giant screen behind him with the time set to 9:41 a.m. at 9:41 a.m.

macworld07_9_550x367.jpg

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/apple-products-time-941-photos-jon-manning-scott-forstall-steve-jobs.html

I think many of us think apple has gone a bit downhill when Mr. Jobs died, and I think his attention to detail was one of the reasons for that perceived decline. I miss that level of thought that went into.... everything. Even if he was a bit neurotic. 

Okay, screw this source website.

I was reading the article, because I seemlingly am stupid and have been having a hard time understanding articles lately.. So I'm reading through it at a normal pace, while suddenly it just blasts some stupid music. I didn't even see where it was coming from.

Anyways, before hearing the music I got the idea of the article I think, although it wasn't written very.. Intuitive I think. I just can't put it in words.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

I was reading the article, because I seemlingly am stupid and have been having a hard time understanding articles lately.. So I'm reading through it at a normal pace, while suddenly it just blasts some stupid music. I didn't even see where it was coming from.

Anyways, before hearing the music I got the idea of the article I think, although it wasn't written very.. Intuitive I think. I just can't put it in words.

Apologies... my ad blocker must have protected me from that particular intrusion. :(

I'm gonna miss steve jobs incredibly scary way of scaring people into doing a better job or being fired.

apple got too comfy and now are making lazy products , they aren't buying out companies anymore and using the tech before anyone else , they are just coasting on past success which didn't work in the 90's and won't work now. 

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Apologies... my ad blocker must have protected me from that particular intrusion. :(

Nah, I don't blame you.. I do block quite a few things on websites I don't know, so kinda annoying that still was able to get around it.

Pretty neat thing though; although I am not 100% Apple savy.. Do their presentation always begin at 9:00 AM/PM local time?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just so we're clear, this isn't exclusive to Steve Jobs as this all comes from proper presentation skills and pacing. Any good presenter can set this up for any product.

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Nah, I don't blame you.. I do block quite a few things on websites I don't know, so kinda annoying that still was able to get around it.

Pretty neat thing though; although I am not 100% Apple savy.. Do their presentation always begin at 9:00 AM/PM local time?

I believe so yes. Pacific time. 

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Just so we're clear, this isn't exclusive to Steve Jobs

wait , other people have access to ..... timing? it wasn't just steve jobs?

and here we all were convinced steve jobs was the only person who could time things. looks like all of us were wrong huh boys

6 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Just so we're clear, this isn't exclusive to Steve Jobs as this all comes from proper presentation skills and pacing. Any good presenter can set this up for any product.

Except they don't.

I never said no one else could do it, but the fact that he forced it to be perfect is what is admirable. 

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

wait , other people have access to ..... timing? it wasn't just steve jobs?

and here we all were convinced steve jobs was the only person who could time things. looks like all of us were wrong huh boys

Just wanted to point it's not an all that special skill.

4 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I never said no one else could do it, but the fact that he forced it to be perfect is what is admirable. 

From reading that article, it sounds like Jobs was the one that was off and they had to adjust it back to accomodate him.

32 minutes ago, Minibois said:

oof... not even ad block could stop it...

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

Kinda like Valve. I really hope valve's VR shit goes well because its gonna suck seeing that company... well not die but be a hollow husk of what it once was.

One could argue they already are. They don't make games anymore. Their organization is flat and basically it's "you work on what you want, whenever you want, as long as you own up to it."

They could literally do nothing and still make money because of the setup they have with Steam.

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

its very smart of them. VNN says that they're getting ready to drop the Steam VR headset and knuckles but because they don't have a game to go with it they're gonna miss the mark. GabeN wants to be like the Nintendo bigwig- because developing the games alongside the hardware makes for fantastic expierences- but in order to do that they'd need to actually make games

No, they just need to piggyback off some existing system that already exists. If they can tap into the existing Vive compatible library, they don't need to make games themselves.

6 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

My dad has a college friend who worked at apple back in the late 90s to early 2000s. He met Steve jobs multiple times during his work there.

According to him, Steve Jobs was a "my way or the highway" boss and was kind of an asshole behind closed doors. It either had to be done his way, or not at all. This meant the engineers had to work long hours to achieve what seemed silly or impossible.

I guess when you are a visionary, you can kind of just ignore everyone else and get away with being an asshole because you make lot's of money.

Apple has gone down massively as far as customer service and convenience goes ever since Steve Jobs left. Steve Jobs was a visionary who could identify multi-billion dollars markets that just didn't exist before (like the iPhone or iPad) and Tim Cook just doesn't have those same skills. Tim Cook is just a classic businessman who is trying to squeeze profits out of apple in Traditional ways rather and innovative ways (stuff like being so anti-repair and gluing everything together, or barely updating devices year to year while marketing them as "the best thing ever"). Ever since Steve died, the company has been riding off the coattails of their fame and prestige that Steve worked so hard to build. Their fame will only last so long at at some point, I have no idea when, apple will go the way of IBM  or Dell and just become another large tech company.

Yeah I've read the same about Jobs, but hey, it worked right? He brought the company back from the brink and built it to what it was when he died. Honestly that was pretty impressive. It was probably just something to the effect of "I don't have time to deal with your bullshit, if you don't support what I want to do, then you can leave." Now, while jobs was mainly a marketing man (and ideas man sometimes), he had some great ideas that are written about in his biography. Back then, he SIMPLIFIED apple's lineup. He went from a dell style "customization" million different versions of computers to a 4 computer system. 2 laptops, 2 desktops. One consumer, one professional for each. And it worked. The original macbook and macbook pro and iMac vs. Mac Pro were amazing. I mean sure, they still had heat problems, but the simplicity was great. Did you want a desktop and weren't a professional? Go for an iMac. Etc. etc. Then the iPod, while not the first MP3 player, was also amazing. IIRC it held the most songs of any other MP3 player at the time, but I may be wrong. Not to mention the UI was wonderful. The entire iTunes ecosystem is an amazing accomplishment. I'm pretty sure iTunes is the biggest online retailer of digital music? Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Yeah, I remember a year or two after Jobs died and apple started doing things differently I said to myself "I hope this doesn't continue, they've got to get back to innovating, etc." They never did... in my mind. And yeah, he was great at finding new products to market. I remember when the iPad came out I thought it was the dumbest thing ever. I said "well it's just a big iPhone." But he was freaking YEARS ahead of the curve that's only recently come into fruition. Tablets used as computers. And sure, it wasn't the first tablet, but I'd argue it was the first super successful tablet. 

2 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Yeah I've read the same about Jobs, but hey, it worked right? He brought the company back from the brink and built it to what it was when he died.

If Apple does go to the brink again, one wonders who they are gonna call to dig them outta it

All I'm pretty sure of is Steve Jobs ain't gonna save them a 2nd time

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

On 4/4/2019 at 12:16 PM, corrado33 said:

macworld07_9_550x367.jpg

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/apple-products-time-941-photos-jon-manning-scott-forstall-steve-jobs.html

I think many of us think apple has gone a bit downhill when Mr. Jobs died, and I think his attention to detail was one of the reasons for that perceived decline. I miss that level of thought that went into.... everything. Even if he was a bit neurotic. 

Nowadays feels like they retained the annoying we know better attitude without the ability to back it up. Only took a couple years after he was gone for the freshness to disappear , roughly a couple lifecyles for phones at which point he obviously couldn’t have been involved so it’s not surpirsing ........

best example is 10R < 10S which I’m not going to bother going into why that’s stupid but jobs would never have had R<S and guess what this gen of phones were very lackluster.....