[Discussion] Is buying RAM second hand a horrible idea?

ELECTRISK
Go to solution Solved by Dash Lambda,
28 minutes ago, ELECTRISK said:

Why doesn't RAM degrade like other forms of flash storage?

'Cause it's not flash storage.

Flash uses floating-gate transistors, which it charges and discharges to change the data, kind'a like a battery. And, like a battery, they have a limited number of charge cycles, which means there's a very definite lifespan.

HDDs are mechanical devices, and reliability tends to decrease as you add more moving parts, so they also have a limited lifetime. They'd probably last longer if you could service them, but the media is so sensitive that it has to be hermetically sealed to work for any reasonable length of time.

RAM is made of latches, which don't hold a charge or anything like that. It's actually closer to the circuitry in a processor than in an SSD, and RAM degrades even slower than processors because there isn't much power going through it.

Is buying used RAM a bad idea?

Looking to save a few bucks on a build with the following specs:

- AMD FX 8350

- Gefore GT 730 2GB (2x)

- Asus M5A97 R2.0

G.SKILL Ares Series 4GB DDR3 1600 (4x)

Crucial MX500 500GB 

- Seasonic Focus SSR-450FM

Case not applicable as it's going to be a desk PC

Also criticism of my build is appreciated but know that I'm choosing this because I need 6 monitors and I have an almost identical build currently that suits me just fine.

6 minutes ago, ELECTRISK said:

- AMD FX 8350

- Gefore GT 730 2GB (2x)

- Asus M5A97 R2.0

G.SKILL Ares Series 4GB DDR3 1600

Crucial MX500 500GB 

Also criticism of my build is appreciated but know that I'm choosing this because I need 6 monitors and I have an almost identical build currently that suits me just fine.

I have no problem buying RAM second-hand because it can easily be tested with Memtest86 and that guarantees perfect functionality. 

Buying HDD on the other-hand is very much not recommended. 

Just now, MimigaKing said:

I have no problem buying RAM second-hand because it can easily be tested with Memtest86 and that guarantees perfect functionality. 

Buying HDD on the other-hand is very much not recommended. 

I've heard that buying storage (SSD's and HDD's) isn't recommended as the reliability of it, even if functional, is very low. That's why I was questioning the reliability of the RAM, since it's essentially just a volatile & fast SSD.

Second hand RAM is fine, RAM is sturdy and lasts a long time 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

RAM is one of the safer things to buy used. Risk of damage is low, it doesn't really degrade and no information stays on it. Go ahead 

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

RAM is one of the safer things to buy used. Risk of damage is low, it doesn't really degrade and no information stays on it. Go ahead 

RAM typically has a very robust warranty now-a-days.  Years ago it felt like planned obsolesce was a thing, I don't feel like it is as much anymore.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Is there any way you can get 8gb RAM? Or is this build for light mining?

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

2 minutes ago, RoseLuck462 said:

Is there any way you can get 8gb RAM? Or is this build for light mining?

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention I'll be getting 4 of those 4gb modules, totaling at 16GB.

Fixed in OP.

28 minutes ago, ELECTRISK said:

'Cause it's not flash storage.

Flash uses floating-gate transistors, which it charges and discharges to change the data, kind'a like a battery. And, like a battery, they have a limited number of charge cycles, which means there's a very definite lifespan.

HDDs are mechanical devices, and reliability tends to decrease as you add more moving parts, so they also have a limited lifetime. They'd probably last longer if you could service them, but the media is so sensitive that it has to be hermetically sealed to work for any reasonable length of time.

RAM is made of latches, which don't hold a charge or anything like that. It's actually closer to the circuitry in a processor than in an SSD, and RAM degrades even slower than processors because there isn't much power going through it.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 hour ago, ELECTRISK said:

- AMD FX 8350

- Gefore GT 730 2GB (2x)

- Asus M5A97 R2.0

G.SKILL Ares Series 4GB DDR3 1600 (4x)

Crucial MX500 500GB 

Not at all. In fact, buying 2nd hand RAM can save you a lot of money.

Here's the thing - RAM doesn't fail very often. So if you buy from a place like eBay, you'll get protection to know the RAM won't be DOA (dead on arrival) - and if it is, you can either get a refund or a replacement (if available).

The odds of the RAM working on arrival and dying later? Very unlikely.

Next: Many RAM companies gave out lifetime warranties. Often they don't ask for proof of purchase. Therefore even if it did die, there's a chance you could get it replaced directly.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I can't recycle ddr3 Rams in my next build. Shame. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

You’ll be right, as with anything second hand, test before you buy and always cash deals.

11 hours ago, floofer said:

You’ll be right, as with anything second hand, test before you buy and always cash deals.

Cash, or cash equivalent. BTC or Interac e-transfer (It's a Canadian thing) are also just as good as cash.

The primary benefit to either of them, is that you cannot reverse the transaction. Therefore, assuming both parties saw the RAM working and agreed upon the condition, the sale is final.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Cash, or cash equivalent. BTC or Interac e-transfer (It's a Canadian thing) are also just as good as cash.

The primary benefit to either of them, is that you cannot reverse the transaction. Therefore, assuming both parties saw the RAM working and agreed upon the condition, the sale is final.

Just for the buyer, you can’t reverse it, but always pay when you finish testing it. There’s a lot of scammers out there.

15 minutes ago, floofer said:

Just for the buyer, you can’t reverse it, but always pay when you finish testing it. There’s a lot of scammers out there.

Yep. Never buy without testing, unless it's on eBay or another site that has excellent buyer protections.

In person buys? Always get the owner to test it in front you, in person - or better yet, do the testing yourself if they'll let you.