Friend Build has TO MUCH constraints for me to handle Need help deciding where to go from here.......

TheReal_ist

I'll lay out the situation:

Ok so I'm doing a build for a friend of mine right.

His requirements are:

• The build has a $400 USD budget for everything. (so every component combined)
  • He wants a black case or dark grey
  • That can fit under his monitor nicely  (so horizontally and with room to spare)
  • And he wants it to feel "new" whatever that means from his old one.

Micro ATX first Try:

So initially I thought alright I'll do a nice Micro ATX build seeing as those mobos are cheaper then mini ATX and the cases are pretty cheap too. So here's that initial list.

Turns out this case and a few other nice Sub $60 Micro ATX cases were to big for him and he wanted smaller. So I guess first question is "hey does anyone know of basically a SF case thats long enough to fit in the Micro ATX mobo with a stock Ryzen Cooler or if not is there a cooler that isn't expensive I could use?

Mini ATX second try:

Then I thought alrit I'll see if I could do a mini ATX build instead. Did some research figured out Mobos, cases, and SF PSU's are SUPER expensive for the same quality I could get with the above first List. Sooooo

At this point I'm actually considering getting him a damn prebuilt because his budget plus the size constraint is PROVING TO BE TO MUCH to handle. 

So I'm coming here to see if u guys can point me in a better direction cuz I'm about to give up and just get a shit used prebuilt slim tower, slap a 500gb SSD and be done with it. 

Would love to avoid this, cause I really wanna get this guy a NEW PC since he will be using it for the next 6-8 yrs easy. 

Extra Option (I'd rather not do Since its tricking him and all. Cuz he wants everything new not an upgrade):

Also for reference the guy I'm doing this for I've talked with him about this a good bit. And apparently his PC that is now over 6 yrs old isn't actually slow like at all to him, I can see it but he can't. For example it takes nearly a minute to boot from the HDD windows 10 is installed on and he thinks thats fast. Sooooooooooo

Another thought I had was to keep the CPU(He doesn't have a real GPU fyi only on board intel), Mobo, ram, HDD then throw away the case, and PSU. So that way I can spend a bunch on the case and PSU so he gets what he wants a SMALL PC that fits on his desk that looks nice. 

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

To be frank, it sounds like you don't wanna build this for him at all... 

If his requests are unreasonable, then he has to adjust them. You can't create hardware from nothing, you're not Linus

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

Just get something like a NUC or ASRock DESKMINI. Building a machine like you're describing with off the shelf parts doesn't sound too feasible for that price bracket, so getting a SFF PC kit sounds like the way to go.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

To be frank, it sounds like you don't wanna build this for him at all... 

If his requests are unreasonable, then he has to adjust them. You can't create hardware from nothing, you're not Linus

Thats what It sure fucking seems at this point. I said man if I was gonna do this it would be 500-600 maybe more and thats a maybe. And he said I don't know man thats a lot.....

Which it is no doubt especially when hes literally using this for Browsing the internet and THATS IT.....

maybe I should cave and get a prebuilt with no upgradability in the future.

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

So he has a build and he doesn't want to upgrade, just buy new? What's his current spec?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Suika said:

Just get something like a NUC or ASRock DESKMINI. Building a machine like you're describing with off the shelf parts doesn't sound too feasible for that price bracket, so getting a SFF PC kit sounds like the way to go.

Do u guys have any Sub $400 ones that can be upgraded at least a little in the future. That is what I'm basically trying to get for him. 

Cause before me he was gonna go to Walmart and get a prebuilt that COULD never be upgraded. Hes my friend so I couldn't let him get burned like that. But ya I just don't have the time to custom make him something like I wanted. 

So any good NUC's or mini PC's u guys know of??

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

2 minutes ago, TheReal_ist said:

Do u guys have any Sub $400 ones that can be upgraded at least a little in the future. That is what I'm basically trying to get for him. 

Cause before me he was gonna go to Walmart and get a prebuilt that COULD never be upgraded. Hes my friend so I couldn't let him get burned like that. But ya I just don't have the time to custom make him something like I wanted. 

Upgraded in what way? Because NUCs and the like only have upgradeable storage and RAM, assuming the mini-PC didn't solder the RAM and has no slots. Also practically all NUCs are barebones, meaning you need to add your own storage and RAM.

Just now, fasauceome said:

So he has a build and he doesn't want to upgrade, just buy new? What's his current spec?

He has a fine PC speed wise, but he just wants that new feeling I guess. Its hard to figure out what the reasoning is honestly cuz I'm not in his shoes of not knowing tech that well.

Spec? never asked since I don't need it like at all for what I was going to do. Soooo

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

Just now, TheReal_ist said:

Spec? never asked since I don't need it like at all for what I was going to do. Soooo

so that then. maybe just a storage and case, maybe PSU overhaul will do.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

Upgraded in what way? Because NUCs and the like only have upgradeable storage and RAM, assuming the mini-PC didn't solder the RAM and has no slots.

See thats why I don't wanna go with them. He deserves better seeing as hes a friend of a PC nerd. 

But I don't know I might have to just be selfish and get the bare minimum for him. Cuz as u guys are noticing the requirements are pretty harsh. :///

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

If you can convince him to let go of that under the monitor foolishness and he really doesn't game or anything, get a ryzen 2200 with whatever motherboard works, 8gigs of the cheapest ram, whatever power supply and case happen to be on sale and these nice Kingston 240 gig SSDs for 30$. If you have leftover budget you could go for the ryzen 5 for better... Futureproofness in lack of a more PC term

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

See thats why I don't wanna go with them. He deserves better seeing as hes a friend of a PC nerd. 

But I don't know I might have to just be selfish and get the bare minimum for him. Cuz as u guys are noticing the requirements are pretty harsh. :///

Tell him the reality of the situation: either expand the budget or live with a "meh" computer.

Otherwise the best way to get the most out of this money is to buy a used system.

Just now, LukeLinusFanFic said:

If you can convince him to let go of that under the monitor foolishness and he really doesn't game or anything, get a ryzen 2200 with whatever motherboard works, 8gigs of the cheapest ram, whatever power supply and case happen to be on sale and these nice Kingston 240 gig SSDs for 30$. If you have leftover budget you could go for the ryzen 5 for better... Futureproofness in lack of a more PC term

I wish it were that easy bud. 

your forgetting the case ISSUE. I already priced out a nice build here 

its just the case thats the issue............

thxs tho

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

4 minutes ago, TheReal_ist said:

He has a fine PC speed wise, but he just wants that new feeling I guess. Its hard to figure out what the reasoning is honestly cuz I'm not in his shoes of not knowing tech that well.

Well there is a mini itx avenue for him

Idk about reusing storage, psu, etc, but it would work if something was carried over.

Idk what a "new feel" is though, unless he lacks an SSD.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

so that then. maybe just a storage and case, maybe PSU overhaul will do.

thats what I thought to. 

But then I asked and he said "NOPE i want an all new build. since its so old apparently)

So any good Nucs or MiniPC's u know of for Sub $400 bucks??

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Tell him the reality of the situation: either expand the budget or live with a "meh" computer.

Otherwise the best way to get the most out of this money is to buy a used system.

U might be right, ugggg..

Guess I got in over my head huh......

damn this is gonna be painful to do admitting i was wrong....

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

U might be right, ugggg..

Guess I got in over my head huh......

damn this is gonna be painful to do admitting i was wrong....

I think this would be pretty easy. 

"I'm not wrong, you're just an asshole"

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 minute ago, TheReal_ist said:

So any good Nucs or MiniPC's u know of for Sub $400 bucks??

Just go on Amazon or Newegg and look at different NUCs and DESKMINI PCs and see what's within budget. Some NUCs have soldered CPUs included and most of the DESKMINI series is socketed, from there part out the rest of the system you'd need (which is typically memory and storage).

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Well there is a mini itx avenue for him

Idk about reusing storage, psu, etc, but it would work if something was carried over.

it might work.

But again he wants a case like this one. (Aka the Fractal Node 202)

Where its flat and can fit under his monitor. 

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

1 minute ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

I think this would be pretty easy. 

"I'm not wrong, you're just an asshole"

I did offer to do All this amazingness tho for Sub 400 so I'm kinda the jackass...........

now i know better tho so thats good.

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Ya he has a HDD for EVERYTHING plus he has no backups of his Photos and files on said HDD.

So hes not the smartest when it comes to PC's or storage. And ya I've told him to backup it up off site and on site with some Cheap $50 2tb HDD's but they don't listen soooo.

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

Ya he has a HDD for EVERYTHING plus he has no backups of his Photos and files on said HDD.

So hes not the smartest when it comes to PC's or storage. And ya I've told him to backup it up off site and on site with some Cheap $50 2tb HDD's but they don't listen soooo.

Literally just using an SSD for main programs and OS makes a world of difference

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

Literally just using an SSD for main programs and OS makes a world of difference

Thats what i said too. But then he said the Crap of I WANT ALL NEW.

So u got any ideas to maybe Gimme rig it. Cause I tried to find shit for something like that. And everything is to expensive.............

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

Thats what i said too. But then he said the Crap of I WANT ALL NEW.

So u got any ideas to maybe Gimme rig it. Cause I tried to find shit for something like that. And everything is to expensive.............

I'm still curious as to what his current rig is, because depending on that, it's likely not possible to get a better rig for $400, let alone smaller.

Primary PC: