Steam has anounced there VR headset

Fluxcabury

Their*

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

They are still going with the damn VR. Come on, this tech died in the 90's and it's still dead. Just let it be dead. Geez.

If they called it "Immersion Headset" and marketed it along with keyboard+mouse or gamepad combo and make huge support in games as far as vision goes and it would sell far more. I mean, I want to play games the way I play them now, with keyboard and mouse, but I wouldn't mind the IMMERSION part of it, you know, where you only see ingame world without any of your desk, peripherals, monitor frame and wall behind it etc and everything is directly in your face without any gap between your eyes and the monitor 1m away (or 2-3m with consoles and TV's). I don't believe in VR the way they are selling it now, but I'd totally buy it for such purpose. When? Probably never coz they are still trying to do this VR nonsense...

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

They are still going with the damn VR. Come on, this tech died in the 90's and it's still dead. Just let it be dead. Geez.

If they called it "Immersion Headset" and marketed it along with keyboard+mouse or gamepad combo and make huge support in games as far as vision goes and it would sell far more. I mean, I want to play games the way I play them now, with keyboard and mouse, but I wouldn't mind the IMMERSION part of it, you know, where you only see ingame world without any of your desk, peripherals, monitor frame and wall behind it etc and everything is directly in your face without any gap between your eyes and the monitor 1m away (or 2-3m with consoles and TV's). I don't believe in VR the way they are selling it now, but I'd totally buy it for such purpose. When? Probably never coz they are still trying to do this VR nonsense...

And what type of games would you want to play like this? For some, it will never work for very obvious reasons. E.g any shooter, or any game you move about in. 

The VR they have now is imo going to take off when it becomes cheap enough for the masses. 

Entry does not meet posting guideline of the Tech News section, and as a result has been moved out.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I just use my Oculus for Sim Racing, Flight Sims and Space Sims now.  (But that's also the whole reason i bought it)  The 'Experiences' are crap.  Ok some of the 360 video ones are AMAZING first time but seeing as most of those are watch once, show all your friends, bury in the back of your library affairs.  There is no market in that.  That's why they are free 9/10 times.  I agree with you it'd be MUCH better to just have the HMD without all the crap and let you use it how you want too.

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

6 hours ago, KE2012 said:

And what type of games would you want to play like this? For some, it will never work for very obvious reasons. E.g any shooter, or any game you move about in. 

The VR they have now is imo going to take off when it becomes cheap enough for the masses. 

You could quite easily set up first person shooters to work with a keyboard and mouse while you wear the HMD.  You just got to map the character 'Body' movement to the keyboard and mouse and leave the 'Head' movement the the HMD sensors.  I'm sure thats how it works when you play Source engine games in VR (However i still have not got this to work in my Oculus)

Edit:  It'll never be cheap enough for the Masses (not for a couple of decades at least)

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

*Their

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

5 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

*Their

We got that comment 6 hours ago courtesy of @DrMacintosh ;) 

Until someone can make a VR experience for me that doesn't make me motion sick after about 15-20 minutes I wont be buying another one, and so far no one has been able to accomplish that.

14 hours ago, RejZoR said:

No. No it did not. Had a go on a Vive and an Oculus, and for sitting, both do well, for standing, both amazing. It may be "niche" in the same way a steering wheel/HOTAS controller or sim is (car/track or aircraft/flight) but those are "working" tech.

Job simulator on the Oculus was great fun, and I think their controllers are better IMO. Beatsabre on the Vive was also great fun, possibly the better headset/tracking... if only I could hack the Oculus controllers into the Vive. XD (Vive controllers have 1 button in a stupid place, and they also fall out your hand).

As to K/B + Mouse, AFAIK you can do that with sims. Elite is one example.

I wasn't talking about a specialized tool, I was talking about VR headsets to be as plug and playable as the regular screens. So you can literally hook them up and use with ANYTHING without the need to anything to be coded specifically for it. Even if it doesn't include any head tracking, although that would be preferable. Just moving the vision from a flat distant screen directly to your head so it basically transforms "observation" of gameplay into "participation" since you'd visually be present in the game and not just observing it on a screen that's far away. That alone would be priceless for me. Not to mention headsets would be much cheaper. Meaning more people would buy them and more devs would care about them, potentially automatically supporting better models by default in every released game.

If such "VR" headset would cost 100-200€ a lot more people would buy them. Compared to actual VR's that are like 500 and more which is a ridiculous price for how little you can actually use them.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

So you can literally hook them up and use with ANYTHING without the need to anything to be coded specifically for it. 

Who said this? Ever?

Price will come down. But slower than they have for mobiles due to a much smaller market. The PS VR is currently at the consumer bargain price and quality mark.

41 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Who said this? Ever?

Price will come down. But slower than they have for mobiles due to a much smaller market. The PS VR is currently at the consumer bargain price and quality mark.

Whole sentences. Read whole damn sentences. You literally threw away the context in front of it...

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

(the feeling where your eyes say you're moving but the rest of the body says you're not),

Thats the biggest reason right there I think

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Whole sentences. Read whole damn sentences. You literally threw away the context in front of it...

No one ever said VR is replacing everything. You also said VR is never going to work. Both are wrong. I also said you are partially right about costs. 

To me, VR has two problems it needs to address:

1. all games need to be compatible with it to a degree (I know there's Steam cinema thing but that's not the same)

2. it needs to be cheaper. Like, a decent VR headset for $100 cheap. Right now it's still pricy even by western standards.

And no, I absolutely do not want to be standing in my room and flailing my arms around with those weird little hand controllers. I want to be sitting in the comfort of my chair or my couch, using kb+m or Xbox1 joypad, and just have the full immersion thing that a VR headset is supposed to provide. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.