Passwords and how they are cracked

FoxAxe

So, for example I had a password 123456

And for more important sites and I used

123456abcd or BFF123456abcd

Would it be as secure as a new password with the same amount of characters.

More specifically: The 1st password gets leaked by the service. Is the second password still safe if its altered from the back or from the back and the front.

1234 is just an example! I'm not going to use it :D

Just now, FoxAxe said:

1234 is just an example! I'm not going to use it

So you say, but it's not long until I'm shitposting from the @FoxAxe account

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It's best to use a unique password for each site, since similar passwords across sites can be guessed easily by anyone.

A girl who loves to love.

2 minutes ago, FoxAxe said:

Is the second password still safe if its altered from the back or from the back and the front

I think that would depend on how the person hacking you was trying to crack your password.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think that would depend on how the person hacking you was trying to crack your password.

Are there ways they can benefit from knowing the 1st part even though they don't know where it is, how long it is or even that it exists in the password?

The length is going to be upwards of 20 characters after the old one. So not easily guessed by a human at least

3 minutes ago, FoxAxe said:

Are there ways they can benefit from knowing the 1st part even though they don't know where it is, how long it is or even that it exists in the password?

The length is going to be upwards of 20 characters after the old one. So not easily guessed by a human at least

If they know the first part, that's still enough to make guesses on everything else.

There are also algorithms and whatnot that can crack passwords, knowing the first part will probably speed that process up.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

17 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If they know the first part, that's still enough to make guesses on everything else.

There are also algorithms and whatnot that can crack passwords, knowing the first part will probably speed that process up.

Ah, another question if you don't mind if I log in using google(portal) and that service gets a security breach is my google password still safe?

21 minutes ago, FoxAxe said:

Ah, another question if you don't mind if I log in using google(portal) and that service gets a security breach is my google password still safe?

I'm not sure about that one, unfortunately.

I would guess if the service didn't store your password, then you would be fine.

3 hours ago, FoxAxe said:

So, for example I had a password 123456

And for more important sites and I used

123456abcd or BFF123456abcd

Would it be as secure as a new password with the same amount of characters.

More specifically: The 1st password gets leaked by the service. Is the second password still safe if its altered from the back or from the back and the front.

It could make it easier to guess what your password is, but any website worth their salt will have the password stored as a salted hash (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_(cryptography)) which makes it extraordinarily difficult to figure out what the input is.

Otherwise if this was the only password I knew from your accounts, it wouldn't necessarily make it easier to guess the other passwords unless I start accumulating more passwords you've used.

3 hours ago, FoxAxe said:

In theory yes, because the way that system works is the website using Google as the authentication service receives a token from Google that you're legitimate. The website shouldn't even have your Google account information other than what's necessary, like your display name.

My passwords are 16 to 20 characters. I use upper and lower cases, numbers and symbols. They are remembered by a manager plus my notebook.

Have fun trying to crack it and you will find it a waste of time when you find that I don't keep important info online. hehehe.

When's Lunch?

Man

i am that person who if you know one of my passwords, you can ruin my life

youtube

reddit

twitch

like 4 other emails

quotev

like 4 more emails

LTT

like 7 more emails

Steam