Differences between Core i5 and Core i5? ?

Go to solution Solved by alex75871,

9400F has +100 MHz base and turbo and no integrated graphics, everything else is the same.

Core i5 (Expensive): https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-8400-Desktop-Processor-Cores/dp/B0759FGJ3Q/
Core i5 (Cheaper): https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-9400F-Processor-Graphicslga1151-Processors/dp/B07MRCGQQ4

Can someone explain what are the differences between the two other than price? The Amazon name for them makes no sense for me at all... ?

clock speed

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

9400F has +100 MHz base and turbo and no integrated graphics, everything else is the same.

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

clock speed

So... the cheaper one has a higher clockspeed since has a higher number after Core i5 or am I missing something? .-. 

F has no IGPU iirc

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, alex75871 said:

9400F has +100 MHz base and turbo, everything else is the same.

Oh... well thanks for the info!
Weird how the cheaper one has more performance... 

Just now, Plutosaurus said:

F has no IGPU iirc

What does IGPU iirc mean and do?

Just now, AnnaTheKitty said:

Oh... well thanks for the info!
Weird how the cheaper one has more performance... 

I have since edited my post to say there is no integrated graphics either.

Essentially you won't need a video card to use the computer. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

integrated graphics, basically if it has it, it means it can work without a GPU

for example, ryzen 3 2200g

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Essentially you won't need a video card to use the computer. 

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

integrated graphics, basically if it has it, it means it can work without a GPU

for example, ryzen 3 2200g

So if I get a graphics card I should still be fine?
But if I choose the more expensive core I wouldn't need a graphics card?
All I am doing is just making a little Custom PC in order to run a modded game server .-.

10 minutes ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

Core i5 (Expensive): https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-8400-Desktop-Processor-Cores/dp/B0759FGJ3Q/
Core i5 (Cheaper): https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-9400F-Processor-Graphicslga1151-Processors/dp/B07MRCGQQ4

Can someone explain what are the differences between the two other than price? The Amazon name for them makes no sense for me at all... ?

The i5-8400 is previous generation stock. When Intel stops making items from the last generation, they typically don't slash prices on them to dump old stock like AMD will (looking at you, Ryzen 5 1600). That -8400 is actually selling above MSRP, likely due to the lack of stock remaining and the reality that new stock is not coming down the pipeline.

The -9400F is more or less the same CPU as the -8400, but it doesn't have integrated graphics. You'll need a graphics card to use it, but otherwise it's basically the same thing. It's selling a bit below MSRP there, probably to try and snap up Ryzen 5 market share before the 3000 series drops. If the builder jumped on a 9400F, they don't need that new Ryzen-based PC anymore do they?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

All I am doing is just making a little Custom PC in order to run a modded game server .-.

in that case the cheap one and a very cheap gpu

5 minutes ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

Yes if you buy a GPU then either of those CPU's would do fine, and obviously get whatever is cheaper. (they both perform the same)

technically the 9400F is 2% faster, but eh.. i'll just call it the same

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Thanks for the info!
Would this work as a cheap GPU or does it have to have some more power for the system?
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-PCI-Express-Full-Height-Graphics-Compatible/dp/B00GNJNO3W/

No, this is too slow even for running Windows alone, also i doubt it's supported on Windows 7 and up

Thanks for the info!
Would this work as a cheap GPU or does it have to have some more power for the system?
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-PCI-Express-Full-Height-Graphics-Compatible/dp/B00GNJNO3W/

Grab something with at least HDMI. Look around on used sites, you can find HD 5450s easily for $5.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Thanks for the help! ❤️

welcome :)

32 minutes ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

Thanks for the info!

if you're just gonna get some display adaptor then just get the 8400 instead, you won't be seeing the performance gain from a meager 100mhz increase.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W