why are laptop hard drives so slow?

Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

Simple answer, most of it are 5400rpm, which is slow by design and to keep power consumption lower than regular 7200rpm, but there are some 7200rpm laptop drive.

With the reduced power consumption it comes with reduced responsiveness / higher seek time.

7 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

i thought it was because that the disk is smaller than normal desktops and it has to read all that data within a very small disk

On the contrary, because the disk is smaller, the head won't need to travel much larger distance everytime it needs to pick up data.

And the data on the same sector won't need to travel as long because of the shorter diameter.

If the disk is the same speed (7200rpm) and same power, it should be faster than 3.5 inch drive.

But again, the speed and power is reduced for efficiency.

its one simple question thats killing me and i think i know the answer but i want to make sure, why are laptop mechanical hard drives so slow, its killing me, i have to wait like 3 minutes for my laptop disk activity to go down to at least 60% after opening it from sleep, yes sleep not boot up, its a hitachi 700gb hard drive and its gettin slow, looking for a ssd but for now i just want to know why.

2 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

its a hitachi 700gb hard drive

What RPM? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Laptop Hard drives run at 5400 RPMs. This is much slower than the already slow 7200 RPM. Laptop manufactorers won't put the 7200 RPM hard drives in their laptops because laptops are portable, and can be moved around. A 7200 RPM hard drive will fail very quickly (1 year or 2) if it's moved around frequently. Also 7200 RPM Hard drives consume much more power compared to 5400 rpm hard drives

platter is physically smaller so less data passes by the head every time it spins around

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Wufflez said:

Laptop Hard drives run at 5400 RPMs. This is much slower than the already slow 7200 RPM. Laptop manufactorers won't put the 7200 RPM hard drives in their laptops because laptops are portable, and can be moved around. A 7200 RPM hard drive will fail very quickly (1 year or 2). Also 7200 RPM Hard drives consume much more power compared to 5400 rpm hard drives

i thought it was because that the disk is smaller than normal desktops and it has to read all that data within a very small disk

Just now, just that pc guy said:

Yeah that's true too. I forgot to add that. Laptop HDD's disks are 2.5" in diameter compared to a desktop HDD's disk at 3.5" in diameter.

HDD’s are just in general .... slow. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

HDD’s are just in general .... slow. 

true but mine is on a whole level of slow, i actually have to use the derangement to keep it up to speed, thats how bad its gotten

1 minute ago, just that pc guy said:

true but mine is on a whole level of slow, i actually have to use the derangement to keep it up to speed, thats how bad its gotten

How old is it?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

How old is it?

from 2012, its got a 3rd gen i5 and 8gb ram, its a good laptop, its just the hard drive is really holding it back

Simple answer, most of it are 5400rpm, which is slow by design and to keep power consumption lower than regular 7200rpm, but there are some 7200rpm laptop drive.

With the reduced power consumption it comes with reduced responsiveness / higher seek time.

7 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

On the contrary, because the disk is smaller, the head won't need to travel much larger distance everytime it needs to pick up data.

And the data on the same sector won't need to travel as long because of the shorter diameter.

If the disk is the same speed (7200rpm) and same power, it should be faster than 3.5 inch drive.

But again, the speed and power is reduced for efficiency.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

26 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

its one simple question thats killing me and i think i know the answer but i want to make sure, why are laptop mechanical hard drives so slow, its killing me, i have to wait like 3 minutes for my laptop disk activity to go down to at least 60% after opening it from sleep, yes sleep not boot up, its a hitachi 700gb hard drive and its gettin slow, looking for a ssd but for now i just want to know why.

700gb means it's old as f***

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 hour ago, just that pc guy said:

from 2012, its got a 3rd gen i5 and 8gb ram, its a good laptop, its just the hard drive is really holding it back

Yeah that’s pretty old mate... NVMe m.2 drives push up to 3.5GB/s nowadays