What do you want out of the next windows OS?

benstalls

In my previous post (dont bother looking back at it) I wondered if I should roll back to Windows 7. To put it into one word, don't.

So it got me thinking, what do I and others want out of the next operating system that Microsoft rolls out? I'd simply like less bloatware and better optimization.

What about the community? What do you want out of the next OS? 

If they could get boot times back down to how they were with 8/8.1, I'd be happy. I can deal with Windows 10 being a temperamental piece of shit, but the total ass boot times (compared to when my desktop was still on 8.1, or especially compared to my laptop on 10) infuriate me to no end.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Reliability and consent. Like macOS.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If I could only get one feature added it would be actually GOOD display scaling. I love high res displays but with how poorly windows handles scaling it almost always causes me to switch back to my 1080p display.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Seeing the responses here makes me feel like I have Jesus fingers or something.

• Windows reliability hasn't been an issue for me for almost the past decade. As the Apple camp puts it for their OS, "It Just Works." Most of the time anyway.
  • Performance isn't an issue for me either. At least for my needs.
    • And I'm not even convinced Windows 10 could use "more optimizations," because I got it running on an ASUS T100 tablet which came with a full version of Windows 8. The tablet itself could barely run Half-Life 2, yet was just fine for me for basic tasks.
5 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

If I could only get one feature added it would be actually GOOD display scaling. I love high res displays but with how poorly windows handles scaling it almost always causes me to switch back to my 1080p display.

Although, this is about the only thing I would like, if anything. Only a handful of apps I've played with in my experience with a high density display wouldn't scale. But in Microsoft's defense, most of them were doing their own thing for the GUI.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Although, this is about the only thing I would like, if anything. Only a handful of apps I've played with in my experience with a high density display wouldn't scale. But in Microsoft's defense, most of them were doing their own thing for the GUI.

When I made this comment I wasn't talking as much about apps that wont scale, but more so how poorly Windows handles the scaling of everything.

First if you make any scaling changes you have to LOG OUT?! This feels unacceptable to me.

Multi monitor display scaling is terrible and causes all kinds of weird issues when moving across screens with different scaling percentages.

The stupid notification of "Some apps may appear blurry, would you like us to fix that for you?" is the most annoying part of the whole thing, especially if your display is 4K or something but you're trying to run a game at 1080 or 1440, it pops up and turns off fullscreen and then you try to click "don't show again" but the notification randomly disappears so now you've gotta wait for this dumb piece of shit to pop up again and try again, although on your next attempt you're just as likely to somehow get a completely useless help window to pop up that explains ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Complete dog shit. 

And lastly the performance overhead for scaling, I get that higher res displays are harder to push in general, but displays that I have scaled always feel so much worse than being at 100%. 

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

I have my main PC on Windows 10 and my "Media" PC on Windows 7. My 10 has a SSD and my 7 has a normal HDD out of a laptop. The 7 boots faster :P I love 7 and I am even thinking about downgrading my current rig to it.

Main PC

------------

i5-9400f @2.9GHz | Corsair H100i Elite Capellix |Gigabyte RGB GTX1060 6GB | Corsair CX650M | Island Professional 120GB SSD | Toshiba 2TB HDD | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16 DDR4 3200MHz  | Corsair iCUE 220T | Windows 10 Pro | CPU R20 Cinebench Score -  pts | OpenGL FPS -  FPS | Novabench Score (OC) -  Base - 

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry Mx Red | Corsair Glaive RGB

Streaming PC (HP Compaq 8100 SFF)

------------

Xeon X3440 @2.53GHz | Radeon HD 6450 | HP Compaq 240watt PSU | Toshiba 1TB HDD | Samsung 2x4 DDR3 1333MHz | HP Compaq 8100 SFF | Windows 10 Pro | CPU Cinebench Score - 409 cb | OpenGL FPS - 16.77 FPS | Novabench Score (OC) - 991 Base - 938

Keyboard and Mouse

------------

Logitech G413 Silver White LED Romer-G Switch | Old Gateway Mouse

Monitors

------------

AOC - 21.5" IPS LED FHD Model - l2279VWHE | AOC - 24" TN Panel FHD 144hz 1ms Response - Model G2460PF

The option to out right uninstall anything I want. Nvm.. How about a bare bones OS. Just the basics. Nothing else. A stripped down version.

36 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

If they could get boot times back down to how they were with 8/8.1, I'd be happy. I can deal with Windows 10 being a temperamental piece of shit, but the total ass boot times (compared to when my desktop was still on 8.1, or especially compared to my laptop on 10) infuriate me to no end.

The boot times for windows 10 are not any slower.

You probably just didn't clean install it or something, because it should take only a few seconds when installed properly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

35 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

If you have bad boot times while using a 120GB 840 EVO, then something besides the boot setup is goofy.

33 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

First if you make any scaling changes you have to LOG OUT?! This feels unacceptable to me.

If the application is Hi-DPI aware, then it doesn't require relogging in. Reading https://cmdrkeene.com/dpi-scaling-with-multi-monitor/ makes me believe Microsoft put in the hooks for making applications Hi-DPI aware.

As for why it requires a relogging in, I dunno. Maybe it's an environment thing.

Multi monitor display scaling is terrible and causes all kinds of weird issues when moving across screens with different scaling percentages.

When I tried it the only quirk I've had was dragging a window from the Hi-DPI side to the normal DPI side and the window was blown up on the normal DPI until it was over halfway across the transition. And this is understandable, it's a limitation of the windowing system in general because the window's going to be rendered at one resolution. I've yet to seen a desktop environment where I have two monitors with different resolutions but one has scaling to match the other, and the deadzones where the mouse cursor stops at on the higher resolution monitor are still there as if it were at 100%.

DPI is a physical property, it doesn't translate well to computers.

The stupid notification of "Some apps may appear blurry, would you like us to fix that for you?" is the most annoying part of the whole thing, especially if your display is 4K or something but you're trying to run a game at 1080 or 1440, it pops up and turns off fullscreen and then you try to click "don't show again" but the notification randomly disappears so now you've gotta wait for this dumb piece of shit to pop up again and try again, although on your next attempt you're just as likely to somehow get a completely useless help window to pop up that explains ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Complete dog shit. 

I haven't ran into that one, if only because I don't use exclusive full screen if I can get away with it. That or I game on my 1440p monitor the 4K one wouldn't be changing resolutions anyway.

And lastly the performance overhead for scaling, I get that higher res displays are harder to push in general, but displays that I have scaled always feel so much worse than being at 100%. 

I guess I have Jesus fingers then, because I never had a problem when I tried it.

24 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

The option to out right uninstall anything I want. Nvm.. How about a bare bones OS. Just the basics. Nothing else. A stripped down version.

The problem with this is it creates fragmentation on what the application developers can expect. Windows back in the 9x days used to be very customizeable as to what you can install, to the point where you could choose where to install Windows itself. Well if you can't expect the common libraries to be somewhere in C:\Windows, then what? Have the application figure out each time where the library is? Or what if you find out that most of the things you used require a bunch of libraries you thought weren't needed?

I've already experienced some of this with some Linux distros. It's incredibly annoying to find out what you were used to having because it was the default on one distro not actually be a thing on the other. So either you have to find what the equivalent is that they installed or get it from the package repo, assuming the app even exists on it.

My one gripe with Windows is the amount of bloat there is to begin with. All I would like when I first install Windows 10 is basic apps like clock, settings, photo viewer etc.

I don't need Xbox, 3D Viewer, 3D paint, all of this nonsense, I would prefer for all of this junk to be removed right from the beginning.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

11 hours ago, kb5zue said:

If you have bad boot times while using a 120GB 840 EVO, then something besides the boot setup is goofy.

Yeah it's not. No matter how many times I've installed 10 on my desktop, the boot times are always complete shit.

11 hours ago, Enderman said:

The boot times for windows 10 are not any slower.

You probably just didn't clean install it or something, because it should take only a few seconds when installed properly.

Last I checked nuking the partitions in the installer and making it start fresh was indeed a clean install, so yeah.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

7 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

Yeah it's not. No matter how many times I've installed 10 on my desktop, the boot times are always complete shit.

Last I checked nuking the partitions in the installer and making it start fresh was indeed a clean install, so yeah.

Maybe you should run crystaldiskinfo and crystaldiskmark.

Also clean installing properly is not just deleting partitions.

You should also have all drives except one plugged in, bios set to optimized defaults with fast boot on, only one monitor plugged in, and the minimum amount of peripherals or other USB devices.

Then after installing you let it sit for a few hours while it installs stuff, then you run windows update and install everything there.

Also in task manager you need to disable any startup processes that are unnecessary.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Also clean installing properly is not just deleting partitions.

Ah yes, getting rid of partitions and having Windows make new ones is clearly not a clean install. Obviously it's just upgrading the old install. ??

Thanks for the standard-fare install tips. If only I started something similar when I first got into PC's.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler