help me out

Hollingerw2019
2 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

You don't have any idea what your product key is.

Windows 7 machines still had a coa sticker on the computer somewhere that had it on it. Hopefully that wasn't removed from the computer.

6 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

Yeah. They cheated when installing Windows on that computer and it is not a valid license. Kmspico was used to activate the machine. If that is removed, the license will no longer be good after 180 days.

That computer shipped with Windows 7. I would suggest backing up anything you need, installing and activating the version of Windows 7 that shipped with it then upgrade to Windows 10. It should activate then.

ok thank you 

Just now, Hollingerw2019 said:

ok thank you 

i am asking my father about when he brought it from Ebay 

Just now, Hollingerw2019 said:

i am asking my father about when he brought it from Ebay 

If it is recent and you want to try and fight with the seller or eBay they might take it back. Or if they can provide a valid Windows 10 key you can just reinstall and use that key.

I told him about this and he said I don't care even know he is a IT guy 

2 minutes ago, Hollingerw2019 said:

So how do you want to translate that to actions? I would still go the route of trying to clean install Windows 7 and activate and then upgrade.

9 hours ago, Hollingerw2019 said:

Not gonna lie, but I'm pretty surprised!

If your dad works in IT, he should know that getting Windows activated through those tools is a HORRIBLE idea and that he should get a legitimate key.

What you can do is fix the issue with the infected files (as stated above, run a good anti-virus in safe mode), and then hand it back to him.

BTW, not trying to be mean, but if he doesn't care, you shouldn't either. I personally don't mind helping friends and family members, but they have to care about it and want the issue fixed. If they "don't care", you can rest assured that I'm not going to waste my time ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

getting Windows activated through those tools is a HORRIBLE idea

How?

🙂

Just now, duncannah said:

How?

They often contain malware. While some might be false positive, you really want to take your chances?

Edited by wkdpaul

22 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

They often contain malware. While some might be false positive, you really want to take your chances?

Get it from an official source like you would with any other type of software ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

🙂

1 minute ago, duncannah said:

Get it from an official source like you would with any other type of software ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

and now we're getting into recommending piracy ... ;)

Just now, wkdpaul said:

and now we're getting into recommending piracy ... ;)

it's hypothetical; what someone should do with any type of software

🙂

10 minutes ago, duncannah said:

what someone should do with any type of software

Not use them, technically, KMSpico has no official website. There's an official forum though (that I'm not gonna link).

But regardless, using KMS activators is illegal and won't be something that I personally would recommend. It's also not allowed as per the forum's rules.

With all that said, if you're in a situation like the OP, you already have a KMS activator on your PC and the anti-virus is throwing all sorts of warning : get rid of it and get a key, or leave Windows unactivated. (FYI, I think leaving Windows unactivated is safer than getting a grey market key, but that's my personal opinion).

Edited by wkdpaul

12 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Not use them, technically, KMSpico has no official website. There's an official forum though (that I'm not gonna link).

But regardless, using KMS activators is illegal and won't be something that I personally would recommend. It's also not allowed as per the forum's rules.

With all that said, if you're in a situation like the OP, you already have a KMS activator on your PC and the anti-virus is throwing all sorts of warning : get rid of it and get a key, or leave Windows unactivated. (FYI, I think leaving Windows unactivated is safer than getting a grey market key, but that's my personal opinion).

Can I find a way to run Linux on that laptop and how to un-activate that product key? And how come laptop with windows 8.1 turn to windows 10 due to when windows 10 came out through the windows update assisted without using the product key or it transfers over to windows 10. After using it today windows defender was acting normal no annoying notification at all after using another anti-virus in safe mode

11 hours ago, Hollingerw2019 said:

Can I find a way to run Linux on that laptop and how to un-activate that product key? And how come laptop with windows 8.1 turn to windows 10 due to when windows 10 came out through the windows update assisted without using the product key or it transfers over to windows 10. After using it today windows defender was acting normal no annoying notification at all after using another anti-virus in safe mode

Nope, you may want to reinstall, as someone else said you may have luck by relying on the activation offered by your OEM of the OS it was previously installed then trying using windows update to have a legal activation

12 hours ago, Hollingerw2019 said:

Like @Lukyp mentioned, the Windows 7 or 8 key that you have for this laptop might already be good for Windows 10 (Windows 7 and 8 keys are good for Windows 10 installation, the free period was to drive people to upgrade, but as far as I know, every legitimate Win 7&8 keys were "whitelisted" for a Win10 activation).

If it's ok for now (you mentioned there's no more anti-virus warnings), then leave it. If you have a problem in the future, see if the Windows sticker is still on it with the key that came with, if so, try using that to activate Windows 10.