Is this a scam?

Yocracra
Go to solution Solved by TetraSky,

The mouse cost less than 7$ on Aliexpress, was super easy to find, it's literally branded on the picture.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-Wired-Gaming-Mouse-Mice-7-Buttons-Optical-Computer-Mouse-E-Sports-USB-Mouse-For-Computer/32410588498.html

Add to that a 2$ shipping fee and they are still making around 1$ in profit off something they don't even need to stock up or anything waste inventory space for.

Overall, this is an obvious "publicity stunt" to get people on their site with a supposedly "free" product.

(Also take note that that if you have any quantity greater than 1, it won't even let you checkout)

We can't see your cart, mate

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 hour ago, Yocracra said:

So I can buy almost 300 mice for free? Is this a scam? 

Yes, it's a scam.

1 hour ago, SwagMaestro said:

We can't see your cart, mate

Do you really need to see the cart? Who would give 300 mice for free?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, Textosterone said:

almost $10 in shipping. Im good 

Essentially they still made profit...

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.

2 minutes ago, DezGalbie said:

The shipping won't be free, will it?

They probably overcharge for shipping.

Just for fun I put in a fake US Address and it spit out shipping of:

International Post Air Mail - (Please allow 4-6 weeks for shipping)$9.89

LOL I love waiting 4-6 weeks for a cheap chinese-ium mouse.

4 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Just for fun I put in a fake US Address and it spit out shipping of:

International Post Air Mail - (Please allow 4-6 weeks for shipping)$9.89

LOL I love waiting 4-6 weeks for a cheap chinese-ium mouse.

I added 200 to the cart and it refused to give me a shipping method so I would say they don't intend to actually let you buy that many and if they did it would probably be $10 per item :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The mouse cost less than 7$ on Aliexpress, was super easy to find, it's literally branded on the picture.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-Wired-Gaming-Mouse-Mice-7-Buttons-Optical-Computer-Mouse-E-Sports-USB-Mouse-For-Computer/32410588498.html

Add to that a 2$ shipping fee and they are still making around 1$ in profit off something they don't even need to stock up or anything waste inventory space for.

Overall, this is an obvious "publicity stunt" to get people on their site with a supposedly "free" product.

(Also take note that that if you have any quantity greater than 1, it won't even let you checkout)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

of course its a scam nothing is free in life

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

Usual rule of thumb on this planet is that if you have to ask the question "is this a scam?" then it probably is.  This offer looks sillier than that one time that Nigerian prince wanted to give me millions of dollars and all I had to do was give my banking information.

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Usual rule of thumb on this planet is that if you have to ask the question "is this a scam?" then it probably is.  This offer looks sillier than that one time that Nigerian prince wanted to give me millions of dollars and all I had to do was give my banking information.

*wags finger* But the one time its not a scam.....

3 minutes ago, slashqpbyte said:

*wags finger* But the one time its not a scam.....

The one time it's not a scam will probably turn out to be a trap AFTER you buy it.  Example, you buy 300 mice for $10 total that were new, not used old mice with the rubber ball.  Then you have to turn them into the feds because it turns out they weren't supposed to be sold but donated to an impoverished school district for their computer program.

I mean, it's not paranoia if you're right.  Or maybe it's justified paranoia?

2 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

The one time it's not a scam will probably turn out to be a trap AFTER you buy it.  Example, you buy 300 mice for $10 total that were new, not used old mice with the rubber ball.  Then you have to turn them into the feds because it turns out they weren't supposed to be sold but donated to an impoverished school district for their computer program.

I mean, it's not paranoia if you're right.  Or maybe it's justified paranoia?

No, I was talking about the Nigerian prince. The mice thing is totally a scam.

It reckons there's a limit of 1 per person anyway.

I doubt it's a scam neccassarily, more so a miss-leading cost.

13 minutes ago, N1NJ4W4RR10R said:

It reckons there's a limit of 1 per person anyway.

I doubt it's a scam neccassarily, more so a miss-leading cost.

I'd call not being up front about costs dishonest or scam-like.  Like those people that sell used books on Amazon for $2 with $10 shipping and it's not a dictionary or textbook.

I can't believe you actually had to ask that.
I also can't believe you thought you could get more than one for $10. It clearly says there's a limit.

Sometimes I just shake my head at how naive people can be...

7 hours ago, Lurick said:

I added 200 to the cart and it refused to give me a shipping method so I would say they don't intend to actually let you buy that many and if they did it would probably be $10 per item :P

Because it's limited to one per person...

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

They don't pay anything for shipping, so it's pure profit.

9 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

I'd call not being up front about costs dishonest or scam-like.  Like those people that sell used books on Amazon for $2 with $10 shipping and it's not a dictionary or textbook.

What's dishonest about buying a used book?

Don't worry, I already know the answer. Nothing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I just used google images and searched for the image with the mouse and found these

image.png.514c4a02cd425e57bf35fa2c2272628f.png

image.png.087f33ce6a452eeec1c2e01ccb796394.png

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

They don't pay anything for shipping, so it's pure profit.

They kinda do actually. If you select "China" as the "Ships from" location on AliExpress, you get this :

Shipping: US $2.09 to Canada via AliExpress Standard Shipping.

Now if they allowed multiple quantity while charging extra for it, then they would be making a bigger profit because shipping cost doesn't add up, it stays $2.09 up to 5 mice..

That is, if they use AliExpress. They could easily be getting their products from the supplier directly or some other webstore in China that offer cheaper prices.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Ah. I didn’t catch the part where you can only buy one. That makes much more sense now. Thanks!

Now how do I close this thread?

7 minutes ago, Yocracra said:

Now how do I close this thread?

A member of LTT staff (mod or admin) would have to do it.

" Post removal requests and move requests should be made by reporting the post using the exclamation triangle button at the bottom of the post. "

(https://linustechtips.com/main/staff/)

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler