Is DDoS attacks a way of brute force hacking

MrBurns22
Go to solution Solved by Acid Panda,

so a quick explanation: DDOS is flooding the servers with tonnes of information that causes slow downs and may even take down the servers for a while. so to take down the service hence the S

Brute force is use mostly as a password or code cracking by sending loads of requests to a point say a login for something. so you try again and again until you get it. 

people write soft ware to narrow down the possibilities of what the password could be and then the script takes it from there.

Now DDOS can be used with conjugation with brute force to somewhat hide the attempts to gain access to something meaning that the server depending on who it is and how its set up may not see that you have tried to login 6000 time to the same account without locking it.

do more research and explain it better than i have

if people who are more knowledgeable than me on this please note so i can correct or delete this

hi i was just wondering if DDoS attacks are a way of brute force hacking on to something as i need to know for my college assignment as i am typing up what DDoS is and it does

if you are doing an assignment then id suggest  looking into it yourself. 

but afaik its not a brute force hacking, but a way of overwhealming servers with requests to the point they slow down or stop operations. 

dont quote me on this as i havent doublechecked and its been a while since i looked into that sort of thing. 

4 minutes ago, MrBurns22 said:

hi i was just wondering if DDoS attacks are a way of brute force hacking on to something as i need to know for my college assignment as i am typing up what DDoS is and it does

https://wpcerber.com/mitigating-brute-force-dos-and-ddos-attacks/

My Rig: CPU: i9-9900k (5Ghz), Ram: 32gigs 3600mhz DDR4 CL16, MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus z390 Ultra, HDD: Samsung 970 Evo 500gig x2, Samsung 850 evo 250 gig, 2 TB Baracuda 7200 rpm,6tb WD Black 7200rpm, 4TB NAS, GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Master

so a quick explanation: DDOS is flooding the servers with tonnes of information that causes slow downs and may even take down the servers for a while. so to take down the service hence the S

Brute force is use mostly as a password or code cracking by sending loads of requests to a point say a login for something. so you try again and again until you get it. 

people write soft ware to narrow down the possibilities of what the password could be and then the script takes it from there.

Now DDOS can be used with conjugation with brute force to somewhat hide the attempts to gain access to something meaning that the server depending on who it is and how its set up may not see that you have tried to login 6000 time to the same account without locking it.

do more research and explain it better than i have

if people who are more knowledgeable than me on this please note so i can correct or delete this

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

DDoS isn't even hacking technically, it's just throwing shit (nonsense requests) at a server until it caves. In the word of hacking it is usually used to 'disguise' a real hack, like @Acid Panda said

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

What I recall from my studies Brute Force is a method to solve specific algorithm problems. It can be used in hacking for example trying to obtain passwords, you write an algorithm that tries various combinations until it hits the right one. But this is very easily countered. In programming from other people experience it can be used when you're not sure what solution to your problem is valid so you write a piece of code that tries different solutions until it gets the correct one and then proceeds. Correct if I'm wrong please this is an interesting topic.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

if you are doing an assignment then id suggest  looking into it yourself. 

but afaik its not a brute force hacking, but a way of overwhealming servers with requests to the point they slow down or stop operations. 

dont quote me on this as i havent doublechecked and its been a while since i looked into that sort of thing. 

pretty much, someone gets a botnet to send a bunch of fake requests until the servers get overwhelmed since the server will wait abit before dropping the request if they don't receive a confirmation signal. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 hours ago, MrBurns22 said:

If we define "hacking" to mean trying to gain access to a system, then DDoS is not a method of hacking. It's a type of security attack though. All a DDoS is doing is flooding the target with dummy requests to the point where the target becomes too busy to service anything else. If gaining access to the target is your goal, then you didn't actually hack into it.

no its just someone being a script kitty. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs