Im looking for a decent 750 watt psu.

BoreVore
Go to solution Solved by BrinkGG,
2 minutes ago, BoreVore said:

Im not sure as too what 750 watt psu to get. Theres a lot on the market but I really don't now much about them. Im just looking to get one a fair price relative to what it offers. 

May I suggest the PSU tier list? It's a good place to start when picking PSUs. 

Im not sure as too what 750 watt psu to get. Theres a lot on the market but I really don't now much about them. Im just looking to get one a fair price relative to what it offers. I have an amd ryzen 5 2600 and gtx 1080 rog strix. A gold rated psu within 80 to 110 dollars is what im looking for. 

Edit: I live in the US. 

Edited by BoreVore

Are you sure you need 750? That's more than most need (just checking).

Basically any reputable brand with 80+ certification that isn't the Corsair CX (which I heard is bad) that happens to be on sale. 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

2 minutes ago, BoreVore said:

Im not sure as too what 750 watt psu to get. Theres a lot on the market but I really don't now much about them. Im just looking to get one a fair price relative to what it offers. 

May I suggest the PSU tier list? It's a good place to start when picking PSUs. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

22 minutes ago, BoreVore said:

I have an amd ryzen 5 2600 and gtx 1080 rog strix. A gold rated psu within 80 to 110 dollars is what im looking for.  

Corsair RM550x or Bitfenix Whisper M. Both around $80, depending what store you buy from.

A system with a Ryzen 5 2600 + GTX 1080 = around 300w total system draw under full load.

18 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

Basically any reputable brand with 80+ certification that isn't the Corsair CX (which I heard is bad) that happens to be on sale. 

A) Just because it has 80+ certification doesn't mean it's good. There's plenty of shit PSUs with 80+ ratings.
B) The grey label Corsair CX units are some of the best value units you can buy at the moment. Especially with the $20 rebates that are often available. Whoever told you that it was a bad unit was wrong.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Corsair RM550x or Bitfenix Whisper M. Both around $80, depending what store you buy from.

A system with a Ryzen 5 2600 + GTX 1080 = around 300w total system draw under full load.

A) Just because it has 80+ certification doesn't mean it's good. There's plenty of shit PSUs with 80+ ratings.
B) The fuck? The grey label Corsair CX units are some of the best value units you can buy at the moment. Especially with the $20 rebates that are often available.

A) I'm following linus' word about the 80+  reputable brand thing (he added he wanted gold after I replied)

B) Whenever someone whispers of the CX everyone literally pile in and trash it. If you say it's not so bad, I trust your word.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

Just now, SwagMaestro said:

A) I'm following linus' word about the 80+  reputable brand thing (he added he wanted gold after I replied)

LTT pretty much use whatever is provided to them by their sponsor, which is typically some flagship 1000W+ Seasonic or Corsair unit that costs $250.

The CX series of PSU are actually pretty good quality. DC-DC, LLC resonant, decent rifle bearing fan, full suite of protections... On units that start at $40, that's really good. I can't think of anything else at that price point that will come close in terms of quality.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx450-psu,5678.html

The only issue with the grey label CX series is the CX450 only has one PCIe connector, meaning if you are powering a high powered GPU (such as a GTX 1080) it's not suitable as you lack the required PCIe cables. The rest of the CX units have more than one PCIe connector and are fine. So just get a CX550 if you're powering something that requires 2 PCIe cables. And to be fair on the CX450, if you're buying a $700 graphics card you can spend more than $40 on a PSU and buy something else anyway.

The older ones like the CX600 weren't as good, but they have been discontinued for some years now so you won't really find them in stores. Maybe that was what you were seeing people criticise? Or maybe it's just people who don't know what they're talking about who say that Corsair is shit because they're a Seasonic fanboy that would rather a group regulated M12ii/S12ii just because it has a Seasonic label on it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

LTT pretty much use whatever is provided to them by their sponsor, which is typically some flagship 1000W+ Seasonic or Corsair unit that costs $250.

The CX series of PSU are actually pretty good quality. DC-DC, LLC resonant, decent rifle bearing fan, full suite of protections... On units that start at $40, that's really good. I can't think of anything else at that price point that will come close in terms of quality.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx450-psu,5678.html

The only issue with the grey label CX series is the CX450 only has one PCIe connector, meaning if you are powering a high powered GPU (such as a GTX 1080) it's not suitable as you lack the required PCIe cables. The rest of the CX units have more than one PCIe connector and are fine. So just get a CX550 if you're powering something that requires 2 PCIe cables. And to be fair on the CX450, if you're buying a $700 graphics card you can spend more than $40 on a PSU and buy something else anyway.

The older ones like the CX600 weren't as good, but they have been discontinued for some years now so you won't really find them in stores. Maybe that was what you were seeing people criticise? Or maybe it's just people who don't know what they're talking about who say that Corsair is shit because they're a Seasonic fanboy that would rather a group regulated M12ii/S12ii just because it has a Seasonic label on it.

I was referring more to his general WAN show/TQ advice. Obviously what the used in the videos is sponsored and overkill.

And it was a thread I saw just a few days ago and then another around last year... Anyhow, lesson learned. Thank you.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

23 hours ago, BoreVore said:

Im not sure as too what 750 watt psu to get. Theres a lot on the market but I really don't now much about them. Im just looking to get one a fair price relative to what it offers. I have an amd ryzen 5 2600 and gtx 1080 rog strix. A gold rated psu within 80 to 110 dollars is what im looking for. 

Have read great reviews of the Corsair RM750X(think rev2/2018 version) for lowest noise and good in every other way, comes in white too, on sale for less than 100 USD atm. But the Seasonic FOCUS plus gold ones are good and smaller but not as quiet all around 90 bucks usually.

2 hours ago, ChaseDown said:

But the Seasonic FOCUS plus gold ones are good and smaller but not as quiet all around 90 bucks usually.

>Seasonic focus 

Missing 12V OCP? ?

In reality, the probability of a slow short happening that doesn't trip the IC is very small but present. Would rather go with a Whisper M or RMx, both of which have better build quality anyway (whisper m taking the slight edge over rmx due to multi-rail).

2 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

>Seasonic focus 

Missing 12V OCP?

Not missing. Purposely not in place. Because it's a single-12V rail power supply.

You've also implied the RMx is single rail. I don't see your point.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:30 AM, BoreVore said:

I use a 550W PSU with my new VEGA64, so far no Problemo with that, even without VSync.

PS: With VSync my power consumption is in some cases actually LOWER than on Polaris (RX480 Red Devil).

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, Rexper said:

Not missing. Purposely not in place. Because it's a single-12V rail power supply.

You've also implied the RMx is single rail. I don't see your point.

What's the difference between missing and purposely not in place? The fact is, it does not have OCP on 12V. Thus it's probably not the best recommendation for high wattage power supply

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold