Two Pumps, One Reservoir

kenguil

No, this is not an homage to 'Two girls, one cup' (one of the most disgusting things I can't unsee from the interwebz). I was wondering if it's acceptable, practical or even possible to run two loops from the same reservoir. (Where the water would split on the outtake and then re-join on the intake via two three way fittings.

'Why would you be insane enough to do this?' you ask. Well...I want to run a separate loop to my GPU and another to my CPU, however, I don't have room in the case, realistically, for two reservoirs. My thought was they would get to the same temperature at normalization but using dual pumps would cycle the water faster through the GPU and CPU blocks, making it pull heat away from the transfer block more effectively. However, I've also heard that if you water through the block too quickly, it doesn't have sufficient time to transfer the heat to the water making it less efficient.

Anyway, any ideas? If push comes to shove, I'll definitely TRY to squeeze some small-ish reservoirs in here but...

The way I would do it is not using the res as a pass though like most builds. But instead using a "T" from each loop and connecting it to the bottom of the res. 

Still functioning as a res would, like in a car and not have both systems effected if there was a leak in one and the res got low or something like that.

Or do it like normal and use all the holes. Two inlet and two outlet. Best to have both bottom ports feed the pumps and return on the top. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

9 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

The way I would do it is not using the res as a pass though like most builds. But instead using a "T" from each loop and connecting it to the bottom of the res. 

Still functioning as a res would, like in a car and not have both systems effected if there was a leak in one and the res got low or something like that.

Or do it like normal and use all the holes. Two inlet and two outlet. Best to have both bottom ports feed the pumps and return on the top. 

That's something to consider. I hadn't thought about using all the out port holes in the res....

7 minutes ago, kenguil said:

That's something to consider. I hadn't thought about using all the out port holes in the res....

Just get a res with at least 2 on top and two bottom. Or 4 on bottom. 
Then just think of each pair of holes as its own res. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Just get a res with at least 2 on top and two bottom. Or 4 on bottom. 
Then just think of each pair of holes as its own res. 

I can do you a bit better. Phanteks Glacier R160/R220 - inlet and outlet on bottom and side. :) Plus, you can mount the pump to the back of the reservoir instead of the bottom - that way, it's hidden.