Quality of Laptop Today

I dont know if its just me, but I feel within the last few decades, the overall care and quality put into computers has gone downhill. If you check out The 8 bit guys video on computers now vs. then, you will easily see how much passion and care was put into products. Of the many laptops I’ve owned, the next one’s quality seemed worst than the last. It seems like engineers work very hard on the internals and dont really care about the user experience (trackpads and keyboards in particular). These very things are essential parts of a computer and its functionality. For instance, I had a Dell who’s trackpad malfunctioned within the first 10 minutes of light use. Then a Lenovo with such umberable keyboard flex it made the entire keyboard unusable. I think its ridiculous that one must spend in excess of 1500 dollars to get a DECENT trackpad and keyboard. Im sure there are exceptions, but I wish that designers and engineers put more thought into how the unit feels and responds rather than comprimise on quality for performance. Overall, I feel as if the balance between quallity and performance is out sinc and needs to be fixed. Leave a comment about your experiences and thoughts. 

3 minutes ago, RangerR1234 said:

Dell who’s trackpad malfunctioned within the first 10 minutes of light use.

MEE TOO.

Dell trackpads are the worst.

Won’t visit often..

It's a lot easier to market specs than it is a good keyboard/trackpad. It's the same reason why the megapixel/core wars were a thing. 

Low to mid-end has gotten better over the years where it's now bearable while a decade ago it was all utter trash. Meanwhile the high end was good years ago, and for the most part, is still good if not better today in almost every way.

Just now, MrFixitBlankFace said:

MEE TOO.

Dell trackpads are the worst.

The XPS trackpads are fantastic. Don't buy garbage if you want a good experience.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, 79wjd said:

The XPS trackpads are fantastic. Don't buy garbage if you want a good experience.

Come to think of it.......people do like XPS.

Won’t visit often..

6 minutes ago, RangerR1234 said:

I dont know if its just me, but I feel within the last few decades, the overall care and quality put into computers has gone downhill. If you check out The 8 bit guys video on computers now vs. then, you will easily see how much passion and care was put into products. Of the many laptops I’ve owned, the next one’s quality seemed worst than the last. It seems like engineers work very hard on the internals and dont really care about the user experience (trackpads and keyboards in particular). These very things are essential parts of a computer and its functionality. For instance, I had a Dell who’s trackpad malfunctioned within the first 10 minutes of light use. Then a Lenovo with such umberable keyboard flex it made the entire keyboard unusable. I think its ridiculous that one must spend in excess of 1500 dollars to get a DECENT trackpad and keyboard. Im sure there are exceptions, but I wish that designers and engineers put more thought into how the unit feels and responds rather than comprimise on quality for performance. Overall, I feel as if the balance between quallity and performance is out sinc and needs to be fixed. Leave a comment about your experiences and thoughts. 

Welcome to the forums!

The quality of laptops really depend on the laptop itself.

All companies have some bad eggs, and most have some good ones. I have never used a laptop newer than 2013, save for a MBP 2017. Overall quality between said 2017 MBP and my current laptop (Thinkpad X201 Tablet) actually feels pretty similar. Thats an age difference of 7 years between two high end laptops, both solid.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは