XFX HD 7870 Help

tahmid133712

I am new to his forum so please excuse me if I have made a mistake. I am also fairly new to PC gaming and Ive seen the Radeon HD 7870 and its price made me set my eyes on it. To be specific i have the XFX Ghost Single fan HD 7870. It is second hand and i havent taken it apart yet. Whenever I play most games the temperature rockets to 75 to 90 degrees and the fan gets really loud especially if im using my MSI fan control graph thingy. For example, I was playing GTA IV at very high settings which i know the GPU can easily handle but the temperature went up to 80 degrees and I quit the game because the fan was so annoying. I know that GPUs should be fine under 80 degrees and I should only worry if it goes over 85, I did clean as much of it as i could without taking it apart, lots of dust did come out and it looked much better but it didnt change anything temp wise. I didnt want to take it apart yet since i dont have any replacement thermal paste. Can somebody tell me if the GPU is supposed to be loud at around 40 to 60 percent or is it a fault in my card? My GPU has no OC

8 hours ago, RobFRaschke said:

It's a 6+ year old card, you might need to replace the thermal paste.

Would that also fix the fan noise? If not then what would be a suitable upgrade with similar performace. I was thinking about the Asus 1050ti but I wanna know what you guys think

Does the fan sound weird?? Like rattling or so??

Then it might be a bit worn as well...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Does the fan sound weird?? Like rattling or so??

Then it might be a bit worn as well...

No, then appears to be in mint condition from what I see. It doesn't make any rattling noises it's just very loud at high speeds. I will upload a video and embed a link for you guys to see.

2 minutes ago, tahmid133712 said:

No, then appears to be in mint condition from what I see. It doesn't make any rattling noises it's just very loud at high speeds. I will upload a video and embed a link for you guys to see.

In that case all you can do is to do some maintenance on the card (= replace the thermal compound between Heatsink and Chip(s)).

But I think I remember hearing complaints about high fan RPM/noise of the XFX Ghost Single Fan Edition...

Anyway, what Case do you use? Is it open, closed??

How many fans?

58 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

In that case all you can do is to do some maintenance on the card (= replace the thermal compound between Heatsink and Chip(s)).

But I think I remember hearing complaints about high fan RPM/noise of the XFX Ghost Single Fan Edition...

How many fans?

Excuse my internet lol im waiting for the video to upload. Just a heads up, its a Dell Optiplex 990 that Ive modified and kept the stock fans. I dont think airflow is an issue because I had a Geforce GT 610 in there and that served me well even when overclocked. The PC was only bought in January and it was a refurb from an ebay seller. Video link coming soon

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

How many fans?

Here is the video 

2 hours ago, tahmid133712 said:

Here is the video  

every fan when running at full speed will make noise.

i had the 7870 dual x till not that long ago and its most of the time get that hot mainly while gaming on newer titles.

try to replace the thermal compound with high-performance one or even liquid metal it will surely help.

another thing that you can do is to undervolt i manage to keep mine below 75 with a undervolt,but it casue  some flickers on my second display.

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

tower:antec p8 // psu:antec HCG 650w.

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

psu:antec 550w.

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

tower:antec p110 silent // psu:antec HCG 850w.

1 minute ago, aBattleBorn said:

every fan when running at full speed will make noise.

i had the 7870 dual x till not that long ago and its most of the time get that hot mainly while gaming on newer titles.

try to replace the thermal compound with high-performance one or even liquid metal it will surely help.

another thing that you can do is to undervolt i manage to keep mine below 75 with a undervolt,but it casue  some flickers on my second display.

Even at 50 percent fan speed its fairly loud, the temperatures get too high so I have no other option but to increase the fan curve

2 minutes ago, tahmid133712 said:

Even at 50 percent fan speed its fairly loud, the temperatures get too high so I have no other option but to increase the fan curve

on mine everything over 50 would be audible.

just leave the fan on auto unless you gaiming on a newer title if so set the fan to around 70%.

and try the other stuff i told you to try.

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

1 minute ago, aBattleBorn said:

on mine everything over 50 would be audible

ahhhh now i see im not the only one. But the noise is so annoying, I guess if i reapply that thermal paste the temperatures wont be so high and i wont have to have the fan at like 70 or 80 percent.

Just now, tahmid133712 said:

ahhhh now i see im not the only one. But the noise is so annoying, I guess if i reapply that thermal paste the temperatures wont be so high and i wont have to have the fan at like 70 or 80 percent.

its depend on the game.

on fortnite had to set the fan to 70% but on a lot of single player games i just left it on auto and everything was fine.

17 minutes ago, aBattleBorn said:

its depend on the game.

on fortnite had to set the fan to 70% but on a lot of single player games i just left it on auto and everything was fine.

whats the max temp i should allow the gpu to go to before quitting the game, dont wanna do damage

22 minutes ago, tahmid133712 said:

whats the max temp i should allow the gpu to go to before quitting the game, dont wanna do damage

around 90

If the thermal compound has dried out or if a jar to the card has shifted the heatsink enough to crack old thermal compound, then the temps will automatically be higher, thus requiring more fan speed to keep the GPU cool, thus more noise. Get some decent, non-conductive and non-capacitive thermal compound in there to completely replace the GPU thermal compound and I'm sure you'll see an improvement in noise and thermals. Will it be good as new? Possibly not, there are other things that can go wrong over time, but it will be better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 3:37 PM, RobFRaschke said:

If the thermal compound has dried out or if a jar to the card has shifted the heatsink enough to crack old thermal compound, then the temps will automatically be higher, thus requiring more fan speed to keep the GPU cool, thus more noise. Get some decent, non-conductive and non-capacitive thermal compound in there to completely replace the GPU thermal compound and I'm sure you'll see an improvement in noise and thermals. Will it be good as new? Possibly not, there are other things that can go wrong over time, but it will be better.

Late reply, i had replaced the thermal paste with arctic mx-4 2019 edition. It has helped alot but i still see the GPU reaching temps of up to 80 degrees in places like the arena wars in gta online. I dont know if its the single fan thats holding me back or if its something else

I think in this point of time you're out ofluck and the next thing you could do is to replace the Heatsink - wich I don't recommend.

I think I remember now some people complaining about this model beeing not that great...

22 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I think in this point of time you're out ofluck and the next thing you could do is to replace the Heatsink - wich I don't recommend.

I think I remember now some people complaining about this model beeing not that great...

Better off getting a new GPU entirely huh

17 minutes ago, tahmid133712 said:

Öhm, yeah.

A somewhat Decent Radeon HD7970 should be somewhere around 50€ or so.

The Acrtic Accelero Twin Turbo thing is around 40€ or so...

For that money you can get a better card...

And also sell yours for like 25-30€.

1 hour ago, tahmid133712 said:

dude just get your self thermal grizzly kryonaut,my hd 7870 crushed due to overheating some times i swtiched the original thermal paste with artic silver 5 which helped some what and than to Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Paste which helped a lot but still had to manually set the fans to around 75%,with the kryonaut i get after 1 hour of aida 64 around 70-72 C* when earlier i got to almost 80 in 15 min and the fan are on auto and on less than 60% so the gpu is quit.

it is pretty pricey at around 9 usd for 1 gram but it worth it.

ofc i would reccomend to upgrade if you have the money to spare