Virtical GPU mount that doesnt occupy all expansion slots

joedino

Long story short, the pump on my 980ti hybrid died so i got a aftermarket heatsink and some case fans to keep it cool, and it works great! (And i think it looks really cool too) but the weight of the heatsink and fans is causing the card to sag a fair amount and its making me nervous, so i decided a virtical mount would be the best solution to take the strain off the motherboard. I know a few vendors sell adapters, but they take up all the other slots and i need at least one more for my wireless card. The only other solution would be to diy something together, and i dont want to do that if i can buy something pourpose made. 

Couple things you can do. 

1. DIY style and just get a GPU riser cable. If this makes you nervous I wouldn't do it, it's not that hard, though. 

2. Buy a wireless dongle for USB port instead of PCIe so you can take up all 7 expansion bays with GPU vertical mount. 

3. Buy another case with the mount built in. This should allow your wireless card to fit as most cases place the GPU too close to the glass. This may increase GPU temps.

4. Just add support or use a string/zip tie to keep the GPU from sagging. Easiest method. 

5. Ignore the sag and carry on like a soldier. 

If you really want to vertical mount the GPU, I would just get a wireless USB dongle and be done with it. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

23 hours ago, joedino said:

I know a few vendors sell adapters, but they take up all the other slots and i need at least one more for my wireless card. The only other solution would be to diy something together, and i dont want to do that if i can buy something pourpose made. 

Even if you DIY your own version, yoiu're most likely going to find the card itself blocks the rest of the PCI-E slots anyways. 

The honestly easier and alternative method to reducing the strain on your GPU is a support bracket. There's a few types. the DIY method which is to jsut put something under the card to hold it up. It can be strictly functional like a cardboard tube, or have an aesthetic purpose like a lego figure.

Image result for GPU support

Image result for DIY GPU support

If you'd rather a custom solution, there's under bracket solutions like the ones @Mnpctech sells here -> https://mnpctech.com/gpu-support-bracket/

matrix_gpu_980ti_fix_sag_support_bracket_video_graphics_card_bracket_mnpctech1.jpg?

You can also get cheap plastic versions on amazon but they're probably not suited for heavy cards.

https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Support-Holder-Gaming-Bitcoin/dp/B01DQK7DDW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HTWN6G/?tag=pcpapi-20

Fianlly the last option is a adjustable stand from Coolermaster (or others like it)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE308G67173&nm_mc=OTC-Hatch&cm_mmc=OTC-Hatch-_-Cooler+Master-_-Accessories+-+Case+/+Rackmount-_-9SIAE308G67173

11-999-357-V01.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

These brackets allow you to mount your GPU however or wherever you like, if youre OK with cutting opening for video cables

17 years of helping you void your warranty