Watercooling higher oc

Soo I heard someone say in a video Watercooling improves your over clock because your gpu/cpu run's less hot and more wattage can be used for the gpu/cpu therefore. Is this true and if not if you aren't thermal throttling will water than also have a higher overclock ceiling?

Just adding watercooling and nothing else will stablilise what you have at least, but to have a "better" overclock obviously you have to crank up the settings

yeah, for example, if you get 95c on a small tower cooler (hyper 212 or similar), but then upgrade to a 240mm aio (say h100i), then your temps will probably be lower like 70-80c, then you can increase voltage, and thus increase your oc.

watercooling specifically wouldn't get you a  higher OC.

depending on the cooling system you are running, you could get a higher OC. it doesn;t matter if it's air or watercooling, you should aim for the higher thermal dissipation rating when cooling a part.

Water isn't magically better, usually water coolers are good because they have large surface areas but there are plenty of good air coolers with large surface areas as well (and they're a lot cheaper). But yes, when you get a better cooler chances are you can increase your overclock, if your CPU can handle the voltage, but sometimes you're already at the limit.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

-= Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Depends on the cards. With crappy steps like pascal, it helps a lot. 

Like one my of 1080’s runs at 1890hz on air at 70c. Or 2000hz at 40c, still stock settings. Would take quite a lot to overclock to match that on air. Then you’d want to overclock on top of that. I can add 75hz and it will run at 2075 and stay there. Which isn’t the case on air. 

Doesnt bother my kepler cards at all, can overclock as high as I want on air or water and it doesn’t change a thing. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 2/17/2019 at 4:52 PM, The321 said:

Soo I heard someone say in a video Watercooling improves your over clock because your gpu/cpu run's less hot and more wattage can be used for the gpu/cpu therefore. Is this true and if not if you aren't thermal throttling will water than also have a higher overclock ceiling?

There's science behind why lower temps means better overclocks but sadly I'm not very well versed in it to explain. I can only tell you what I've experienced. I'm going to use my FX8350 as an example in this instance. I ran that thing at 5GHz 24/7. On air cooling I couldn't stabilize 4.85GHz what so ever regardless of voltage, when I moved onto watercooling not only was I able to lower my voltages for the given overclock, I gained the 150MHz I wanted for the big 5.

From what I can remember from researching overclocking at that time, it has something to do with how the silicon in the chip reacts to heat, the more heat the more energy it needs to help keep it at it's given speed. That's why people who use sub zero methods gain big clocks and can use high voltage. Sorry I can't go into great detail and I might not be using the correct terms. I hope that helps a little.