Core i5 8250U vs Core i7 8550U??

I was looking at some Dell laptops for my college. There are two variants actually. One is the core i5 and core i7 both 8th generation laptops. They both have 8gb ram, mx150 graphics with 4GB VRAM, 128gb ssd and a 1tb hdd. I am actually confused between the two variants. Can someone actually help me out here? I will be using programming stuff strictly such as Java, C, C++, HTML5, Phython, Visual Basic, Internet based security programming. Any gaming if in case i want to do can be handled by my desktop which is a AMD ryzen 5 1500X based. Can someone help me out as to which one i should go for?? The core i5 or the core i7? And can you please explain me the difference between the two chips?

If you really not use it for any gaming the i5 is good enough. 

Even if you play fortnite or so the i7 8550u is a must. I wouldn't but any notebook without atleast  i7 8550u for gaming.

The difference between them is mostly negligible. Both are 15W quad cores with high turbo and neither are very good at staying cool. There's no major difference to speak of.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Unless your workload benefit from extra 2MB cache and single core performance, there's no reason to go for KBL-R/WHL i7 ULV (eg 8550U, 8650U, 8565U)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

45 minutes ago, Hip said:

Even if you play fortnite or so the i7 8550u is a must. I wouldn't but any notebook without atleast  i7 8550u for gaming.

They are pretty much the same cpu, 4cores 8 threads, base clock is also very similar, but the i7 has a bit higher boost.

So the i7 isn't a must, the i5 is pretty much the same.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

i7 if you have money to waste. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

7 hours ago, Hip said:

Well then you're not very good at spending money.

7 hours ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

I was looking at some Dell laptops for my college. There are two variants actually. One is the core i5 and core i7 both 8th generation laptops. They both have 8gb ram, mx150 graphics with 4GB VRAM, 128gb ssd and a 1tb hdd. I am actually confused between the two variants. Can someone actually help me out here? I will be using programming stuff strictly such as Java, C, C++, HTML5, Phython, Visual Basic, Internet based security programming. Any gaming if in case i want to do can be handled by my desktop which is a AMD ryzen 5 1500X based. Can someone help me out as to which one i should go for?? The core i5 or the core i7? And can you please explain me the difference between the two chips?

As most people have said, they're quite similar. The extra clock speed might help with long compile times if you do any big projects, but the real question is the price. It's worth maybe an extra $50 USD tops.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440