144hz monitor, help me choose

Tevildo

Help me choose a 144hz monitor that has 1ms response time n the colours arent complete shit. Would like it if it was under £300. Thanks. Also size dont matter if its over 24inchs

4 minutes ago, Tevildo said:

Help me choose a 144hz monitor that has 1ms response time n the colours arent complete shit. Would like it if it was under £300. Thanks. Also size dont matter if its over 24inchs

I've got an MPG27C from MSI, it has RGB lighting that's full programmable. Great 144hz, 1ms response time with a VA panel from Samsung. So the colors are somewhere between a TN panel and an IPS but there's a ton of customizing and tuning you can do. You can do it through the monitors interface or the MSI monitor tuning app on the app store. The viewing angles are perfect, there's no washing out or distortion from any angle. It's pretty incredible how far VA panels have come, you can be on the other side of the room look at the panel from the side and it will still maintain its quality. The MPG27C is a 1080p, 27 inch curved display but there's an MPG27CQ variant that's 1440p.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

3 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

I've got an MPG27C from MSI, it has RGB lighting that's full programmable. Great 144hz, 1ms response time with a VA panel from Samsung. So the colors are somewhere between a TN panel and an IPS but there's a ton of customizing and tuning you can do. You can do it through the monitors interface or the MSI monitor tuning app on the app store. The viewing angles are perfect, there's no washing out or distortion from any angle. It's pretty incredible how far VA panels have come, you can be on the other side of the room look at the panel from the side and it will still maintain its quality. The MPG27C is a 1080p, 27 inch curved display but there's an MPG27CQ variant that's 1440p.

How does it feel playing with a curved monitor?? Is it like any different while playin and is it worth gettin a curved monitor??

5 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Also is it still smooth without freesync on as you have an amd gpu?

12 minutes ago, Tevildo said:

Also is it still smooth without freesync on as you have an amd gpu?

It's very smooth, remember, Nvidia launched a driver update that allows G sync to run on free sync monitors. Some games it works, in some games it doesn't, it's not a big deal is what I'm driving at. Playing on a single curved monitor won't negatively effect your experience and you most likely won't notice it. When you get 2 or 3 of these then you'll see a massive difference. I quite like the curve because, even with one monitor I still get that "peripheral" effect.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

55 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

I am gonna say that is marketing BS if they think they can get 1ms response time on a VA panel. 

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I am gonna say that is marketing BS if they think they can get 1ms response time on a VA panel. 

Yep, the 1ms is for the MPRT, not for GTG.  The GTG is 4ms.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

17 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

9 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yep, the 1ms is for the MPRT, not for GTG.  The GTG is 4ms.

Yeah you'd see a dip in dark sections since that's how VA works. OP wanted something with good colors, the GN27DB or GFT are 330$. You can get a 1080p, 144hz IPS display at that price point or for a bit more. VA would be his best bet as far as color reproduction and viewing angles.

The Louvre

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yhhh I saw that VA panels dont really have fast response times. Also can you find a 1080p viotek monitor??

3 hours ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Yeah you'd see a dip in dark sections since that's how VA works. OP wanted something with good colors, the GN27DB or GFT are 330$. You can get a 1080p, 144hz IPS display at that price point or for a bit more. VA would be his best bet as far as color reproduction and viewing angles.

@CharminUltraStrong @Ithanul @Brooksie359How is this monitor?? - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01684HUJU/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

9 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's a decent monitor. 

You got a better monitor? Under the price range of £300. I would do a lot of gaming so TN panel would be good.

5 minutes ago, Tevildo said:

You got a better monitor? Under the price range of £300. I would do a lot of gaming so TN panel would be good.

Honestly I would just save the 100 bucks and stick with the one you linked. If you pay 300 for another 1080p 144hz monitor you won't be getting anything more tbh. You could maybe get a 240hz freesync monitor for around 300. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I would just save the 100 bucks and stick with the one you linked. If you pay 300 for another 1080p 144hz monitor you won't be getting anything more tbh. You could maybe get a 240hz freesync monitor for around 300. 

Is 240hz a massive difference over 140hz? Since my setup has a rtx 2060 i5 8600k. Some e sports games I would get over 240fps but other games doubt it

1 minute ago, Tevildo said:

Is 240hz a massive difference over 140hz? Since my setup has a rtx 2060 i5 8600k. Some e sports games I would get over 240fps but other games doubt it

I could tell the difference when I went from 144hz to 240hz but it wasn't super noticible but it did make me preform a good deal better. When I tried playing on my friends 144hz after I had been using my 240hz for quite some time it was actually quite noticible. My 240hz tn panel is quite a bit better quality wise compared to a lot of 144hz tn monitors so that also makes a difference.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

I could tell the difference when I went from 144hz to 240hz but it wasn't super noticible but it did make me preform a good deal better. When I tried playing on my friends 144hz after I had been using my 240hz for quite some time it was actually quite noticible. My 240hz tn panel is quite a bit better quality wise compared to a lot of 144hz tn monitors so that also makes a difference.

Which monitor do you have and whats the price?

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

I have the Acer gsync version. I would probably get this one if I were you though as you can now use freesync with both AMD and nvidia gpus https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/63cMnQ/aoc-ag251fz-245-1920x1080-240hz-monitor-ag251fz

that monitor is a good price, u got anything else bout i? Like pros and cons of the monitor

1 minute ago, Tevildo said:

that monitor is a good price, u got anything else bout i? Like pros and cons of the monitor

Well it's more expensive than the 144hz alternative but it is also a better monitor so it's really a trade off situation. I personally would rather spend more and get more but some would rather save so it's really a preference thing. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Well it's more expensive than the 144hz alternative but it is also a better monitor so it's really a trade off situation. I personally would rather spend more and get more but some would rather save so it's really a preference thing. 

How would your games be if they weren’t at 240fps??? Have you tried lowering your refresh rate to 144 and how’s that go.

4 minutes ago, Tevildo said:

How would your games be if they weren’t at 240fps??? Have you tried lowering your refresh rate to 144 and how’s that go.

It's still good but not good enough for me. I play overwatch very competitively and the extra refresh rate helps. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's still good but not good enough for me. I play overwatch very competitively and the extra refresh rate helps. 

Have you lowered your refresh rate in the settings before? Does that fk anything up? I know I can get over 200fps on overwatch but other titles maybe not

13 minutes ago, Tevildo said:

Have you lowered your refresh rate in the settings before? Does that fk anything up? I know I can get over 200fps on overwatch but other titles maybe not

Yeah I can set it to 200 if i want to. If I was worried about that I would just enable freesync. That monitor supports freesync so it will change the refresh rate to your in game fps.