Floatplane feature suggestion topic.

RobbinM

Recently Linus expressed that he welcomed suggestions. I haven't seen a central topic it for it though. Maybe here is a good spot?

Watching video's from several creators there are some things that come to mind.

YouTube is failing more and more. Uploads stuck at 360p, video's getting flagged for shitty reasons and so on. No people at support?

People are now opening their eyes and want to bet on multiple horses. In that sense, more platforms is a good thing.

youtube_fail-900x450.jpg

If I was a content creator, I'd like to hassle-free import my whole channel into Floatplane. Is this possible?

This includes video in the highest possible quality, thumbnails, descriptions etc.

A friend recently asked me if Floatplane took off already. I answered him that it currently just floats.

But I would like to see it take off, and now is the best time because YT is a mess.

So how come that Floatplane is not having masses of creators already? What's holding them back from using your platform?

There are sites that allow you to upload your video's to multiple platforms in 1 go, have you guys talked to them yet?

Anyways, I figure if It was as easy to setup for a creator as just set the source YouTube channel for their Floatplane channel, they don't have to go through extra steps every video.

This way the platform will grow very quickly. It requires the least energy for the platform to gain momentum.

Thoughts? Other ideas for Floatplane? Or have I just missed the Floatplane suggestion topic altogether and does my topic not have existential rights. Let me know.

maxresdefault.jpg

No signature found

So how come that Floatplane is not having masses of creators already? What's holding them back from using your platform?

Expandability and optimization from what I've heard.

Infrastructure upgrades take a while - they've been maxing out the live bandwidth while streaming WAN show. Adding more creators on a platform that's not quite ready will off-put more later. It's not worth it to take that risk right now.

The best answers would come from @Slick or somebody else who works on the FP side of things.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

It's easier to get things ready with smaller, and more tech oriented crowds.

Would uploading your old videos to FP be worth the time it's gonna take to you and your subscribers? Considering that they haven't talked about option to just view videos on FP for free. Or at least not as base option. Maybe it will be per creator to choose.

Somehow I also feel like you have misunderstood the point of the service. Don't worry, it seems to be fairly common thing. Floatplane won't be service to replace YouTube. Your channel is unlikely to grow on FP. It's place for your supporters to pay for something extra. Just like they did on Vessel and do for Patreon.

Overall, Luke is the person you want to contact for more information. We on the forums are just gathering drops of info there is.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv