Can we talk about International Tech Prices

HippyLibtard

I mean the Title says it all. I live in England so naturally I use the pound but after spending the past few days looking at deals and prices i have come to see that the pricing in pounds is (in most cases) the same as the USD pricing. I was looking at a RTX 2060 on amazon and the price is $399.99 but then i switch over to pounds and its £499.99. This may be an outlier but i still think it is rather ridiculous.

I then go to check the Iphone Xs max (not that i want one at all but it was a test). The base model costs £999.99 and i look at the us store and its $999.99. I'm interested to see what it is like in your particular country and if you think you know why this is happening.

I just wanted to see others peoples opinion on this because at this point its cheaper in some cases to buy one from a us store.

Related Links:

RTX 2060:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MLTTDXS?psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MLTTDXS?psc=1

IPhone Xs:

https://www.apple.com/us_kiosk_153148/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-xs

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-xs#

US Import Fees/GST

VAT

Shipping

Customs asking again for VAT sometimes because they're retarded

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

3 minutes ago, seoz said:

I think you're forgetting about US tax and shipping costs.

As far as I'm aware, US prices don't include the tax, whereas our UK prices include the tax in the price already.

The tax still wouldn't make up for the exchange rate and in these two example delivery is free so that's a non issue.

Here in Brazil I have a simples formula:

Get the price is USD > Multiply by 4 to convert (rounding up the comversion rate) > Multiply by 2 because of taxes and profit margins > YAY, you got you ""fair"" final price! If you are unlucky it may cost even more because it is an unnusual item.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

I seem to recall something about the PS3 launch price being similar on both sides of the pond. Like, $499 against £450 or something. That was criminal.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

29 minutes ago, HippyLibtard said:

The tax still wouldn't make up for the exchange rate and in these two example delivery is free so that's a non issue.

I've made few of comparisons over the years. Usually prices within EU are +-€20. With tax, but without shipping and other fees. US is cheaper, even after tax. But it's hard to see that from listed prices as tax is added based on customers location, and with some states it's not paid up front to the store. There was big news concerning Neweggs take on this and some states forcing tax collection on them.

Reading about all the hoops and misses with US consumer laws, I don't mind paying bit more if that's the price for getting better warranty for example.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

34 minutes ago, HippyLibtard said:

UK VAT is 20%.

As for shipping, it should only really make a difference if it's something that last lane of production is in US and not Asia

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

This has been discussed many many many times on the forum. Please use the forum Search feature.

1. In the Europe and in many countries, you have sales tax included in the price. In US and Canada and few other regions sales taxes is NOT included. This is because, in the case of Canada and US, at the very least, prices varies based on your location. You may even have a city level sales tax added. So to keep things simple in knowing the MSRP of a product and simplify store operation pricing, including website and advertisements done by retailers, sales taxes is not included.
  2. In Europe, as with other regions, you have governmental import tax goods which is past the consumers (always) and so the price is higher.
  3. The longer the distance, between the warehouse/manufacture the higher the cost, as shipping costs increases. In addition, fees can go high, real quick, if boats or planes needs to be used to reach the destination. We have the same problem in Canada in the north territories, where frozen bread can easily cost more than 20$ due to the low population, and lack of official roads (needs to wait for the water to turn into ice in winter, and trucks can pass over or use planes).
  4. Market price. If your food, home, etc all costs a lot, you would want a higher salary and this means that everything costs more, and this results in higher product prices. You also have the expected value. If companies market research sees that you're willing to sell your home, car, and 2 kidney for a mirror... then good chances that the mirror will not cost $1 which is already 100% profit for the company, but rather $100,000, if not more, if you get what I am trying to say. Also, supply and demand. If you are in a region with low interest in a product you want, good chances that it will cost more, due to low supply being delivered.

Talk about day time robbery 
that's 2400$ for 2080TI

image.png.b80a0419090c50ba81663db0f468e182.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Rtx 2060 founder edition in india is ₹31000 or about 435 dollars

How the price evens out

D27DD2F4-438F-4A90-8592-CF0320CB2775.jpeg.04c018f1d70a7875e727a7746d9fe6ff.jpeg

plus to ship to europe, land, 2 oceans or air. All of those are much more expensive than to ship to America. 

Easterm china through Pacific, Indian & Atlantic, eastern China through Pacific, Atlantic, eastern China over the entirety of Eurasia...

unless the English are melting the polar ice caps intentionally to let ships over the north for a potentially cheaper price on GPU, it’s going to be expensive.