Trakt.tv data breach from 2014

chazragg

Received an email from trakt.tv about a data breach they have only just discovered that happened in 2014. 

Straight from the email

We are contacting you today because we have learned of a data breach that occurred back in December 2014. The breach involved some of your personal information such as username, email and encrypted password. Although this happened in 2014, we only recently discovered this, and wanted to promptly provide notice as part of our commitment to your privacy.

THE GOOD NEWS

To any VIPs, no payment information was included in the breach. All payment data is securely held by payment processors and never within our own servers.

Next, in January 2015, we moved from version 1 of our site to version 2. In doing so, we removed any access outsiders had to your information and accomplished three key things to strengthen our security:

1. We moved to a more secure algorithm for storing passwords
  2. Our platform change removed the exploit
  3. The new infrastructure has far tighter restrictions

WHAT HAPPENED

Our investigation is ongoing, but we believe a PHP exploit was used to capture data from Trakt users.

WHAT INFORMATION WAS INVOLVED

We have found that the information lost included email, username, encrypted passwords, name and location.

WHAT WE ARE DOING

We have reset passwords for affected users. Although we believe that our 2015 move to version 2 of our site stopped any ongoing access to user information, we are diligently monitoring our site.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

For all affected users, we have reset your passwords and you will receive an email with a reset link. In addition to that, if you are the type of user to re-use passwords on different sites, we recommend changing your password on all other sites as well. Remember, this is a password from Dec. 2014, so if you have since changed your password, you are already protected.

As an additional resource, check out what Gizmodo suggests to safeguard yourself. Gizmodo: How to stop worrying about every 'Mega' password breach that comes along

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Please see FTC Data Breach Resources

We know you trust us with your data and we failed to protect it. We're incredibly sorry that this happened and hope that you'll let us earn your trust back.

- The Trakt Team

1 minute ago, SlimyPython said:

Ouch... whats trakttv?

websites that you can link music streaming services to which will track what tv series/movies you have matches down to the episode and also recommend others based on your watching habits.

i use it for my Plex server which is nice if i ever need to reinstall plex at any point i don't lose my progression 

3 hours ago, chazragg said:

websites that you can link music streaming services to which will track what tv series/movies you have matches down to the episode and also recommend others based on your watching habits.

i use it for my Plex server which is nice if i ever need to reinstall plex at any point i don't lose my progression 

That sounds like a lot of data gathering...

Wow, am glad I always use different passwords and/or email addresses, could have seriously compromised a lot of people there.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

How did they not figure this out for 5 years?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

44 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

That sounds like a lot of data gathering...

Well, I use my traktv without any linked accounts, just to mark watched Episodes and follow the series schedules and such. Really useful.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

encrypted passwords

WHY!? Why are companies STILL not properly hashing and salting passwords!?

I hope they can be sued by affected customers for negligence.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

3 hours ago, sazrocks said:

"But it's encrypted! No one can possibly get at the plain text!"

-- "Security Analyst" with an Associate's degree in Game Programming

Hey guys,

This was actually my bad in terminology.  I wanted to use something that the average person understood, but forgot to think of the implications of encrypted meaning that it's a two way process.

The passwords were SHA1 hashed.  And this was back in 2014, we have moved on to a different and more secure hashing strategy.

- Sean

4 hours ago, sazrocks said:

I hope they can be sued by affected customers for negligence.

a little bit of pepper never hurt either. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

6 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

How did they not figure this out for 5 years?

Well, that's pretty straightforward. Barring advanced packet inspection or audit log monitoring techniques, which you'll not find at nearly any (non-super-regulated) company under 100 employees, the only way to learn about a breach like this is if someone notices the breached data circulating.

Even then, the source is often not named, so the you need to figure that out as well. One way might be to derive it from the texture of the data, such as comparing the list of emails in a random unnamed dump to the ones in your own app's database. Another way would be correlating some other values that are possibly part of the dump, such as "account creation date", to values you know (your own account's creation date.)

42 minutes ago, underyx said:

Well, that's pretty straightforward. Barring advanced packet inspection or audit log monitoring techniques, which you'll not find at nearly any (non-super-regulated) company under 100 employees, the only way to learn about a breach like this is if someone notices the breached data circulating.

Even then, the source is often not named, so the you need to figure that out as well. One way might be to derive it from the texture of the data, such as comparing the list of emails in a random unnamed dump to the ones in your own app's database. Another way would be correlating some other values that are possibly part of the dump, such as "account creation date", to values you know (your own account's creation date.)

Lmao dude are you from trakt.tv doing some damage control? Every other company manages to figure these things out and yes sometimes it's a year or maybe two later but 5 years? gg no re

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

He is not.  I am.  We found out because spycloud.com (similar to haveibeenpwned.com) found our data on the dark web.  One of our users signed up for an account and let us know.  This just happened in January.

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Lmao dude are you from trakt.tv doing some damage control? Every other company manages to figure these things out and yes sometimes it's a year or maybe two later but 5 years? gg no re

No, I'm the guy who found out about the leak and told trakt as Sean mentions above. That's why I have some idea of how it all worked ?

Then I got curious what the reception was like online and saw that it might be useful to provide some context here.