2019 and 2020 Forward "Proofing" new build.

Daocommand

Hello LTT Community, 

I apologize if this is widely known in the community however, I am unable to unravel all of the current knowledge in high end PC build tech. I am in need of some future "proofing" opinions. I have been planning a custom build with liquid cooling for gaming and streaming since January of 2018. I heard around that time to wait for a while, so I took a hiatus from moving to PC from console, again... I last built a Gaming PC 8 years ago. This time I want to go big, be creative, and erect a system that will be a showcase. Anyway, here is my main concern: I have heard reports of Anthem Demo players having frame rate drops while playing 4k with maximum settings; all while using 9900K intel CPUs and the new and great 2080-TI. It comes to no surprise that playing with 4k graphics requires better graphics GPUs, currently and moving forward.

Should one wait until later this year for newer GPUs to come out?

Is an RTX Titan X good enough for 4k maximum settings for at least a couple years?

Would any of you suggest running dual 2080-TI's?

Is there any other sage advice any of you can offer an up-and-coming custom builder amateur? 

I will inform you of this as I've tried my best to stay in tune with PC components and stuff since 2012-2013. There won't be anything faster than a 2080 ti (except the Titan RTX which you mentioned) that will come out. RTX is new stuff and there won't be any follow up or refresh to make it any faster. That being said, SLI is optimal in 4k and I'm pretty hard pressed to believe a 9900k bottlenecked anything. If you built a PC with a single 2080 ti and a 9900k, the experience in 4k would be amazing. The Titan RTX would be a LITTLE bit more amazing I guess with a few more fps than a 2080 ti, but the price/performance of that is horrible. I can't say get SLI either because 2 years ago I was running SLI GTX 580's/570's/650tiB's and all of them had different amounts of scaling, none of which were consistently more than 70% on each card. Meaning at most, I had 140% the performance of a single card. It's a decent improvement when it works, but when it doesn't work it often lowers fps or introduces weird issues. About half my steam library was SLI enabled, and the other half not because it made it worse. I don't think its worth twice the power draw and heat output for mostly the same experience 98% of the time. So yeah 9900k/2080ti is best idea for tldr

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Welcome to the forums! Just a heads up, make sure you quote people when you quote people when you want to make sure they see your reply. The arrow is in our comment boxes. If you know, then just disregard this :P.

It's impossible to future proof since we don't know what will come out. A great example is the old Beige PCs from 20 years ago that were marked "Never Obsolete" and are now absolute garbage.

There's no need to get an RTX Titan since that card is for work station tasks. Stick with a 2080Ti. I don't anyone will suggest a dual 2080Ti setup for gaming. The problem, is that dual GPUs aren't very widely supported in games, so it's really useless to try and use it when you can't. Spending $2000 USD or more for those two cards aren't worth it.

As for advice since you're new, I suggest sticking here on this site, watching videos from people like Jayztwocents, Bitwit, Gamers Nexus, and Hardware Canucks.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

46 minutes ago, Daocommand said:

the RTX cards are 100% not futureproof, 9900k is "ok" for future gaming but 7nm 8/16 core will be the way to go. Gamer's Nexus talked about how we will need drastic new manufacturing process just to go below 6nm. The current monitors don't even have the right ports to support 4k/144hz gaming, and gpus are too weak. 

If there was ever a time that futureproofing can't be done, it's now. We'll see how zen 2 performs in a few months.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

26 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

I will inform you of this as I've tried my best to stay in tune with PC components and stuff since 2012-2013. There won't be anything faster than a 2080 ti (except the Titan RTX which you mentioned) that will come out. RTX is new stuff and there won't be any follow up or refresh to make it any faster. That being said, SLI is optimal in 4k and I'm pretty hard pressed to believe a 9900k bottlenecked anything. If you built a PC with a single 2080 ti and a 9900k, the experience in 4k would be amazing. The Titan RTX would be a LITTLE bit more amazing I guess with a few more fps than a 2080 ti, but the price/performance of that is horrible. I can't say get SLI either because 2 years ago I was running SLI GTX 580's/570's/650tiB's and all of them had different amounts of scaling, none of which were consistently more than 70% on each card. Meaning at most, I had 140% the performance of a single card. It's a decent improvement when it works, but when it doesn't work it often lowers fps or introduces weird issues. About half my steam library was SLI enabled, and the other half not because it made it worse. I don't think its worth twice the power draw and heat output for mostly the same experience 98% of the time. So yeah 9900k/2080ti is best idea for tldr

Thank you very much for your advice, this is too kind of you. I initially came to some of these conclusions however, with more and more time spent on YouTube and hardware forums, I started to get super confused. 

9 minutes ago, xg32 said:

the RTX cards are 100% not futureproof, 9900k is "ok" for future gaming but 7nm 8/16 core will be the way to go. Gamer's Nexus talked about how we will need drastic new manufacturing process just to go below 6nm. The current monitors don't even have the right ports to support 4k/144hz gaming, and gpus are too weak. 

If there was ever a time that futureproofing can't be done, it's now. We'll see how zen 2 performs in a few months.

This is what I was becoming afraid of. I appreciate you supporting my thought process. I will definitely find some of these videos of Gamer Nexus. Thank you. 

31 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Welcome to the forums! Just a heads up, make sure you quote people when you quote people when you want to make sure they see your reply. The arrow is in our comment boxes. If you know, then just disregard this :P.

It's impossible to future proof since we don't know what will come out. A great example is the old Beige PCs from 20 years ago that were marked "Never Obsolete" and are now absolute garbage.

There's no need to get an RTX Titan since that card is for work station tasks. Stick with a 2080Ti. I don't anyone will suggest a dual 2080Ti setup for gaming. The problem, is that dual GPUs aren't very widely supported in games, so it's really useless to try and use it when you can't. Spending $2000 USD or more for those two cards aren't worth it.

As for advice since you're new, I suggest sticking here on this site, watching videos from people like Jayztwocents, Bitwit, Gamers Nexus, and Hardware Canucks.

I did not know that you could quote comments like this. Thank you! I needed your expertise, I was hoping one 2080-TI would be enough. The Titan X seems too highly priced to sell, without enough performance increase.

"Never Obsolete," this is a great lesson for me.  

Honestly one 2080ti or maybe vega 7 should run 4k with in sync range.And id take a amd 2700x over the 9900k its 200 cheaper and maybe 8% slower.And the am4 boards are cheaper ;)But to me id rather game in 1440p and have a faster better monitor to use.Most of the 4k monitors are kinda crappy and the only 2 fast ones are well over a grand us to buy and not too big either.

Build the PC to “wow you now”.

Forget futureproofing, live for today!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

3 hours ago, Daocommand said:

Is an RTX Titan X good enough for 4k maximum settings for at least a couple years?

Would any of you suggest running dual 2080-TI's?

Is there any other sage advice any of you can offer an up-and-coming custom builder amateur? 

No it is not at all. I have two in SLI power modded and water cooled and they still can't do new games at 4k with max graphics settings at a high framerate. 

I say buy what you want and can afford, knowing the limitations of current hardware. 

Set your expectations based on what exists now and the performance you want, then build accordingly. 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

wait for Zen 2. would be sad to spend bank now and then end up having a "midrange" in 3-4 months time.

and CPUs from 2010 arent all that bad today even.

mostly due to regressions in performance growth in the CPU space.