Is Navi still worth waiting for?

Galion

I've purchased almost all the parts for my main system, except cpu and gpu. Since Lisa confirmed that they announce navi in june I now have doubts about buying the Radeon VII or should I wait till July and get a navi gpu along with the 3000 series. At the moment I'm using a put together unit with a RX580, for a workstation. 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

9 minutes ago, Galion said:

I've purchased almost all the parts for my main system, except cpu and gpu. Since Lisa confirmed that they announce navi in june I now have doubts about buying the Radeon VII or should I wait till July and get a navi gpu along with the 3000 series. At the moment I'm using a put together unit with a RX580, for a workstation. 

i dont think radeon vii will be that great, so i would say wait  abit for Navi , 

but i mean good deals on 10 series nvidia cards, like 1080 or 1080ti do exist if youre in a hurry 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

The Radeon 7 will be a limited run "limited edition" gpu, so prices will likely start quite inflated and only increase after that.

I'd get an RTX 2060 now because it is a known quantity and it performs decently for the price.

2.5 years ago, I dropped $420 for a gtx 1070 FE like 3 weeks after launch, before nvidia allowed board partner versions. I kinda regret it a little. I wish I had waited another couple weeks to get something that had better cooling and ran quieter.

Most would say get the best part for your rig that you can right now, and see where the chips fall in 4 months.

10th series will soon be outdated, just as we see the 9th series today.

1440p.png

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I think it's worth waiting for because it will push the price of all other GPUs down. And, right now, GPUs are way over-priced due to the crypto-mining bubble that we've just come out of. Prices have yet to normalize and it could take a couple of gens for them to become more reasonable. But, with Navi this close, I see spending money on RTX or the R7 to be low-efficiency spending.

An RX 580 is a decent card to wait with. Maybe play a bunch of back-catalogue and older games until you can get your new GPU.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

If you have a working system with a 580, I'd say wait. 

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

It depends want you want. If you want the best AMD can offer then get the Radeon 7. Navi will not be more powerful than Radeon 7. It will be better value but it is not a high end card, that has been confirmed.

If you don't care about money only performance then there is nothing to wait for except the 7 which may be a limited run so if you want it buy it asap.

If you do care about price then wait because all prices will be lower by the time it comes out. Except maybe Radeon 7 due to low stock.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

4 hours ago, Galion said:

Since Lisa confirmed that they announce navi in june I now have doubts about buying the Radeon VII or should I wait till July and get a navi gpu along with the 3000 series. At the moment I'm using a put together unit with a RX580, for a workstation. 

Allegedly the Navis are not faster but that's up in the air.

The thing is that the prices are the most interesting thing...

They might bring it down by 50%...

But with an RX580 you're in a pretty good position to wait...

4 hours ago, Tamesh16 said:

i dont think radeon vii will be that great,

Think you must not, know you should.

And the relase will be in 3 days. Waiting that long isn't that hard, is it?

So Friday we know more...

4 hours ago, Tamesh16 said:

but i mean good deals on 10 series nvidia cards, like 1080 or 1080ti do exist if youre in a hurry 

...always buy the one with the Proprietary shit, that abuses their power to force "their Partners" to not sell competing products from other manufacturers under the same label....

Why do people not take responsible and NOT buy those products?!
Because only with NOT BUYING them, you can show them that you don't like their proprietary and abusing positions...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

10th series will soon be outdated, just as we see the 9th series today.

Yeah, nVidia uses some extreme optimizations that they only do for the latest generation and not the generations before...

You can argue about Planned Obsolescence on nVidias Part, while its the opposite on AMD's side.

Just look at GTX 680 vs Radeon HD7970, the former one was even more expensive than the AMD Chip and now they fight with 7870 more and more while the 7970 is out of reach and often battles with the GTX780...

And the RTX2080 is also only 8GiB VRAM as well - same as this generation.

And I don't get why People are recommending nVidia stuff, without even knowing how the AMD Card actually is, even when its just days away!

Is it so hard to wait for 3-4 DAYS and say to look how it is?!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, Galion said:

I've purchased almost all the parts for my main system, except cpu and gpu

You've already bought your other parts ? It's no longer worth waiting for you then. Just go out and buy the a cheap Ryzen CPU that you can upgrade later on to the 3000 series.
Never buy parts months in advance, for all you know, by the time you buy the rest, those parts will have gone on much better sales or newer/better hardware will be released for about the same price you've paid. Not to mention you likely have no way of testing the parts without the CPU, meaning you're literally wasting warranty time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 hours ago, Tamesh16 said:

i dont think radeon vii will be that great, so i would say wait  abit for Navi , 

6 hours ago, Madgemade said:

It depends want you want. If you want the best AMD can offer then get the Radeon 7. Navi will not be more powerful than Radeon 7. It will be better value but it is not a high end card, that has been confirmed.

If you don't care about money only performance then there is nothing to wait for except the 7 which may be a limited run so if you want it buy it asap.

If you do care about price then wait because all prices will be lower by the time it comes out. Except maybe Radeon 7 due to low stock.

6 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

I think it's worth waiting for because it will push the price of all other GPUs down. And, right now, GPUs are way over-priced due to the crypto-mining bubble that we've just come out of. Prices have yet to normalize and it could take a couple of gens for them to become more reasonable. But, with Navi this close, I see spending money on RTX or the R7 to be low-efficiency spending.

An RX 580 is a decent card to wait with. Maybe play a bunch of back-catalogue and older games until you can get your new GPU.

7 hours ago, Galion said:

Sorry I'm quoting all of you cos I wanted to say more or less the same thing when replying to each one.

Since OP already bought the rest of the system now it's definitely not worth waiting 6 months to buy a GPU.

Radeon VII was announced because AMD is releasing mid-range Navi in the middle of this year and it is likely 9-12 months before we will see high end Navi.

Mid range Navi will not be faster than Radeon VII. If you want Radeon VII performance then I would suggest waiting for reviews in 3-4 days and then buying one based off of that.

If you're fine with the performance an RX 580 provides and you're willing to wait for either mid-range Navi or high end Navi then I'd stick with the card.

An RX 580 is a good card, in many places the crypto mining craze has crashed and GPU prices have never been lower for the RX 480/580. For example right now it is possible to buy a used RX 480 for the MSRP of a new RX 560 where I live.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),