Opinion on 14 Year Old With $3000 Setup?

The_Edster

No.....dont spoil him!!!!

Thats too much....he needs to get older to have such luxuries!!!!

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

I think it is overkill. He should have used at most $1500 for a decent PC and saved up the rest for future stuff. My first real build was when I was 13 and I had a $600. My parents combined my birthday and Christmas gifts to pay for it. I wanted to build my own PC but my parents dumped $1200 on TigerDirect. This is the build:

MOBO: MSI Z87-G41

Power: GS 800

GFX: Radeon HD 7950

CPU: Intel Core I7-4770k

Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-1(Power button LED didn't work :( )

CPU Coolin: Seidon 280XL

Storage: Some 2TB HDD

Apparently it is only 1700 for the PC… so close enough. 

I'm more interested in learning how a 14 year old earns $3000.

Nothing to see here - move along.

I'm 14 and I got my ASUS G75 last year... why not? If your parents are okay with it... then why not?

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

I find it very hard to believe you earned it yourself.  If you did chores for your parents that is your parents money (and in my opinion I think kids should not be paid for chores they should be doing anyway) but if you are doing a paper route (if those exist anymore) or mowing lawns that is understandable. 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Go to college, get a job, and then start thinking about spending the big bucks.

Edit: This is probably an ignorant comment on my part as some people actually have this kind of money, while my parents would go crazy on me for spending 600 bucks on a computer.

that's the same thing that my parents do too. even if I don't smoke, go clubbing or spend money daily(the only money that I spend are for food at school) they are not even thinking about buying me a new pc. I have to do everything :(. I already got the cpu(750k) from black friday and I still need some money for the psu, mobo and ram :/

p.s.: when they saw the processor they thought that I was crazy for spending money on that small component

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

that's the same thing that my parents do too. even if I don't smoke, go clubbing or spend money daily(the only money that I spend are for food at school) they are not even thinking about buying me a new pc.

It's sad how rich kids waste educations like that. And those are the kids who make everyone in school look bad.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

It's sad how rich kids waste educations like that. And those are the kids who make everyone in school look bad.

yep...

they should stick with their macbook s

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Like a 14 year old boy can earn 3000 all by himself.. If earning by himself means getting it for his birthday and stuff (parents) then i believe it, Paperboys dont earn much, i did it and it wasnt wortth it, 3000, no way by himself. < Says a 14 year old boy.  

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Im 15 and I am on the same boat as the OP. I got a job and spend my money on my setup. Except I ve already spent more than 3k on the tower(excluding the wc ive planned) and Never mind the setup . Also given this is in AUD and stuff tends to be more expensive. Why you ask? Well im a pc hardware enthusiast and a gamer and its what I like to do.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Like a 14 year old boy can earn 3000 all by himself.. If earning by himself means getting it for his birthday and stuff (parents) then i believe it, Paperboys dont earn much, i did it and it wasnt wortth it, 3000, no way by himself. < Says a 14 year old boy.  

You either dont know how to save mpney or you dodnt work enough. Ive only been working ~6months and if I hadnt spent a penny on anything id have a couple of grand in the bank

But I spent it and now here I am all over again

Broke as fuck and trying to save up again lol

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

And they had earned all the money to pay for it themself?

i don`t know about that.

Personally I don't have a problem in the world about that. Personally I wouldn't have seen it as a problem is you had gotten that PC for just as a random present. If the parents can afford it and they want to give the kids something then let them do it without calling the kid spoilt or something in the vicinity of that.

Just my thoughts, but I might be a bit biased considering how I myself got my PC... Anyhow: If you have saved it up yourself then you are more then worthy of having it :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

If the present me could talk to the 14yo me, I would tell myself to keep the money and keep piling. Once you're out of college and start paying for everything, it's getting harder to save money. Having a 10-15k in the bank account would be kinda amazing... 

And you can game without spending 3k, come on... 

My suggestion, put half of everything you earn in the bank.  Preferably 75% of what you earn in the bank.

My dad told me to do that from the day I started working on a farm at 11.  I had more jobs before the age of 16 than most of my friends had at 21.  I paid for my college by myself, bought my first car myself, etc.

Spend 3k on a heavily depreciating asset or spend that 3k(which will be more after interest) on schooling that will end up making you a lot more money in the long run.  Think about it.

You can brag to your internet buddies(who don't care) for 2 years until that PC is worth a fraction, or brag the rest of your life making bank in a professional job.

Either way, if you worked for it, spend it how you see fit.  But think about the long term a little.  

Like I'm going to believe that cock and bull story about a 12 year old earning 3k $ by washing dishes. Call me a hater if you like.

You should have saved up half that money, put it in a savings account. You'd still be left with enough to have a decent setup, maybe not triple monitor, but still good.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Just wondering what your opinion would be on a 14 year old who has a setup costing over 3k? And they had earned all the money to pay for it themself?

Earned it or got it for birthday etccc..? If they earned it from a job that wasn't from their parents (house chores etc..) then who cares.

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

Just wondering what your opinion would be on a 14 year old who has a setup costing over 3k? And they had earned all the money to pay for it themself?

its fine, i am 15 by then i build pc and in USD it is 4500 USD:))

I wont probably use it for 100% its all power but dont care...

so its fine, just build your dream!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

um, it's not really wise.

technically the parent still has full authority, including over the money. If the parent is fine with it I guess, but <if> it were my kid 3k on a PC is a little bit excessive especially at that age. 1.5k is more than plenty for a PC of actual utilitarian purpose. 

This from me and I'm usually pretty progressive about things, so that should bare considerable weight. 

I am 14 and do pro video editing. A 4770k/gtx780 is about right for my uses so I would say $2000 but your point is true.

I'm a bit impressed if he really earned it all himself and probably got what he wanted.

I earn my own money and i am 14, in 10 days 15 and i earn my own money:)

Okay i get some money for Bday and Xmas but thats not something i beg to get thats something they just give me.

so i did not really care if i get money from parents or not...

But i get= better:D

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

How could a 14year old earn money in the first place?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Hm... I don't see a big problem here.

Why are people complaining or being condescending? 

Not that hard to earn money when you are a kid. For me I when I was 12 I happened to clean my neighbors lawns and get money I would also walk a few dogs to get money. When I turned 14 I worked at a bakery/general store. 16 I started to deliver post.

When I was 14 I had made enough money to buy my own PC, did not know much about PCs then and my dad had a contract with Dell, so I decided to buy a Dell PC.

Building 3k setup at 14 with your own money is a job well done. So what a bit of it is from his b-day cash? Doesn't hurt anyone else?

Or is it spoiled to get a bit of money on your birthday these days?

I would understand if he got everything he asked for, but this seems different. 

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Okay i get some money for Bday and Xmas but thats not something i beg to get thats something they just give me.

so i did not really care if i get money from parents or not...

That isn't 'earned' money though ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

My opinon is that it was a waste of money. I woulnt ever spend over 2k on a PC because later on their will always be the "newest, most best" part that comes out that you wish you would have boughten instead.

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro