Windows 10 installed stuff without my permission

Humbug

I noticed that Skype was running, so I checked the 'Apps & Features' section and noticed that both Skype and OneNote had been installed yesterday. Never installed either.

What's worse Windows had taken the liberty of signing me in automatically using my Microsoft login. Which is ridiculous and a massive security blunder as other people use my home PC too. So I was basically online on Skype without my knowledge while other people used the PC.?

Is this normal or something gone wrong?

Welcome to Windows 10 .. it knows know whats best for you.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

11 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Is this normal

In Windows 10, yes indeed.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I'll go in biullet points as I am on the go. Forgive the tonality.

53 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I noticed that Skype was running, so I checked the 'Apps & Features' section and noticed that both Skype and OneNote had been installed yesterday. Never installed either.

They come with Windows 10, they are pre-installed.

What's worse Windows had taken the liberty of signing me in automatically using my Microsoft login.

You were probably asked, didn't read and set it up, converting your local account to a Microsoft account, you are not the first.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

They come with Windows 10, they are pre-installed.

I checked the Installation date in 'apps and features' and it was yesterday, the last installed program.

So either it was installed yesterday for the first time or if it had come with Windows I had removed and it got reinstalled.

41 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I checked the Installation date in 'apps and features' and it was yesterday, the last installed program.

The date in Apps and Feature panel is the date that it was last updated.

So either it was installed yesterday for the first time or if it had come with Windows I had removed and it got reinstalled.

If you remove it at the same time it was downloading the update for the app, the app will be re-installed. I recommend to make sure that everything is fully updated, and now uninstall (or don't connect online at first startup, and uninstall it, then go online. The moment you go online, it will check for updates).

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The date in Apps and Feature panel is the date that it was last updated.

If you remove it at the same time it was downloading the update for the app, the app will be re-installed. I recommend to make sure that everything is fully updated, and now uninstall (or don't connect online at first startup, and uninstall it, then go online. The moment you go online, it will check for updates).

Thanks, but this cannot be the issue as it hasn't been on my PC for a long time, and countless updates have been run in that time.

12 hours ago, Humbug said:

Thanks, but this cannot be the issue as it hasn't been on my PC for a long time, and countless updates have been run in that time.

Hmmm... I don't know to be honest.

On my side, both my desktop and laptop have apps removed, and I update pretty much each week as a new Insider Fast Ring Build is released and apps don't re-appear.

I know it was an issue back ages ago in Windows 10, but that is fixed a long time ago (Creator update?.. I don't remember, anyway).

I would check for app updates via the Store app, then is nothing is found, uninstall it, and keep watch on it. If it happens again, write a detail post in the Feedback Hub. Or post now, if you are convinced that it was indeed removed and you got it back.