Best tool for checking quality of HDD?​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​

ch3w2oy

So I just put my travelstar (crap) 1TB HDD from my old laptop into my new PC build. When it was in the laptop it was making a noise, not just a clicking noise, almost sounds like the sound of dial up internet I think (can't remember what dial up sounds like). But I don't think it sounds like the click of death that I see on youtube videos, but I could be wrong.

Is there a software that I can use to test to ensure my drive is safe or is it just a rule of thumb to get rid of it if it's making a clicking noise?

I feel like it makes the noise while running idle. When I'm copying files/data it's damn near quiet the ENTIRE time!!!

HELP! I'm using this as my back up and I just transferred 150GB to it and would like to clear my SSD up a little bit but kind of want to test it first.

Thanks ?

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Although CrystalDisk is the most common recommendation, an alternative that works just as well is Hard Disk Sentinel.

25 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

-snip-

I'd back up that drive if I were you.

I don't really trust that drive not to die randomly.

You may be able to RMA it (depends on how old it is) and get a new one from the manufacturer/retailer.

32 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

When it was in the laptop it was making a noise, not just a clicking noise, almost sounds like the sound of dial up internet I think

Yep, pretty sure it's dying.