Lightning to release a new Motorbike: the Strike

According to various websites, Lightning, the company behind the superbike Linus was drooling over in 2018, the LS 218, are set to release a new motorbike : the Lightning Strike (someone in Marketing knows their job).

It is said to have pretty interesting specs :

The Lightning Strike will be capable of hitting a top speed of 150 mph (241 km/h). The Strike should also feature a range of 150 miles (241 km).

Apparently, we already also have details on price :

Lightning tells us that the Strike will retail for $12,998 -- that makes this electric bike a full $16,801 cheaper than Harley-Davidson's Livewire.

Would Yvonne approve that to satisfy Linus's midlife crisis ? Maybe for the car/bike testing series ?

I feel like with that kind of a price tag, and range, this would very much be an option worth looking into for people who drive to work every morning, and a pretty compelling one given it has the advantages of an EV and of a motorbike, in addition to a decent price tag.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/17/lightning-electric-motorcycle-strike/amp/

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/lightning-electric-motorcycle-strike/

Edited by BrokenClock
Complying with forum guidelines

That's actually surprisingly affordable and could be a great buy.

I love my bike, but cost savings have never been the aim of the game for me since they're economical and are easy to service/repair so BEV bikes for me just have to be a better experience. Yet to swing my leg over one, but I do love BEV cars.

A 150 mile range is a little on the low side, but for a commuter it'll be more than enough and it's probably fine for a weekend rider given you might ride 1-2 hours, stop for a rest, and then continue and the 35min charge time is perfect for that.

I think I'd miss the noise though.

i wonder how quick id die if i jumped on that... so much want...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Too bad I don't have a license for that.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, BrokenClock said:

Would Yvonne approve that to satisfy Linus's midlife crisis ?

I believe Linus will just buy it b4 asking Yvonne... Just look at Lucky the dragon statue. 

3 hours ago, williamcll said:

Too bad I don't have a license for that.

Just come to NZ and rent a car we pretty much allow anyone on the roads here. 

I think once we see them get below 8k it will be a become a lot more popular, I would love to get one under that.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

I think once we see them get below 8k it will be a become a lot more popular, I would love to get one under that.

I would have to agree on that, at least for over here in the UK. The 6.5-10.5k segment is the sweet spot for "affordable" imo. Under 6 being "bang for buck" and over 11 being "gimme that sweet torque, tech and HP".

From what i remember seeing, the current Electric bikes on offer are in the region of 18k or something daft. Far too pricey atm for what's on offer.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

2 hours ago, Noctus said:

I would have to agree on that, at least for over here in the UK. The 6.5-10.5k segment is the sweet spot for "affordable" imo. Under 6 being "bang for buck" and over 11 being "gimme that sweet torque, tech and HP".

From what i remember seeing, the current Electric bikes on offer are in the region of 18k or something daft. Far too pricey atm for what's on offer.

According to the sources I linked, the Zero starts at 16K USD, while the Harley Davidson Livewire starts at 30K USD :

That’s impressive from just about any angle. For comparison to other US-made electric motorcycles, the Harley-Davidson LiveWire costs nearly $30,000, yet has approximately 30% lower top speed and range than the Strike.

Zero Motorcycles, the largest US electric motorcycle manufacturer, offers an SR model with a Charge Tank and similar range to the Strike for nearly $20,000, yet also has a third lower top speed. And while other US electric motorcycle manufacturers are getting into the mix, none have so far offered anything to challenge the price and specs of the Strike.

-elektrek.co

Only issue with electric bikes is where to hide weatherproofed speakers and an amp big enough to make it sound like a real bike, even with a decat and straight pipes on mine (sets off car alarms as I ride down the road) you still get phone zombies stepping off the kerb in front of you, on a silent electric bike? no thanks!

28 minutes ago, Ethariel01 said:

Only issue with electric bikes is where to hide weatherproofed speakers and an amp big enough to make it sound like a real bike, even with a decat and straight pipes on mine (sets off car alarms as I ride down the road) you still get phone zombies stepping off the kerb in front of you, on a silent electric bike? no thanks!

Harley used standard gears vs spiral gears to give the prototype bike a mechanical gear whine (think reverse gear in a car). I think that should be a good substitute to engine noise. I don't want fake engine sounds in ANY electric vehicle.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

@BrokenClock your topic does not meet the guidelines for this section. Please update appropriately;

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

~ Source: 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

@BrokenClock your topic does not meet the guidelines for this section. Please update appropriately;

Sorted, sorry about that.

19 hours ago, BrokenClock said:

According to the sources I linked, the Zero starts at 16K USD, while the Harley Davidson Livewire starts at 30K USD :

-elektrek.co

Yeah that's silly money for an electrical bike. Early adopters fee I guess. Give it another 2 iterations and you'll see them sitting near the 10k mark most likely. 

13 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Harley used standard gears vs spiral gears to give the prototype bike a mechanical gear whine (think reverse gear in a car). I think that should be a good substitute to engine noise. I don't want fake engine sounds in ANY electric vehicle.

Nah that high pitched whine is fine for a blade runner movie, not as a sub for the exhaust not. Tho I guess until they manage to engineer something (or rather some aftermarket maker does then sells it for half the price of the bike cos "reasons") we'll just have to make do. 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530