144Hz vs 75Hz

Sea Flap Flap

Hi! Simple question, if you have to pick one scenario, which one do you prefer?

i5 3570, 8/16GB DDR3, RX 580, LG 24MK600M (75Hz)

3770, 4GB, 570, 24MK600M (75Hz)

3570, 4GB, 570, 24GM79G (144Hz)

You play LoL, CS:GO, PUBG, Fortnite, etc. Which one would you pick?

75 Hz is basically 60 Hz, but good luck hitting 144Hz in PUBG and Fortnite on that i5. Or at least, Fortnite may be able to pull off high refresh rate with some tweaking but PUBG has a storied history of being hard on a CPU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Okay. it clearly looks like you have a serious budget concern.

So normally I would take the higher refresh rate over resolution pretty much any day.

BUT what worries me is the RAM. with 4 Gigs of ram nowadays, you won't be playing very much of any video game. So since you seem to be just starting out, I would say the first scenario is your best bet. And 8 gigs will work but I would get the 16 gigs if you can.

That way you have a fairly decent rig that is upgradable in the future when you have more funds.

That i5 will get you through most tasks okay. That's the CPU I was running for a while. Then I got sick of it when it started bottlenecking me in today's AAA titles. Pissed me off so I upgraded. If you're anything like me, I think you're gonna hate that i5 in about 2 years or less.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

75 Hz is basically 60 Hz, but good luck hitting 144Hz in PUBG and Fortnite on that i5. Or at least, Fortnite may be able to pull off high refresh rate with some tweaking but PUBG has a storied history of being hard on a CPU.

PUBG is tough to hit 144fps on a 1080 ti

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

PUBG is tough to hit 144fps on a 1080 ti

That was just an illustration, I don't actually play PUBG ghat much, I play mainly League.

13 minutes ago, Sea Flap Flap said:

You need the RAM.

3 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Okay. it clearly looks like you have a serious budget concern.

So normally I would take the higher refresh rate over resolution pretty much any day.

BUT what worries me is the RAM. with 4 Gigs of ram nowadays, you won't be playing very much of any video game. So since you seem to be just starting out, I would say the first scenario is your best bet. And 8 gigs will work but I would get the 16 gigs if you can.

That way you have a fairly decent rig that is upgradable in the future when you have more funds.

That i5 will get you through most tasks okay. That's the CPU I was running for a while. Then I got sick of it when it started bottlenecking me in today's AAA titles. Pissed me off so I upgraded. If you're anything like me, I think you're gonna hate that i5 in about 2 years or less.

The 4GB here is just a starter, I'll buy another 4GB or even 12GB sticks next month, because I spent my entire salary for the holidays affairs last year, my next payday is on February 26th ?

1 minute ago, Sea Flap Flap said:

The 4GB here is just a starter, I'll buy another 4GB or even 12GB sticks next month, because I spent my entire salary for the holidays affairs last year, my next payday is on February 26th ?

Fair enough I suppose. Most AAA titles now use 3 gig or more. So you may need to hold off on gaming for a bit lol.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

Just now, dj_ripcord said:

Fair enough I suppose. Most AAA titles now use 3 gig or more. So you may need to hold off on gaming for a bit lol.

Yeah ? I only have $500 left right now, I think investing in monitor is better than investing in ram, especially because DDR3 are quite cheap nowadays. Btw I don't play AAA games like AC Odyssey, AC Origins, etc. that much, I play mostly E-Sport games, PUBG will most likely be the most demanding game on my list.

26 minutes ago, Sea Flap Flap said:

3770, 8GB, 570, 24MK600M (75Hz) would be ideal...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

24 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

75 Hz is basically 60 Hz,

I completely disagree on that, its diminishing returns after all:

30 - 60 - huge

60 - 90 - large

90 - 120 - medium

120 - 165 - smaller difference (still noticeable tho)

even 15hz above 60 is worth it if thats all you can get.

Just now, TrigrH said:

30 - 60 - huge

60 - 90 - large

90 - 120 - medium

I went from 60 to 75, basically no difference, even side by side.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

20 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

30 - 60 - huge

60 - 90 - large

90 - 120 - medium

19 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I went from 60 to 75, basically no difference, even side by side.

It depends on a few things.

1. Your frame rate and refresh rate need to match. 60fps on a 75hz monitor will look worse than 60fps on a 60hz monitor, for example. It leads to uneven frame times (how long each static frame is shown on the screen)
  2. How much movement is between each frame makes a big difference. In a slow moving game (a third person RPG for example) you won't notice it much. In something fast paced like a racing game, where each frame is very different, minimal frame times is important.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Your frame rate and refresh rate need to match. 60fps on a 75hz monitor will look worse than 60fps on a 60hz monitor, for example. It leads to uneven frame times (how long each static frame is shown on the screen)

First person shooters on my rig? I feel like I'd be able to see it if it was really pronounced.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

First person shooters on my rig? I feel like I'd be able to see it if it was really pronounced.

It also varies by person, but that really depends on your play style. Personally I care much more about a steady frame rate than a high one.

See if you can tell the difference with this: https://www.testufo.com/

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

get a ryzen 4 core 8 thread, get a GTX 1050ti, get 8 GB of ram, a small SSD and a 1TB HDD for now. and a 1ms 1080p monitor

3 minutes ago, WiggyPop said:

get a ryzen 4 core 8 thread, get a GTX 1050ti, get 8 GB of ram, a small SSD and a 1TB HDD for now. and a 1ms 1080p monitor

That's a meaningless metric because there is no standard test. Take a look at this

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faq-mythbuster/

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

See if you can tell the difference with this: https://www.testufo.com/

The test only seems to support multiples of 60 (or 144) so 75 doesn't show for me. The closest I have is changing overwatch settings which usually shows pretty stark differences to me.

Primary PC:

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's a meaningless metric because there is no standard test. Take a look at this

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faq-mythbuster/

I have a 5 MS IPS and a classic 144hz monitor. evne if i switch it to 75 hz i can tell the difference, feels so groggy. 
but i don't think a high refresh rate is in his budget. it's best he just get a 60HZ and a good 1080p card with a higher thread CPU, also atleast 8 GB of ram minimum

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The test only seems to support multiples of 60 (or 144) so 75 doesn't show for me. The closest I have is changing overwatch settings which usually shows pretty stark differences to me.

Well it's fine if you don't notice it. Honestly better because lower frame rates won't bother you.

Just now, WiggyPop said:

I have a 5 MS IPS and a classic 144hz monitor. evne if i switch it to 75 hz i can tell the difference, feels so groggy. 
but i don't think a high refresh rate is in his budget. it's best he just get a 60HZ and a good 1080p card with a higher thread CPU

A 570 is a better buy than a 1050 Ti. It performs better at a lower price. I agree that 60hz is probably the best bet on his budget though.

30fps is still playable anyway. You just have to adjust to it. I find that after about an hour or less I adjust.

6 minutes ago, WiggyPop said:

but i don't think a high refresh rate is in his budget. it's best he just get a 60HZ and a good 1080p card with a higher thread CPU, also atleast 8 GB of ram minimum

As I stated before, 4GB is just a starter (only to make my system works for now) I'll get another 12GB in the near future. And I can barely tell the differences between 1ms and 5ms, but I can totally tell the difference between 60hz and 144hz, so I'll get the 144hz monitor.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Well it's fine if you don't notice it. Honestly better because lower frame rates won't bother you.

A 570 is a better buy than a 1050 Ti. It performs better at a lower price. I agree that 60hz is probably the best bet on his budget though.

30fps is still playable anyway. You just have to adjust to it. I find that after about an hour or less I adjust.

but it seems he's sacrificing just for that. 4 cores is too limited now days. and 4 GB is limiting his whole system. may as well save money and get an all round good system. 

1 minute ago, WiggyPop said:

but it seems he's sacrificing just for that. 4 cores is too limited now days. and 4 GB is limiting his whole system. may as well save money and get an all round good system. 

And I forgot to mention that DDR4 are overpriced, here in Poland.

aaah that sucks. getting a 3rd gen intel really limites your upgrade path, atleast am4 allows you a CPU upgrade till like 2020