144Hz vs 75Hz

Sea Flap Flap
1 minute ago, Sea Flap Flap said:

As I stated before, 4GB is just a starter (only to make my system works for now) I'll get another 12GB in the near future. And I can barely tell the differences between 1ms and 5ms, but I can totally tell the difference between 60hz and 144hz, so I'll get the 144hz monitor.

It's not a matter of "can you tell the difference". It's the fact that you won't be able to reach that higher frame rate, so it will look worse. You need to understand how frame times work, and why not reaching/exceeding your refresh rate means stuttering.

A 60hz refresh rate means that each frame will be displayed on screen for 1/60th of a second, or approximately 16.67ms. Your refresh rate, unlike your frame rate, doesn't change (unless you have FreeSync or G-Sync). If your graphics card is pumping out 60fps (or more, in which case you'd need to enable Fast Sync or V-Sync to prevent tearing), everything matches up so every 16.67ms there is a new frame. This tricks our brains into seeing it as a smooth motion.

However, if you drop to 59fps, things don't divide evenly. Each frame isn't on for 1/59th of a second. Your monitor still refreshes 60 times a second at steady intervals. This means that 58 frames will be displayed for 1/60th of a second, and one frame will be displayed for 2/60ths of a second, or 33.33ms. That looks terrible. It's more important to get something realistic.

Just now, WiggyPop said:

but it seems he's sacrificing just for that. 4 cores is too limited now days. and 4 GB is limiting his whole system. may as well save money and get an all round good system. 

I didn't say anything about the CPU. There's just no reason to get a 1050 Ti now that the mining craze is over.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It's not a matter of "can you tell the difference". It's the fact that you won't be able to reach that higher frame rate, so it will look worse. You need to understand how frame times work, and why not reaching/exceeding your refresh rate means stuttering.

A 60hz refresh rate means that each frame will be displayed on screen for 1/60th of a second, or approximately 16.67ms. Your refresh rate, unlike your frame rate, doesn't change (unless you have FreeSync or G-Sync). If your graphics card is pumping out 60fps (or more, in which case you'd need to enable Fast Sync or V-Sync to prevent tearing), everything matches up so every 16.67ms there is a new frame. This tricks our brains into seeing it as a smooth motion.

However, if you drop to 59fps, things don't divide evenly. Each frame isn't on for 1/59th of a second. Your monitor still refreshes 60 times a second at steady intervals. This means that 58 frames will be displayed for 1/60th of a second, and one frame will be displayed for 2/60ths of a second, or 33.33ms. That looks terrible. It's more important to get something realistic.

I didn't say anything about the CPU. There's just no reason to get a 1050 Ti now that the mining craze is over.

Mining is making a comeback. but it's better to aim for 60FPS at 1080p, so get a cheaper card and aim for a system with some future proofing, that's the only reason i suggested a lesser card.

31 minutes ago, WiggyPop said:

Mining is making a comeback. but it's better to aim for 60FPS at 1080p, so get a cheaper card and aim for a system with some future proofing, that's the only reason i suggested a lesser card.

The 1050 Ti is MORE expensive and LESS powerful.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The 1050 Ti is MORE expensive and LESS powerful.

aaaah damn. not in canada. and there are plenty of used 1050ti's floating around.

56 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I play (mainly) League of Legends and CS:GO, 3570 & RX 570 won't have any problem producing 144+fps in those games. And even if I play Fortnite at high settings 1080p, I'll get 100~fps. Wouldn't 100fps on a 144hz (with Freesync ofc) be better than 60fps on 60hz display? 

Just now, Sea Flap Flap said:

Wouldn't 100fps on a 144hz (with Freesync ofc) be better than 60fps on 60hz display? 

That depends on the display. There's no regulation for FreeSync, which means anyone can slap a label on the monitor without having to pass any kind of inspection. Nvidia cherry picked the worst examples at CES. Make sure you read reviews to make sure that the FreeSync actually works properly.

17 hours ago, TrigrH said:

I guess it varies from person to person cos I could feel the increased smoothness from 60 to 65hz.

Well I went in and double checked, turns out Nvidia control panel had my refresh rate set to 60Hz, so I "overclocked" it to 75 and then, there it was, the tiniest difference in character animations when I compared side by side.

Hopefully the difference pops up more subconsciously, because as buttery as 144Hz is, the increased visual information in high octane moments is where the competitive advantages come in to play. I am noticeably more successful in online games the higher the refresh rates.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad