What resolution should you shoot at if you have a display of 1080p only

Naman Malik

Most phones these days can shoot 4k however the display they have are still 1080p or 1440p so I have these questions

1) will I be able to watch 4k videos shot on my phone in 4k only at an external 4k monitor?

2) do phones show the downscaled version of the 4k video shot?

3) will it make any difference between a 4k video and 1080p video shot on your phone if you watch it on your phone's 1080p display?

4) will the 4k video shot on my phone look better on a 4k external monitor than on my phone?

1 minute ago, Naman Malik said:

1) will I be able to watch 4k videos shot on my phone in 4k only at an external 4k monitor?

2) do phones show the downscaled version of the 4k video shot?

3) will it make any difference between a 4k video and 1080p video shot on your phone if you watch it on your phone's 1080p display?

4) will the 4k video shot on my phone look better on a 4k external monitor than on my phone?

1) no, you'll need something external for that

2) yes

3) sometimes

4) probebly

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

2) yes

3) sometimes

4) probebly

phones have tiny screens tho. Like it wouldnt make that much of a difference if the 4k monitor is somewhat large. I get that there are more factors at play like color n stuff. Just reflecting

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

2) yes

3) sometimes

4) probebly

Just now, cashan said:

phones have tiny screens tho. Like it wouldnt make that much of a difference if the 4k monitor is somewhat large. I get that there are more factors at play like color n stuff. Just reflecting

Yea, phones have much higher PPI. So it really depends what you are looking for in the photos/videos. Agree still tho.

3 minutes ago, cashan said:

true. but it's hard to say in general because people differ from taste. my old 720p phone would look worse than some 1080p displays I have, but worse than my 1080p tv

Just now, Tarun10 said:

If you plan to shoot videos learn to edit well, color, lighting and focus matter just as much as resolution.

and you shouldn't edit on a phone

just so I've said it

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

and you shouldn't edit on a phone

just so I've said it

I though that went without saying. Like the fact that Linus will drop something at every booth in CES.

Shooting in higher resolution is useful if you ever want to crop/zoom, other than that it's almost pointless, it'll look slightly better on your display even if your phone screen isn't 4K but probably not worth the extra size it'll use if you plan on only ever playing back those videos on your phone.