Peripheral cost more than PC?

zlolslavez

Hello!

I recently built my PC in December with parts totaling around $500, as I did not have a large amount of money at the time (and I'm pretty happy with the performance despite the price, RX 580/2200G). I more recently picked up some peripherals to replace my older ones as I had money, including the Logitech G Pro Wireless (this mouse is $150, but I love this thing and it is perfect for my hand size (G305 too small, G703 too big, G903 bad fit for my grip)), and the Massdrop CTRL (around $200 with parts). With some other peripherals I have including my monitor and microphone my peripherals surely total more than my computer. Does anyone else have a situation like this, and is it unusual? I have no regrets as I love my mouse and keyboard, and my PC is good enough for what I do (League/Fortnite, occasionally other games like DOS2), but I am curious about others.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

For the experience you were going for, it makes perfect sense. Good game feel with some fairly decent graphics and 1080p gaming, I could actually proably stand to spend more money on peripherals myself (I have a $12 mouse and 4 year old keyboard, plus some $10 speakers, but look at my specs D:)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

December was 16 days ago lol. Doesn't really matter though, as long as you're happy with it. It's kind of the reverse of owning an RTX 2080 Ti and a 1080p monitor (extreme example but I think you get the point).

For comparisons sake, my computer's worth probably like a couple grand in parts and I have like maybe $1500 in peripherals, if we're including audio (don't go down the rabbit hole like I did).

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Yes my peripherals all up probably cost about as much as my tower. but I also have had most of my peripherals through a couple of upgrades. I've upgraded my keyboard/mouse maybe once in 12ish years, Monitors have been replaced once in maybe 8 years? Tower, maybe 2-3 times in the same time period. 

It's ok to spend money on good peripherals that last, since well you'll most likely be using them for a long time. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

8 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

December was 16 days ago lol. Doesn't really matter though, as long as you're happy with it. It's kind of the reverse of owning an RTX 2080 Ti and a 1080p monitor (extreme example but I think you get the point).

For comparisons sake, my computer's worth probably like a couple grand in parts and I have like maybe $1500 in peripherals, if we're including audio (don't go down the rabbit hole like I did).

Eh I built it like early December with money I had around and from selling my laptop, where I had some money from Christmas and also school scholarship.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

I mean there's no shame in it if that gets you through want you want and need it for.

My keyboard and mouse combined are $115. My TV was something like $149 when it came out, although I got it off of my brother for free because he got a larger TV for his room. My headphones were $80, the best ever spent, the capture card I've got cost me $76 and the DVD/VHS recorder I have cost like $200 back in 2012.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

my wive's purse cost more than the cost of my whole drawer.

its a choice you make, if you're happy with the expensive ones, then it is worth it.

custom mechanical keyboards are expensive because it is personal and unique, and its a hobby thing.

hobby is expensive.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

19 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Yes my peripherals all up probably cost about as much as my tower. but I also have had most of my peripherals through a couple of upgrades. I've upgraded my keyboard/mouse maybe once in 12ish years, Monitors have been replaced once in maybe 8 years? Tower, maybe 2-3 times in the same time period. 

It's ok to spend money on good peripherals that last, since well you'll most likely be using them for a long time. 

Agree, PC parts come and goes, but peripherals can stay for longer if its durable and fits you perfectly.

So i think buying (investing) an expensive one is not a problem.

I have a very old logitech mouse that is been beat up to pulp for the last 10 years until the button is no longer responsive.

Its still working though, as my htpc mouse.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Agree, PC parts come and goes, but peripherals can stay for longer if its durable and fits you perfectly.

So i think buying (investing) an expensive one is not a problem.

I have a very old logitech mouse that is been beat up to pulp for the last 10 years until the button is no longer responsive.

Its still working though, as my htpc mouse.

But just not expensive for expensive sake, my favorite mouse is a cheap wired cougar mouse with omron switches that's taken apart and cleaned multiple times now (because some idiot spilt beer on it) 

Model M keyboard from my pentium ii was replaced with a microsoft wireless combo multimedia set which lasted till the rubber domes felt inconsistent, which I replaced with a corsair rgb strafe (cue's macro software is amazing). I've had 3 keyboards in the last 25 years, don't get me started on the amount of system changes I've had in the same time ?

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

That logitech mouse only costing me $20.

Its not about price, its about the way it fits you.

Logitech G mouse are expensive because it fits and feels good in most hands.