144Hz vs G-Sync/Free Sync

David_Kwan

So is there any benefits in having a G-sync or Free-sync monitor compared to a 144hz monitor without either G-sync or Free-sync?

This is just for casual 1080p gaming, though I would not like to see any stuttering or lag.

Titles that I would like to play in the future is (Haven't got/built a PC yet.) :

Anthem.

Fortnite.

Skyrim.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War.

Or any immersive game that may come out in the near future. Mostly RPG/ARPG games.

PC Specs:

CPU: R5 2600(OCd to 4ghz)  |  CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition  |  Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  3200mhz(White)  |  PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750w 80+gold  |  GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC 6GB  |  NVME: 970 Evo+ 250gb(OS)  |  SSD: 860 Evo 500gb(Games) , MX500 1TB(Games)  |  HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm(Mass storage device)  |  Case: NZXT H500(White)  |  Case fans: 2x140 Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM(Grey) , 1x120 Thermaltake Riing 12 series red led

Peripherals:

Headset: HyperX Cloud Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  |  Keyboard: Coolermaster MK750 CherryMX Red  |  Monitor: AOC G2590FX 25" Frameless Gaming Monitor

Gsync and freesync stop screen tearing but can't stop stuttering. If you are stuttering gsync and freesync can make it so it won't tear at the same time but you will still notice the stutter. Gsync and freesync are really only useful at lower fps. As soon as you get above 90 it's really hard to notice tearing. 

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Gsync and freesync stop screen tearing but can't stop stuttering. If you are stuttering gsync and freesync can make it so it won't tear at the same time but you will still notice the stutter. Gsync and freesync are really only useful at lower fps. As soon as you get above 90 it's really hard to notice tearing. 

Mhm... All I want is smooth gameplay. So if I were getting average of 60 fps at max settings, and I change some settings to get me 90+ fps that means I can effectively play without noticing any tearing?

I've been playing games on my i5-4210u Lenovo laptop for a good 3-4 years now, so I think I'll be ok even if there's minor stutter or screen tearing. 

I mean it's a whole new world when you move from 20-30 fps to 60 right?

PC Specs:

CPU: R5 2600(OCd to 4ghz)  |  CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition  |  Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  3200mhz(White)  |  PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750w 80+gold  |  GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC 6GB  |  NVME: 970 Evo+ 250gb(OS)  |  SSD: 860 Evo 500gb(Games) , MX500 1TB(Games)  |  HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm(Mass storage device)  |  Case: NZXT H500(White)  |  Case fans: 2x140 Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM(Grey) , 1x120 Thermaltake Riing 12 series red led

Peripherals:

Headset: HyperX Cloud Core  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  |  Keyboard: Coolermaster MK750 CherryMX Red  |  Monitor: AOC G2590FX 25" Frameless Gaming Monitor

16 hours ago, David_Kwan said:

Mhm... All I want is smooth gameplay. So if I were getting average of 60 fps at max settings, and I change some settings to get me 90+ fps that means I can effectively play without noticing any tearing?

I've been playing games on my i5-4210u Lenovo laptop for a good 3-4 years now, so I think I'll be ok even if there's minor stutter or screen tearing. 

I mean it's a whole new world when you move from 20-30 fps to 60 right?

The higher the fps the smoother the gameplay will tell even if you have no tearing or stuttering. The difference between 60 and 90 is actually big in terms of how smooth the gameplay feels. At 30 vs 60 is even bigger tbh. I would say that I prefer high settings at 90 to 100 fps vs 60 fps max settings. The problem I have with max settings is that you take a huge hit in performance for relatively small improvements in visuals. I notice 90 fps vs 60 fps much more than i do max settings vs high. 

On 1/16/2019 at 8:51 AM, Brooksie359 said:

The higher the fps the smoother the gameplay will tell even if you have no tearing or stuttering. The difference between 60 and 90 is actually big in terms of how smooth the gameplay feels. At 30 vs 60 is even bigger tbh. I would say that I prefer high settings at 90 to 100 fps vs 60 fps max settings. The problem I have with max settings is that you take a huge hit in performance for relatively small improvements in visuals. I notice 90 fps vs 60 fps much more than i do max settings vs high. 

I guess a 144hz monitor alone without gsync or freesync is more budget friendly. I can just adjust settings to get above 90fps for smoother gameplay.

PC Specs:

Peripherals:

50 minutes ago, David_Kwan said:

I guess a 144hz monitor alone without gsync or freesync is more budget friendly. I can just adjust settings to get above 90fps for smoother gameplay.

The thing is that most newer freesync monitors cost basically the same as ones without. Yeah gsync costs more but freesync really doesn't so there is little reason not to get a freesync monitor. Plus nvidia gpus that are 10 series or newer suport freesync now. 

144Hz is enough, you dun want anything that increase input lag or reduce ur fps

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

The thing is that most newer freesync monitors cost basically the same as ones without. Yeah gsync costs more but freesync really doesn't so there is little reason not to get a freesync monitor. Plus nvidia gpus that are 10 series or newer suport freesync now. 

Yes I read something about it from CES coverage. But "it may or may not work" was what kind of made me not want a freesync monitor even if the price may be similar for monitors without it. As I plan to make my first pc build with either an rtx 2060 or 2070. Well this may change once Navi's details is released and AMDs 3rd gen cpus finally launch.

1 hour ago, d3adc3II said:

144Hz is enough, you dun want anything that increase input lag or reduce ur fps

Totally agree. Even if I don't have the budget for a 144hz monitor, I think a normal 60hz or 75hz monitor is sufficient for me. Been stuck with 20-30 fps on this laptop for a few years now. And haven't done any real PC gaming yet so the jump from laptop to PC will be big.

PC Specs:

Peripherals:

1 hour ago, David_Kwan said:

Yes I read something about it from CES coverage. But "it may or may not work" was what kind of made me not want a freesync monitor even if the price may be similar for monitors without it. As I plan to make my first pc build with either an rtx 2060 or 2070. Well this may change once Navi's details is released and AMDs 3rd gen cpus finally launch.

Totally agree. Even if I don't have the budget for a 144hz monitor, I think a normal 60hz or 75hz monitor is sufficient for me. Been stuck with 20-30 fps on this laptop for a few years now. And haven't done any real PC gaming yet so the jump from laptop to PC will be big.

That's nvidia being full of crap. If it works on AMD it should work on nvidia so long as it's over displayport. Hardware unboxed did a video on it showing it working on all of their freesync monitors that do it over display port. They have quite a few that were 1080p 144hz so you should check it out if you want to know some models that have been tested by third parties to work.