Any feedback for a first-time pc builder welcome

Hivendo

Hi all

I intend to build a gaming pc (I play mostly games like the witcher 3) somewhere in 2019 but am very new to all this. I made a list of components which seem appropiate for a high-end system to me but I can make compromises on most parts if this seems overkill (consider this more like a wishlist). Budget would be around 2.000$ (monitor not included). I prefer performance over aesthetics. Does this look like a compatible system? Any feedback is welcome. Cheers!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pnJJD2 

7 minutes ago, Hivendo said:

Hi all

I intend to build a gaming pc (I play mostly games like the witcher 3) somewhere in 2019 but am very new to all this. I made a list of components which seem appropiate for a high-end system to me but I can make compromises on most parts if this seems overkill (consider this more like a wishlist). Budget would be around 2.000$ (monitor not included). I prefer performance over aesthetics. Does this look like a compatible system? Any feedback is welcome. Cheers!

First of all your build looks good, I don't see any compatibility issues. Do you have any idea when you would like to build the PC? If you are planning to wait a couple of months I would keep an eye out for AMD's upcoming CPU line-up since it may offer comparable performance for less money. Also do keep in mind that the 1080Ti will be hard to come by and is at least in some areas already overpriced due to limited supply. 

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Define somewhere in 2019. If you are talking more than 3 month from now there is not much point. Tech is changing fast. But i give my feedback anyways:

• Any other reason for a AIO Watercooler but looks? Aircooler would save you 60 $ or more for same or better performance
  • For some reason intel took SMT from the 9 gen i7 and added 2 cores. So in most use cases a 8700k is still a great choise so if you can find a deal on it, go for it.
  • No reason in going last gen 1080ti, go 2070/2080 or wait for Radeon VII. All will fit in a 2000 $ budget.
  • With your budget you could consider all SSD storage (2x MX 500 1TB would make 270 $). And if you don't, maybe upgrade your boot nVME SSD to 500 GB

Let me suggest an AMD route,8core-16threads,  2080 instead of 1080ti, which is the same but newer, 500gb 970evo and still have $500 spare for another monitor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($308.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($138.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($127.96 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Turbo Video Card  ($699.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Silverstone - Redline RL06WS-G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($98.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus - ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor 
Total: $1614.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-14 09:15 EST-0500

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

11 minutes ago, Hivendo said:

Hi all

Replaced the cooler because it was overpriced for some reason, and i replaced the GTX 1080Ti because it's not available anymore.

I also replaced the NVME SSD with a 500GB SATA SSD, because you won't really benefit from NVME in day to day tasks, but it's up to you.

This whole build is less than 2000$ including the monitor, but you mentioned you wanted a 2000$ just for the system itself, so what's the deal here?

as @martward mentioned, it would be best to wait till Q2-Q3 to see what AMD will release, but if you don't care much you can get this system either way, it's a beast.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Let me suggest an AMD route,8core-16threads,  2080 instead of 1080ti, which is the same but newer, 500gb 970evo and still have $500 spare for another monitor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($308.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($138.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($127.96 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Turbo Video Card  ($699.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Silverstone - Redline RL06WS-G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($98.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus - ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor 
Total: $1614.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-14 09:15 EST-0500

the 2700X isn't really best suited for 144hz gaming, and he specifically wants to game

Just now, syn2112 said:

the 2700X isn't really best suited for 144hz gaming, and he specifically wants to game

Yeah but as you said to wait for AMD 3rd gen, this is a clear path to futureproof the system.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

Source? You wont even get 144 fps with an OC 9900k in blockbuster games in 1440p. But in most games you will have no problem.  

Here are some Benchmarks for you.

The 2700(X) is worse but highest i have seen were 12 fps and most of the time 4 fps in the 100 fps range. So for 150 $ more you can get 4 fps

Still, if you want to spend the full 2000$ and want to get the best you can buy for your money, go Intel because they are single core performance king, But AMD will still be a better value option. And if rumors are true (wich the little enthusiast in me is hoping) 3 gen Ryzen will be great. Love how we got some competition going again after what, 9 Years?

@Manderis

Look at the 1080p benchmarks, there's a big difference between them especially if you wanna aim for the 144hz mark, the 2700X just has a hard time achieving 100+ FPS, it becomes a bottleneck if you want to lower your settings a bit, you know not everyone games at ultra settings.

(excluding the less intensive titles ofc)

You are right, 1080p is much more cpu constrained.

But in this case i assumed we were talking 1440p @144 because of the monitor in his pcpp list and there the difference is not so apparent anymore because of gpu limits.

But taking aside those Cinematic tiles like shadow of the tomb raider a 2700X is just fine. 

To be fair, he said he likes games like witcher 3 so probably we are talking cinematic titles only so you have a valid point. 

Just the statement that a 2700X isn't good for gaming triggert the little amd fanboy in me (I would like to call myself a price to performance fanboy but selfreflecting is hard stuff :D

Thanks everyone for your suggestion, helps me a lot! I'll probable won't begin any sooner than august with the purchases of all the parts so it appears I'll have to do some trendwatching with upcoming releases :). 

Yes, August this year 3 gen Ryzen should be released and intel 10 gen should be around the corner. 

And with a big MAYBE we get a new GPU gen every year again from nvidia, but i wouldn't count on it.

And should I be looking forward to these newer gen CPU/GPU? Or should I expect a price drop in current/last gen and build with that as it seems to be sufficient for current usage?

Ryzen 3 gen is rumored to be really nice, i would go last gen only if i can get a killer price