Save power and limit FPS to display HZ?

ch3w2oy

^^ I have a 4k 60hz display and if I limit my CSGO playtime to 60fps I can reduce power from my Vega 64 to below 50 watts the majority of the time, compared to 300+ watts when fps are uncapped.

Limit FPS or do I need as many as I can get? 60hz can only really display 60 fps, right? Or am I wrong? Not familiar with gaming that much.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

7 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

Limit FPS or do I need as many as I can get? 60hz can only really display 60 fps, right? Or am I wrong? Not familiar with gaming that much

Aye, a 60Hz display can't display any more than that, no matter how many frames your GPU can push out. There's a small penalty in responsiveness when playing, if you enable vsync, but whether it's noticeable for you or not depends on you; I always play with vsync enabled, I can't tell the difference in responsiveness between playing with vsync and without. With vsync enabled, though, my GPU doesn't run at 100% load, so it's a lot less noisy, which I think is a positive thing.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

11 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Aye, a 60Hz display can't display any more than that, no matter how many frames your GPU can push out. There's a small penalty in responsiveness when playing, if you enable vsync, but whether it's noticeable for you or not depends on you; I always play with vsync enabled, I can't tell the difference in responsiveness between playing with vsync and without. With vsync enabled, though, my GPU doesn't run at 100% load, so it's a lot less noisy, which I think is a positive thing.

On the upside, I get Freesync when I cap my FPS. I can't be 100% certain but when I searched google for best settings I found it common to disable vsync, I think. I'm still working on figuring out the best settings for me.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

Just now, ChewToy! said:

On the upside, I get Freesync when I cap my FPS. I can't be 100% certain but when I searched google for best settings I found it common to disable vsync, I think. I'm still working on figuring out the best settings for me.

Freesync is kind of an advanced version of vsync, ie. the hit to responsiveness is a lot, lot smaller. You should go with Freesync.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Freesync is kind of an advanced version of vsync, ie. the hit to responsiveness is a lot, lot smaller. You should go with Freesync.

Okay, thank you!

The thing about having higher than 60 fps on a 60hz monitor is that it still helps give you a competitive advantage over just turning on freesync or vsync. Let's say you hit 120 fps instead of 60. That means you render 2 frames in the time between when your monitor displays refreshes and shows the most up to date frame. Now if you are running at 60 fps you only get the first of the two frames you would get running at 120 fps. This means when running at 120 fps your monitor will display a frame that is more up to date than when running at 60 fps. I use to play overwatch alot and I used an uncapped framrate even though I had a 60hz monitor because it made a significant difference. 

Let me put it this way. Let's say between refreshes you are running at 120 fps and so it renders 2 frames and displays the second frame. Now you are looking at the corner and in the first frame nobody is coming around the corner but the second frame someone is just round the corner. At 120 fps it would display that second frame showing the person coming around the corner while at 60 fps you would have to wait for the next refresh of the monitor for it to display them coming around the corner. That is actually pretty huge in games like csgo because it gives you more time to react. 

12 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Let me put it this way. Let's say between refreshes you are running at 120 fps and so it renders 2 frames and displays the second frame. Now you are looking at the corner and in the first frame nobody is coming around the corner but the second frame someone is just round the corner. At 120 fps it would display that second frame showing the person coming around the corner while at 60 fps you would have to wait for the next refresh of the monitor for it to display them coming around the corner. That is actually pretty huge in games like csgo because it gives you more time to react. 

I get what you're saying, but if my monitor can only shell out 60 fps, how can I see that 2nd frame?

Or is it like this, at 120 fps you have a chance at seeing either the 1st or 2nd frame, so you could see the guy around the corner sooner? whereas at 60 fps you wont even get the chance to see the second frame, you have to wait for the next refresh?

It makes sense but I'm just trying to wrap my head around it..

1 hour ago, ChewToy! said:

I get what you're saying, but if my monitor can only shell out 60 fps, how can I see that 2nd frame?

Or is it like this, at 120 fps you have a chance at seeing either the 1st or 2nd frame, so you could see the guy around the corner sooner? whereas at 60 fps you wont even get the chance to see the second frame, you have to wait for the next refresh?

It makes sense but I'm just trying to wrap my head around it..

If you are running at 120 fps you will only see the second frame but that second frame is slightly more up to date than the first. With 60 fps you will only see the first frame meaning you will have to wait till the next refresh of the monitor to be able to see someone peaking around a corner. 

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you are running at 120 fps you will only see the second frame but that second frame is slightly more up to date than the first. With 60 fps you will only see the first frame meaning you will have to wait till the next refresh of the monitor to be able to see someone peaking around a corner. 

Okay, that makes sense. So at 120fps, I see the second frame each time rather than just the first? Is this the same with more fps? 

Nice to know! Thank you! 

48 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

Okay, that makes sense. So at 120fps, I see the second frame each time rather than just the first? Is this the same with more fps? 

Nice to know! Thank you! 

Yes the more frames you have the more up to date the your frames are going to be that you get to see. It's why I ran at around 200 fps even though I only had a 60hz monitor. It made a big difference because before it felt like by the time I saw something important it was too late while when I had very high fps I would see things a little bit sooner. It may not be as useful as having a 144hz monitor but it can help make the gap smaller.