how long does thermal paste last?

How long does arctic silver 5 thermal paste last that's still in the tube? I have a half used tube of thermal paste thats a little bit over 2 years old. It's been sitting around in a drawer, i tested it out on a piece of plastic its not hard or like a liquid. Should it be safe to use? or should i just buy a new tube.

It depends on the paste.

In a small tube, that paste is gonna be fine, typically would be ok for 1-2 years or more if not opened.

If opened or longer time, the watery part of the substance can evaporate and the paste can dry, can harden.  As it's not the case for you, it's gonna be ok.

In larger containers, the paste can also separate... with bigger tubes (like let's say 20-25ml syringes or higher), it's a good idea to shake them a bit before use, or flip the tube on shelves every few weeks or so, so the consistency of the paste remains good.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It depends on the paste.

In a small tube, that paste is gonna be fine, typically would be ok for 1-2 years or more if not opened.

If opened or longer time, the watery part of the substance can evaporate and the paste can dry, can harden.  As it's not the case for you, it's gonna be ok.

In larger containers, the paste can also separate... with bigger tubes (like let's say 20-25ml syringes or higher), it's a good idea to shake them a bit before use, or flip the tube on shelves every few weeks or so, so the consistency of the paste remains good.

It has been opened, but the lid has bin on for the 2 years i've had it. its a 3.5 gram tube.

I got a tube of AS about 5 years ago. Used it just the other week. Perfectly fine.

As long as you follow proper procedure, like ensuring to clean it before and after use. Making sure the cap is on as tightly as reasonably possible. It can last many years.

-アパゾ

Should be fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv