what ssd should i buy?

hello
i want to upgrade ma laptop with a NVME ssd Samsung evo970. my question is that i cant understand is if buying this is over paying or not because its a PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 device and i think that my m.2 slut is PCIe Gen 3.0 x2?
please help me i cant figure this out
i will attach the pic of my system config its an acer laptop core i5 7200U model E5-745G

thanks

image.png.9592e22d5072eb19d016ce86587890e9.png

What are you doing that requires nvme...?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What are you doing that requires nvme...?

nothing especial web developing, a little bit of 3D modeling and rendering, gaming, web surfing(lots of tabs at the same time) and every day use,
i hate if when i have to wait for almost 2 minutes for windows boot up completely and be ready. there are these windows processes that are always working in the background and my disk is always active such as host and defender and etc

6 minutes ago, mohammadchangizi said:

nothing especial web developing, a little bit of 3D modeling and rendering, gaming, web surfing(lots of tabs at the same time) and every day use,
i hate if when i have to wait for almost 2 minutes for windows boot up completely and be ready. there are these windows processes that are always working in the background and my disk is always active such as host and defender and etc

A regular sata SSD would be enough for all that stuff.

If your M.2 slot is pcie then I guess you might as well just get nvme then.

It will work but just be a bit slwoer than x4.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you can get a normal SATA drive, or just a normal m.2 if your laptop supports that, its more affordable than NVME, and someone who has both, I can tell you the performance difference is minimal. If you currently hae a normal harddrive, just a normal SSD would be a HUGE upgrade, its the biggest upgrade anyone can do these days. From a "this PC feels fast" aspect, its the number 1 thing bar none. You can throw an SSD in a first gen i3 and it will feel fast (I have, lol), where throwing a beast mode 9900k in a PC with a harddrive feels like total poo.

My two cents, if you can get a normal SATA drive or a m.2 sata, thats more than fine, and compatibility will be about 100% guaranteed as long as the ssd dimensionally fits in your laptop, and there is a place to put it.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

hello again
hear is a picture of my laptops m.2 is ir SATA or PCI Express what should i buy to get the most out of mt system.
and i don't want to buy a 2.5 inch SSD because i want to keep the 1TB HDD in.

image.thumb.png.27f5ee14270baa14d41aa5c5d5df5d3f.png

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

(this wasn't easy to find. dammit Acer.)

yeah that socket supports NVMe electrically. It's with 3.0x2 bandwidth though, so don't expect miracles

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/569599/#Comment_569599

Reveal hidden contents

(also this link isn't specific to your problem, but I'll leave this here for general m.2 info, so if you're curious you could have a look after your situation's settled)

my question is that i cant understand is if buying Samsung evo 970 is over pay or i should go with a sata ssd m.2?

2 minutes ago, mohammadchangizi said:

my question is that i cant understand is if buying Samsung evo 970 is over pay or i should go with a sata ssd m.2?

you could get a nvme, but it will have half the bandwidth as explained by @VegetableStu

I'm in general not a big fan of nvme, but opinions may very. there isn't any place for a 2.5?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

you could get a nvme, but it will have half the bandwidth as explained by @VegetableStu

I'm in general not a big fan of nvme, but opinions may very. there isn't any place for a 2.5?

so what is the difference between sata III and PCIe Gen 3.0 x2 In terms of speed and if its not that different i do not pay to much
there is a 1 tb hdd inside my laptop now that the OS is running from that
I'm planing to keep it in as extra storage

i consider a 250 GB max for ssd
i don't know with one to pick

3 minutes ago, mohammadchangizi said:

so what is the difference between sata III and PCIe Gen 3.0 x2 In terms of speed and if its not that different i do not pay to much
there is a 1 tb hdd inside my laptop now that the OS is running from that
I'm planing to keep it in as extra storage

i consider a 250 GB max for ssd
i don't know with one to pick

depends on your workload, but for most daily load times it's about 1-2 seconds, even on 3.0 x4. mx500 is pretty good and cheap, would recommend taking a look into those if you have m.2 2280