Should I get a new PSU?

Seacoast

Hello, 

I'm starting an upgrade to my system and starting with moving it to a new case and adding a custom water cool loop. 

I have a Corsair HX750W, the old professional series. It works fine and I have not had any issues with it. It's been in my current set up for 5 years.

Would you suggest buying a new one or should it be fine to wait to upgrade it till later down the line. 

I'm not pushing my system remotely close to the 750 watt range. I have a i5 on a z77 atx board and a single GTX 760 GPU my case I'm switching to will not have any RGB, and I'm planning on using the EK S240 water cooling loop. 

It should be fine. I wouldn't get a new PSU, it'd be a waste of money. 

Yeah, you certainly won't be pushing that to its limit so it should be alright until later down the line. I know some people with PSU's that have been going for 8, 9 or even 10 years because they either went overboard with their PSU early on or don't meet their max output at all under full load. I would say wait another year or two maximum and go from there :) 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, Brennan_Price said:

Yeah, you certainly won't be pushing that to its limit so it should be alright until later down the line. I know some people with PSU's that have been going for 8, 9 or even 10 years because they either went overboard with their PSU early on or don't meet their max output at all under full load. I would say wait another year or two maximum and go from there :) 

Yeah,  the only benefit to getting a new one would be getting cablemod cables, which I still can do except my 24 pin mobo hook up wont be the new nice cables. 

1 minute ago, Seacoast said:

Yeah,  the only benefit to getting a new one would be getting cablemod cables, which I still can do except my 24 pin mobo hook up wont be the new nice cables. 

Honestly, I wouldn't count that as a major concern as you could just get a 24 pin extension cable in the same colour that you'd have all the rest of your cables in :) 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

If it's doing fine, why bother? I mean it's still a good psu, and your setup is not maxing out the psu. You're on the sweet spot of efficiency curve I believe. Some custom made cables will be nice though, aha. 

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

2 hours ago, Brennan_Price said:

Honestly, I wouldn't count that as a major concern as you could just get a 24 pin extension cable in the same colour that you'd have all the rest of your cables in :) 

I didn't even think of cable extensions, that will make it look much cleaner in the meantime. 

11 hours ago, BLCT said:

If it's doing fine, why bother? I mean it's still a good psu, and your setup is not maxing out the psu. You're on the sweet spot of efficiency curve I believe. Some custom made cables will be nice though, aha. 

Not quite on the sweet spot. His setup pulls around 100w at idle and maybe 300w at load. I would assume that the efficiency @ 10% load on that thing is worse than bad. So it's actually costing him money to still use that PSU. Don't forget that a regular PC sits at idle/close to idle loads most of the time.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

4 hours ago, rares495 said:

Not quite on the sweet spot. His setup pulls around 100w at idle and maybe 300w at load. I would assume that the efficiency @ 10% load on that thing is worse than bad. So it's actually costing him money to still use that PSU. Don't forget that a regular PC sits at idle/close to idle loads most of the time.

I found and used a PSU Calculator and this is what I came up with, Load Wattage 431W

PSU Calculator Part List

I used what I would have during the first step of the upgrade.

56 minutes ago, Seacoast said:

I found and used a PSU Calculator and this is what I came up with, Load Wattage 431W

PSU Calculator Part List

I used what I would have during the first step of the upgrade.

First rule of power consumption: never use calculators.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

6 minutes ago, rares495 said:

First rule of power consumption: never use calculators.

learn something new every day.  without knowing specifics i figured it would give a good rough estimate.

5 hours ago, Seacoast said:

learn something new every day.  without knowing specifics i figured it would give a good rough estimate.

Well, yes and no.

Calculators from PSU manufacturers are biased, they want you to do what... ? Buy PSUs and a more expensive one so they overestimates by a ton. A rule of thumb is that you could take their guesstimates in half to get a number close to what you really need. PCPartPicker is OK-ish as they don't get any money from recommending you to buy more than you need.