2 more AMD zen Athlon chips with Vega 3, 220GE and 240GE

Origami Cactus

Sauce: https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-reveals-details-of-Athlon-220GE-and-240GE-CPUs-with-Radeon-Vega-3-graphics.386176.0.html

AMD has launched two more entries to its Athlon range: the 220GE and the 240GE. Both processors come with Radeon Vega 3 graphics and offer base clocks of 3.4 GHz (220GE) and 3.5 GHz (240GE), respectively. The 220GE has been priced at US$65 and the 240GE has a price of US$75. 

For reference, the athlon 200GE has a base clock of 3.2ghz, so the new chips dont have a big improvement. 200GE should be 55$.

Apart from the differences in base clock speeds and prices, there is little else separating the trio. All of them feature three Radeon Vega 3 graphics compute units and all have a TDP of 35 W. Each processor has two CPU cores and four threads. AMD claims that the new releases will offer “reliable computing” for “out-of-the-box 720p gaming.”

They all have the same gpus, and 2c/4t.

MY THOUGHTS

The athlon 200ge can be overclocked with the newest bios on some motherboards using the AGESA 1.0.0.6 firmware, mostly msi, asus boards, and the 200ge can be overclocked over 3.5ghz, some have hit 3.9ghz. But we know that AMD didnt intend to make these overclockable, so the overclocking capability may vanish with future bios updates. If the bios updates make the athlon overclocking available on most motherboards, then these chips need to prove their value pretty hard, otherwise 10$ for +0.2ghz seems fine to me.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

5 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

We know that the athlon 200ge can be overclocked with the newest bios, making these chips useless imo.

No

They are only overclockable using certain BIOSes that accidentaly enabled ovetclocking. This happened to MSI BIOes and certain other boards. 

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

No

They are only overclockable using certain BIOSes that accidentaly enabled ovetclocking. This happened to MSI BIOes and certain other boards. 

13 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

But we know that AMD didnt intend to make these overclockable, so the overclocking capability may vanish with future bios updates.

But ill make it a bit more clear.

Well.... quite pointless products just to try squeezing a little bit of $ with the slightly more purer silicon here and there... Intel does the same pointless thing with their Pentium line up so nothing new.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Filling every possible gap, but these are quite nice for very entry machines though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

These are for long-tail OEM systems. We got the extra SKUs probably because the binning resulted in enough. These should be the last Zen1 SKUs, unless there is some semi-custom or oddball Epyc parts that get rolled out for a small niche. Though considering a new SKU for an Excavator APU showed up just the other week, we'll be seeing odd little results for years to come.

That said, once DDR4 prices finally get all the way back down, this + a cheap motherboard + a little ram and like a 20USD/128 Gb SSD are going to make some ridiculously useful HTPC systems.

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well.... quite pointless products just to try squeezing a little bit of $ with the slightly more purer silicon here and there... Intel does the same pointless thing with their Pentium line up so nothing new.

From 2012 to 2016 AMD was really good at this.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

If there is one thing the AMD CPU division are experts at that is getting blood out of a stone bulldozer.

It’s important to piledrive that point home.

43 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And with that experience they do have and the position AMD are in now they are poised to steamroller over Intel.

Intel will need to excavate the best performance in their chips to compete with AMD

49 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And with that last pun we have hit full Zen state.

Merry Christmas 

14 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

For reference, the athlon 200GE has a base clock of 3.2ghz, so the new chips dont have a big improvement. 200GE should be 55$.

Are these new cpu's that are downgraded from the Ryzen lineup. Because I remember the Athlon cpu's and they sucked bad, I should have went Intel back then.

5 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Are these new cpu's that are downgraded from the Ryzen lineup. Because I remember the Athlon cpu's and they sucked bad, I should have went Intel back then.

Kind of. These are 2c 4t chips instead of full 4 cores, and the igpu is vega 3 instead of  vega 8 in 2200g and vega 11 in 2400g.

But these are still very competent parts, and the 200GE price still surprises me.