Thoughts and advice on new build

Johnvosh

So it has been 5.5 years since my last computer build. Back then I was always excited about building a new computer, but the last couple of years it has not really been worth it to upgrade. And with stupid, ignorant M$ blocking us from using Windows 7 on new hardware, it has basically stopped me from upgrading. I have been using the same hardware and windows installation since the i5 4670K (June 2013) came out. But it is now time for an upgrade, I just hate having to run Win 10. It is on my computer at work and I hate it and after reading all the problems with Windows update, makes me hate it even more, but alas, the time will come where I basically have to, so.....

Anyways, this is what I have put together as a system. I have not purchased it yet, but I would like your thoughts on all the products I have chosen. Thank You!!! All prices are in Canadian dollars from newegg.ca I have been using MSI motherboards and video's cards for years and would like to stay with them. And this way when the new 3000 series Ryzen comes out, I should be able to upgrade my CPU!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 $229.99 (will upgrade to the ryzen 5 3x00 series later in the year)
MOBO: MSI B450M Mortar Titanium (I really wish motherboard suppliers would bring back blue motherboards as that is the colour I would really like, I am tired of black motherboards) $164.10
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo M.2 500GB $199.99 (i might just stick with a new Samsung evo 850 250gb ssd I have)
HHD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM x2 $53.84/ea (1 is my main storage and 1 is the backup)
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650W 80+ Gold $119.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripkaws 4 Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 (I wanted ram with blue heat spreaders) $168.99
GPU: MSI Radeon RX580 Armor MK2 OC 8GB $339.99
CASE: Corsair Carbide Series A240 Artic White $109.99

Total price after tax & shipping = $1521.49

Really not bad imo. But isn't that 580 seems a bit too expensive nowadays, or did I miss something?

2 minutes ago, CapitalistVN said:

Really not bad imo. But isn't that 580 seems a bit too expensive nowadays, or did I miss something?

That would be Canadian bud.

Also, I would get the XFX 580 over the MSI. Unless you're just matching your motherboard. Then by all means, looks good.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

If you're planning on upgrading the CPU soon anyways, why not choose the 2400 for now?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

4 minutes ago, tomswife said:

Also, I would get the XFX 580 over the MSI. Unless you're just matching your motherboard. Then by all means, looks good.

B450 Tomahawk is the only B-series board from MSI really worth considering, everything else tends to have explosive VRMs.(only slightly exaggerating).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

B450 Tomahawk is the only B-series board from MSI really worth considering, everything else tends to have explosive VRMs.(only slightly exaggerating).

Is that directed toward me? I know that, lol. I like the XFX gpus more, though.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

Just now, tomswife said:

Is that directed toward me? I know that, lol. I like the XFX gpus more, though.

It was directed towards the OP, but you mentioned motherboard so I felt the need to tack it onto there.

XFX and Sapphire tend to make the best Radeon cards, I've observed.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

It was directed towards the OP, but you mentioned motherboard so I felt the need to tack it onto there.

XFX and Sapphire tend to make the best Radeon cards, I've observed.

For Micro ATX the Mortar Titanium should be fine for a 2600. It's just slightly worse than the Tomahawk. That's actually one of the best options for a micro ATX case as there really aren't many lol.

2 minutes ago, tomswife said:

For Micro ATX the Mortar Titanium should be fine for a 2600. It's just slightly worse than the Tomahawk. That's actually one of the best options for a micro ATX case as there really aren't many lol.

Asrock B450M Pro4.

Just now, tomswife said:

I've never used Asrock, but I hear great things ?

I've got a B350 Pro4, that and the B450 variants are basically the best budget Ryzen boards.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've got a B350 Pro4, that and the B450 variants are basically the best budget Ryzen boards.

I think Asrock is going to be my next board, honestly. I almost got the Taichi over the Crosshair..I probably should have..I keep thinking about returning the Crosshair, but I can't think of something else to buy with the leftover money (I don't think I need more storage, but I do want an RGB ssd).. sorry for rambling, not my thread..

I would get an X470 mobo if you're looking to upgrade to Ryzen 3000. Rumour is that we will get 12 and maybe even 16 cores, good luck running such chips on a B450 mobo with substandard VRMs. They can barely handle an 8 core Ryzen, from what I've seen (overheating VRMs)

8 hours ago, CapitalistVN said:

Actually this is one of the cheaper ones, a lot of them can go upwards of $500+. But that is Canadian pricing for ya!

8 hours ago, tomswife said:

That would be Canadian bud.

Yup! Gotta love being Canadian when it comes to some of our pricing!

I prefer MSI as I have been using them for quite a few years and in my last 3 builds.

8 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

If you're planning on upgrading the CPU soon anyways, why not choose the 2400 for now?

Because the 2600 is only $20 more then the 2400 and it is a better value.

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The reason why I have gone with the Mortar Titanium is because it isn't black. I wanted either a white/silver or a blue motherboard and this is the only one I could find.

8 hours ago, tomswife said:

Ya, I have done full tower builds in all my previous builds and thought I would do something different. That and I didn't want a black motherboard. And ya, it is a nice case. I was also looking for a nice blue case, but there really aren't many and I didn't like the way they looked, so went with this one as it looks decent.

4 hours ago, epsilon84 said:

I would get an X470 mobo if you're looking to upgrade to Ryzen 3000. Rumour is that we will get 12 and maybe even 16 cores, good luck running such chips on a B450 mobo with substandard VRMs. They can barely handle an 8 core Ryzen, from what I've seen (overheating VRMs)

I would of gone with an X470, but I wanted a white or blue motherboard this time around and I didn't want or need a full ATX motherboard as I only ever have a video card as a addon card.

This is my current build...

Core i5 4670K @ 4.2 GHZ since day 1
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Corsair TX750M PSU
WD green 1TB after my Seagate 3TB started erroring out
Patriot Viper 3 Series 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-17000
SSD is an Intel 240GB 520 series I bought a while ago on sale
Video Card is MSI Radeon 7970 OC (1010 MHz, 1375 MHz)
Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
Windows 7 Pro
Corsair Grpahite Series 600T White

I am running triple monitors. 2 @ 24" 1080P (Acer GN246HL and BenQ G2420HD) and 1 23" @ 1080p (Acer S230HL).

----------------------------------------------------------

And thanks to everyone for their replies! I never expected so many replies for my first post. I have been a member of another site for quite a few years and posted the same thing and only have gotten 1 reply in a day. you guys are great!

And I have been out of the game for quite sometime when it comes to PC building. I was AMD from the K6-2+ up to the Athlon 64 X3, then I switched over to Intel with the Core 2 Duo up to my current i5 4670K. I also had an i5 3570K, 2 of them actually. I used Asus for the Core 2 Duo, but otherwise I have used MSI motherboards for my i5 builds. I haven't built with AMD in a long time so I don't really know what is good and bad for their boards. If anyone can recommend a better board and maybe the ram I am looking at isn't that great.... I use memoryexpress.com as they are local and newegg.ca for my computer components.

If I nix the M.2 SSD then I could get a better motherboard. I am looking for future proofing as I want this computer to last at least 5.5 years like this has!

Thanks for the help and adivce!

30 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Well with a 590 almost at the same prize its a bit weird to even consider a 80?

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-590-vs-AMD-RX-580/4033vs3923 

Going with a 580 because it is a much better value then the 590 which is basically just an overclocked 580. I was reading reviews on the two cards and watch a couple YouTube videos and I would rather get the 580.

Now if the 1070 was better priced at same the same price as the 580/590 then I would of gone for that but to me, it is not worth the C$580+ they are asking for it.

1 hour ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Well with a 590 almost at the same prize its a bit weird to even consider a 80?

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-590-vs-AMD-RX-580/4033vs3923 

The 590, although priced great, just isn't worth it when the 580 is as cheap as it is..IMO..

47 minutes ago, tomswife said:

The 590, although priced great, just isn't worth it when the 580 is as cheap as it is..IMO..

Yea.. the 590 is a weird release based on current techniques… Maybe it will shine more in a couple of years… And with almost 40 or 50 w/h more it might be better to go with a 580 which apperently rocks…. I almost bought an red devil from colourworks just too see how it would fit in my p.c., taking up 3 storage places but in the end i decided on sticking with Nvidia which seems a bit lower but all in all delivers almost exactly what i want from a gpu ;)  ( the 580 8 gb and 90 are almost at the same price in the Netherlands hence my statement ) 
And if the OP would have specified gaming needs ofcourse he would have needed a i5 8600k and not the ryzen but thats something different... There's also a lot of difference with the gpu results combined with the different cpu's  

So I did some tweaks to the system build... I'll be buying some just after boxing day (waiting for sales!) and some in the 2nd half of January.... Here is what I came up with...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 $229.99 (will upgrade to the ryzen 5 3x00 series later in the year). Want to switch from Intel and get back to AMD....
MOBO:ASUS Prime X470-Pro $209 (sale price)
SSD:  just stick with a new Samsung evo 850 250gb ssd I have $0.00
HHD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM x2 $53.84/ea (1 is my main storage and 1 is the backup)
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650W 80+ Gold $119.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 $171.99
GPU: ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB $609.99 or I might just stick to the MSI Radeon RX580 Armor MK2 OC 8GB $339.99 as I've always liked AMD/ATI cards better
CASE: Corsair Carbide Series Spec 06 White $109.99 

I do game a little bit.... mainly Two Point Hospital, older games from GOG, I've got GTA V which I haven't installed yet (still sealed!), and then I mainly browse the net, watch youtube.

I was looking thru my collection of computer stuff and found that I had this power supply.... https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093 I think I had bought it as a spare and used it temporarily in a different system. Would it work for the above system or should I stay with the new 650 watt Seasonic?

I don't know if I should just bite the bullet and get the motherboard right now or wait until boxing day and see if it gets any cheaper. I can get it from my local store with a price beat for $207.90 and then add a 2-year in store product replacement for $21.99 which I usually add to the motherboard, video card, and hard drives.

On 12/19/2018 at 11:31 PM, Johnvosh said:

RX580 Armor MK2 OC 8GB $339.99

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that MSI Armor cards have bad cooling. Or is it only for their new flagship RTX cards?

12 minutes ago, Johnvosh said:

I was looking thru my collection of computer stuff and found that I had this power supply.... https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093 I think I had bought it as a spare and used it temporarily in a different system. Would it work for the above system or should I stay with the new 650 watt Seasonic?

This thread should give you the answer (aka no)

6 minutes ago, Froug said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that MSI Armor cards have bad cooling. Or is it only for their new flagship RTX cards?

This thread should give you the answer (aka no)

K, guess I will not use that power supply for the new system. I will keep it as a spare for a couple of my older system.