How important is a story line to a single player game?

Dr Seuss

I got into an argument with a friend the other day on this topic, and now I am genuinely curious. How Important does the public feel the storyline is to a game? Personally, I can't play a single player game if it doesn't have a storyline, I just get bored of it too quickly. What about you guys?

It depends on the specific game.

GTA V single player can be played without following the storyline, and it's still fun IMO. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

A gud story is a Must for me in a single player game. Other things like graphics come second.

Just Cause 3 (which i play and recommend) has a good story line. it starts you out then your on your own. I prefer this because you get a sense of freedom.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

I'm having the issue that all singleplayer games are basically the same by now... go to NPC X and help him do this, go to NPC Y and help him find this... it's really hard to be surprised anymore. 

Depends on the game I guess. Does it depend heavily on the story? Then yes, otherwise not so much. The only game so far that I cannot really get into anymore is Ghost Recon Wildlands, because its story is meh and the gameplay is alright, but a bit bare.

I guess gameplay counts as much, maybe a little more than story for me. There are games like Witcher 3 and Mass Effect, where the story really is a key part of the experience. On the other hand, there's Doom 2016 where the storyline is basically... well you don't play it for the storyline.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Yeah, a good story definitely helps. 

If it's a genre I like, I will play a game even if the story lacks, for example I'll play whatever fps (shooter) is out there simply because it unwinds me, it relaxes me in a way.. I mean non competitive ones, no counterstrike or fortnite or such multiplayer games.

But games like call of duty or battlefield where single player is kind of an afterthought ('let's check this bullet point, people are gonna play multiplayer anyway')...those i don't really care about.

There are games where story definitely helped me stay interested and complete the game, for example Cave Story+, Ori and the blind forest and Celeste ... all are platformers, a genre that isn't really at the top of what I like

There's also games where story is actually important.. SOMA comes to mind, or if we go back a bit, puzzle games like Syberia for example... what pleasure would you get without the story?

I'm a big fan of open world games, so story is in this case very important for me.

On the other hand, I like racing sims and games, here's not much story to have so I don't care, in fact I'm sometimes happy that there's no cringeworthy story with "oh you are so good, so much fans love you, keep on going"

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

53 minutes ago, Dr Seuss said:

I got into an argument with a friend the other day on this topic, and now I am genuinely curious. How Important does the public feel the storyline is to a game? Personally, I can't play a single player game if it doesn't have a storyline, I just get bored of it too quickly. What about you guys?

A proper plot is extremely important to me. Sure, yes, I do play the occasional game that doesn't have anything like that, like e.g. Civilization - games, but those are the exception to the rule, not the rule itself; like you, in most cases I get bored really quickly without a plot to play through. In addition to liking games with proper stories, I especially much like games where I can play cooperatively through the story with my boyfriend -- too bad that there are so few coop-games out there these days, though ?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

It depends. 

Fallout 3, that’s like 90% of the game. 

Doom... not really.

doom has a setting (time, place) but the story doesn’t matter. 

That sort of thing depends solely on the individual. If you like a great story, then great. But being able to just screw around is also great. do what you want.

Unless it is a first-person shooter a storyline is a must have for any successful game. 

<Video Link Removed>

Sneaky beaky like ...

CPU Core i5 3 GHz Motherboard H110M GRENADE RAM 8 GB GPU GTX 1060 MSI Case MSI Infinity Series Storage 256 GB SSD 600p Intel Series + 2 GB Seagate Display(s) 32" 1440p Q3279WG5B Cooling Silent Storm 3, Silent System Keyboard MSI DS4200 Gaming Mouse MSI Interceptor D5 Sound Bloody G300 Operating System Windwos 10