How many hours of gaming is too much

TheOneAndOnlyBRother
1 minute ago, ThatOneGingie said:

Hey guys, I was just doing math based on my Steam library, I have roughly 10,000 hours (converts to 416 DAYS OF 24/7 GAMING) of hardcore gaming on my computer. 

Recently, my computer stopped working, and before I fix it, i'm wondering,

Did I get my moneys worth? How long does an average computer last? (In general, obviously its different depending on which component broke and what games you are playing)

I were to build a brand new computer, how many Thousand hours of gaming could I expect??

Thanks in advance.

Why do you say it broke, what's the matter with it?

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Just now, CharminUltraStrong said:

Why do you say it broke, what's the matter with it?

the motherboard, 

My computer is very outdated however, and I will most definitely just build a new computer. But when i was scrolling through my steam library I noticed that I had roughly 10,000 hours of gameplay across all my games. So i was curious as to how many hours an average computer lives for. Much like how a Car usually lasts for 100,000 Miles. How many hours does a computer last.

2 minutes ago, ThatOneGingie said:

How many hours does a computer last. 

depends on like a million factors

but what broke in the motherboard? the caps are the only thing that really has a limited life span I think.

It doesn't really matter how long the PC itself runs, unless voltages are overkill or it's running very hot it's going to have a very long life span outside of said caps.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

the motherboard, 

My computer is very outdated however, and I will most definitely just build a new computer. But when i was scrolling through my steam library I noticed that I had roughly 10,000 hours of gameplay across all my games. So i was curious as to how many hours an average computer lives for. Much like how a Car usually lasts for 100,000 Miles. How many hours does a computer last.

Personally, I'm unsure. I guess it kinda depends on the hardware. Seeing as you've stated the hardware is outdated I guess you got whatever life was left in it, out. If the motherboard is fried and the other components are fine I'd say it's serving you well still.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

the motherboard, 

Well if you worked at McDonalds for those 10k hrs at their new rate of $15 you would be 150,000 richer. So did you get your money worth, YES. Could you have done better things during that time... also probably a yes :-D

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

Well if you worked at McDonalds for those 10k hrs at their new rate of $15 you would be 150,000 richer. So did you get your money worth, YES. Could you have done better things during that time... also probably a yes ?

Lmaooooo

I always estimate the usable life of an enthusiast pc to be between 4 and 6 years.  Now in those 4 years I may swap a component or two, perhaps transplant the system into a windowed case and add leds or add a fan or two if I notice temperatures that I don't like.  When I say 6 years, I mean the core components of cpu and motherboard.  Not that they are at risk of dying, rather the pc building market will have changed enough to make upgrading the entire core platform logical to gain performance.  I don't know if all this makes sense.

14 minutes ago, JammyCreedog said:

I always estimate the usable life of an enthusiast pc to be between 4 and 6 years.  Now in those 4 years I may swap a component or two, perhaps transplant the system into a windowed case and add leds or add a fan or two if I notice temperatures that I don't like.  When I say 6 years, I mean the core components of cpu and motherboard.  Not that they are at risk of dying, rather the pc building market will have changed enough to make upgrading the entire core platform logical to gain performance.  I don't know if all this makes sense.

I prefer to do a rolling upgrade path rather than wait and do it all at the same time. I judge the cost again the gains, and factor in the sale price of the old component to see if I'm getting value for money on a new part

I make intelligent lights do cool things

5 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

I prefer to do a rolling upgrade path rather than wait and do it all at the same time. I judge the cost again the gains, and factor in the sale price of the old component to see if I'm getting value for money on a new part

Oh yeah, definitely do a cost to benefit analysis any time you buy any component.  I just usually find a month or two after I build a system that there's a part that I stupidly cheaped-out on or didn't plan out perfectly, just little niggles.  I find i'm constantly tweaking the setup to get it just right and just how I want it to look. I'm a little OCD if you can't tell.

And as to the thread title..... I game like 2 hours a day on weekdays and maybe 8-9 hours over saturday and sunday combined.  I like to get at least 120 hours out of a game to feel like I got my money's worth.