wanna get your opinion on this

BriPert+
Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,
1 minute ago, BriPert+ said:

would it be still the same out come/ advice?

I'd still favour Intel, if you have the means to fund an i9 9900K that is by far the best CPU in the market for what you do, hands down.

If you for some reason want AMD, you can go with it, but between a considerable cheaper Ryzen 7 2700X and a TR 2920X there will be no performance difference as both have much of the same single thread potential which like explained to Photoshop and Davinci will be what matters most.

Between the i9 9900K and the TR 2920X the i9 will run over it while costing the same or cheaper also.

So yeah... it's not that I'm an Intel fangirl or any thing nope, I'd love to advise someone going with the Threadripper, but your workload, the software you use, has to make sense for it.

Also about power supply, 650W is already sufficient with a bit of a breathing room regardless the build you use, people tend to exaggerate on wattage but the most important thing on a power supply is it's safety features and components quality.

So something like a Corsair TX650M, Corsair RM650x, Seasonic Focus 650w Gold, EVGA 650w G2 Gold and so on... tend to favour 80+ Gold rated efficiency PSUs, ain't because efficiency is such a big deal but usually brands will stop making dumb cuts here and there to cheap up on the Gold rated ones.

Hey guys and galls,

first time writer, long time reader.
I wanted to get your opinion on this set up, or if you would change something?

1. Budget & Location

I'm based In Berlin and I don't per say have a budget as I'm writing it off my taxes, and I've had a good year this year.

2. Aim

My set up would be purely used for Davici, and some photoshop, handling mostly 4k files, but sometimes 5-6k, doing mostly editing and some basic color grading

3. Monitors

I'm into getting an ultrawide

4. Peripherals

It's a whole new system, so I'm getting a new windows OS (Home I think is enough) and some basic key-bored, since I'm not big on typing 

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm upgrading because I'm running a 2010 tower that runs an AMD phenom II x6 1075t and I think a 650 nvidia on windows 8.1 with 8gb ram, so I think its time...

again, My main question would be bang for my buck, and actually I wanted the next gen CPU (2920x) but pricing was not available.
And My second question is, how do you navigate the vast case world, if one doesn't care about RGB, but more for  neatness, dust, and fast front usb (Ideally with a type-C).

thanks a bunch for the time :)

6 minutes ago, BriPert+ said:

My set up would be purely used for Davici, and some photoshop, handling mostly 4k files, but sometimes 5-6k, doing mostly editing and some basic color grading

Get an i7 9700K then, all of this only cares for Single Thread performance and 8 cores is more than enough for multi-tasking,not to mention Photoshop is coded in such way it favours Intel severely (stability and support wise).

I understand the appeal of putting together a Threadripper build, lots of cores, more numbers is better right? well nah... what's the point when the cheaper i7 will perform better at the end of the day.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, BriPert+ said:

Hey guys and galls,

first time writer, long time reader.
I wanted to get your opinion on this set up, or if you would change something?

1. Budget & Location

I'm based In Berlin and I don't per say have a budget as I'm writing it off my taxes, and I've had a good year this year.

2. Aim

3. Monitors

I'm into getting an ultrawide

4. Peripherals

It's a whole new system, so I'm getting a new windows OS (Home I think is enough) and some basic key-bored, since I'm not big on typing 

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm upgrading because I'm running a 2010 tower that runs an AMD phenom II x6 1075t and I think a 650 nvidia on windows 8.1 with 8gb ram, so I think its time...

again, My main question would be bang for my buck, and actually I wanted the next gen CPU (2920x) but pricing was not available.
And My second question is, how do you navigate the vast case world, if one doesn't care about RGB, but more for  neatness, dust, and fast front usb (Ideally with a type-C).

thanks a bunch for the time :)

well the build looks quite nice but you could bump up to an rtx 2080 if you go with the x399 aorus pro motherboard instead because its about half the price and for a case id personally go with the nzxt h700 if rgb isnt your thing

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Get an i7 9700K then, all of this only cares for Single Thread performance and 8 cores is more than enough for multi-tasking,not to mention Photoshop is coded in such way it favours Intel severely (stability and support wise).

I understand the appeal of putting together a Threadripper build, lots of cores, more numbers is better right? well nah... what's the point when the cheaper i7 will perform better at the end of the day.

that is misleading if he is video editing then the threadripper will destroy the i7 in that task

12 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

that is misleading if he is video editing then the threadripper will destroy the i7 in that task

Kid, he never said any thing about video editing, and even if he were the i7 9700K easily outperforms the TR 1950X for video editing.

Now I'm getting old to school people on here but why not a quick summary... On Adobe Premiere and or Sony Vegas, along side After Effects and any other secondary actual editing tool every thing you do like correct colours, warp stuff, preview all of this is single threaded.

Which means the faster your cores are the better is the performance on all of these things, so the ACTUAL editing part where you're working and your time is more valuable an i7 8700K or i7 9700K (I won't even say i9 9900K because of stupid price tag also valid) performs better.

And before you might try saying "but the Treadripper 16 cores will destroy the i7 on rendering times!" think again... Both Vegas and Premiere now fully supports iGPU (QuickSync) Hardware acceleration meaning that even if you're rendering at 4k the most demanding possible the i7 8700K matches the TR 1950X in rendering:

1_premiere-g5600-bench-review.png

Meaning that the i7 9700K is actually a better processor for video editing in its "entirety" than the Threadripper 1950X.

So much for "destroying" it, eh?

But don't feel bad this is just how tech is, you gotta inform yourself better before you go around parroting forum stuff or else you'll just sound bad.

Cheers.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Kid, he never said any thing about video editing, and even if he were the i7 9700K easily outperforms the TR 1950X for video editing.

Now I'm getting old to school people on here but why not a quick summary... On Adobe Premiere and or Sony Vegas, along side After Effects and any other secondary actual editing tool every thing you do like correct colours, warp stuff, preview all of this is single threaded.

Thanks for the advice!

Though I would be editing on Davinci mostly, and a bit on photoshop, but no more then 24mp files and no heavy "photoshop"ing.
I also put the 1950x because I needed a pace holder for the 2920x, price wise, as it is unlisted for some reason.

30 minutes ago, BriPert+ said:

2. Aim

And you are right, I am a bit interested in building a thread ripper, but I don't want that to affect getting best bang for buck, just a few months ago, before I was sure to buy a new set up, I was totally team blue because of the 8700k hype, though I came down from it though I came down from it after remembering I had AMD for close to 9 years and I didn't per say miss much.

Also!. I just saw I'm missing a power supply, any suggestions for wattage? how much higher should I go to the system requirements? is there a rule of thumb?

1 minute ago, BriPert+ said:

I'd still favour Intel, if you have the means to fund an i9 9900K that is by far the best CPU in the market for what you do, hands down.

If you for some reason want AMD, you can go with it, but between a considerable cheaper Ryzen 7 2700X and a TR 2920X there will be no performance difference as both have much of the same single thread potential which like explained to Photoshop and Davinci will be what matters most.

Between the i9 9900K and the TR 2920X the i9 will run over it while costing the same or cheaper also.

So yeah... it's not that I'm an Intel fangirl or any thing nope, I'd love to advise someone going with the Threadripper, but your workload, the software you use, has to make sense for it.

Also about power supply, 650W is already sufficient with a bit of a breathing room regardless the build you use, people tend to exaggerate on wattage but the most important thing on a power supply is it's safety features and components quality.

So something like a Corsair TX650M, Corsair RM650x, Seasonic Focus 650w Gold, EVGA 650w G2 Gold and so on... tend to favour 80+ Gold rated efficiency PSUs, ain't because efficiency is such a big deal but usually brands will stop making dumb cuts here and there to cheap up on the Gold rated ones.

Personal Desktop":

55 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Damn, you're completely right, I think I was influenced the the LTT channel right here: 

but this full on comparison even hints that the i7 9700k would do the job:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-CPU-Roundup-Intel-vs-AMD-vs-Mac-1310/

thanks a lot for the advice, now I gotta look for another motherboard, damn
or maybe I just copy"ish" your set up...
;)

22 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

stop parading around your intel fan boy crap amd has better chips for productivity

6 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

stop parading around your intel fan boy crap amd has better chips for productivity

It's a well known fact that Adobe software likes Intel CPUs, if you have the budget for a 9900K it will do better than a 2700X, because it's got the same core/thread count but a higher clockspeed and IPC, thus much better single core. Heck in things that favor single core like most games, my 5Ghz 8600K eats the - on paper much more powerful - R7 2700X for breakfast with the same GPU (in my testing I used one of my EVGA 1080 SCs on both). So in this use case, if the OP has the budget for it, the 9900K is a great CPU. Not fanboyism, it's facts. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

It's a well known fact that Adobe software likes Intel CPUs, if you have the budget for a 9900K it will do better than a 2700X, because it's got the same core/thread count but a higher clockspeed and IPC, thus much better single core. Heck in things that favor single core like most games, my 5Ghz 8600K eats the - on paper much more powerful - R7 2700X for breakfast with the same GPU (in my testing I used one of my EVGA 1080 SCs on both). So in this use case, if the OP has the budget for it, the 9900K is a great CPU. Not fanboyism, it's facts. 

i never said amd was better for gaming if you look i said better for productivity, in the majority of tasks outside of gaming amd is superior and they have far better pricing for the performance your getting

Just now, Earnist_ said:

i never said amd was better for gaming if you look i said better for productivity, in the majority of tasks outside of gaming amd is superior and they have far better pricing for the performance your getting

So? The OP has a the budget for it, and the 9900K will outperform any current AMD offering in their workload, and in anything but pure multithread performance vs a TR chip (but those cost even more so kinda a moot point). And the 9900K has the exact same core/thread count as the R7 2700X while being much better at single core, so if budget isn't a problem (it isn't), then there's no competition. 9900K wins in everything once you remove price/performance from the equation. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch