Canon 60D/First DSLR

I'm looking into getting my first Camera. What I will be going for is Landscapes, Nature, and random stuff but the end goal will be astrophotography. Will a Canon D60 be a good way to go? I don't want to be to cheap 1100-1200$ is my budget for now. Will this be Ok for my first DSLR? I am open to suggestions so please don't hesitate to chime in.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

I'm using a 60D. However, from a picture quality perspective I would suggest you go for a 700D (or one of it's predecessors) and spend more money on a better tele lens. The combination of a cheaper camera with a good lens usually produces better results than a better camera with a cheaper lens*. I have no idea about US$ pricing though. Have you tried asking this question in dedicated communities?

Be advised that there is the 60Da, which is a 60D modified for astrophotography.

*) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5IMmEDWH4

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

60D is a decent camera especially of you dont want to shoot video. I would if you could go for a 70D since it just launched and is a worth while upgrade over the 60D.

Alright what lens do you recommend for a starter? I'm just doing landscapes, wildlife, skyscapes and other random stills.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

The Canon EF 17-55 f2.8 IS USM is a good lens, however it's quite sophisticated. You may require a lens with a higher focal length instead of better image quality, such as the EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 STM IS or the EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 USM IS.

Zoom lenses can be more fun for less money :)

You need multiple prime lenses to get different focal points. One zoom lens can replicate multiple prime lenses. 

There is some, albit minimal, quality loss of the image when using a zoom lens.

Start by getting a zoom lens. Prime lenses wont do you any justice when starting out.

I'd recommend: EF-S 18-135 F/3.5-5.6 IS STM  awesome startingpoint.

gl!

what would you say "Prime lenses wont do you any justice when starting out."? The reason I ask is I immediately picked a 40mm Pancake when I got my T3i.

On 1/12/2014 at 6:37 PM, TheProfosist said:

what would you say "Prime lenses wont do you any justice when starting out."? The reason I ask is I immediately picked a 40mm Pancake when I got my T3i.

Zoom lenses = Zoom, more framing possibilities.

Prime lens = zoom by walking closer or further away to the object.

Zooming with your feet is not always an option. While prime might have better f stop and better low-light performance than Zoom-lenses, Zoom lenses are more versitile. I'm not speaking only photohgrpahy here i'm talking about video capabilities of DSLRS too (if your DSLR supports video). Filming an action film with one prime lens would be limiting.

Zoom lenses = Zoom, more possibilities.

Prime lens = Fixed, better know wtf u doin.

Zoom lenses are more versatile and more hassle-free than prime ones. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Yes but I wouldnt get a DSLR to be hassle free and not know what your doing. Also all a prime lens really change is your zooming with your feet rather than the lens. Many pro's will actually tell you that its better to do that especially when your learning. If your going for zoom the other thing you should look for is the range (ex a 17-200m) the larger the difference the worse it will look at those extremes. Also with ones like as a complete example 80-200mm they may have a variable lowest aperture meaning the may be F4.0 at 80mm but then at 200 its like a F5.6 or even F8.0. Once again those numbers are a complete example for explanation purposes.

On 1/13/2014 at 11:56 PM, TheProfosist said:

Yes but I wouldnt get a DSLR to be hassle free and not know what your doing. Also all a prime lens really change is your zooming with your feet rather than the lens. Many pro's will actually tell you that its better to do that especially when your learning. If your going for zoom the other thing you should look for is the range (ex a 17-200m) the larger the difference the worse it will look at those extremes. Also with ones like as a complete example 80-200mm they may have a variable lowest aperture meaning the may be F4.0 at 80mm but then at 200 its like a F5.6 or even F8.0. Once again those numbers are a complete example for explanation purposes.

Zooming with your feet is not always an option. While prime might have better f stop and better low-light performance than Zoom-lenses, Zoom lenses are more versitile. I'm not speaking only photohgrpahy here i'm talking about video capabilities of DSLRS too (if your DSLR supports video). Filming an action film with one prime lens would be limiting.

I have just taken my first step into the world of DSLR.

I purchased a Canon 700D (T5i) and I think it is the perfect camera to start with.

The flip out touch screen is amazing, focus is fast and accurate and the price is right.

Forget what others say, get the 50mm 1.8f prime lens.  It's stunning.  Takes a little time to get used to it but when you do, it rocks.  Very good for portrait due to the fact it goes down to 1.8.

The kit lens 18-55 is a stunner. Best kit lens in it's class and it has a silent autofocus so is great for video.

I would also invest in a good telephoto such as a 75-200 or higher. Remember it uses a crop sensor so multiply the focal length by 1.6. 300mm lens becomes a 480mm.  Perfect for astro work.

A heavy tripod, ND filters, case or bag and all the other crap you will want to buy adds up.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Just my two cents: 60D with EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS STM is wasted money. Less body and more lens will give you better images IMO, especially if it's your first camera.

You could also consider buying a used 700D-predecessor so you have even more options on the lens side, like buying the 18-135 mentioned above and a prime, like a 35mm or 50mm. I recommend having at least one prime in your bag, because of their aperture and the experience of having to think before a shot.

I have just taken my first step into the world of DSLR.

I purchased a Canon 700D (T5i) and I think it is the perfect camera to start with.

The flip out touch screen is amazing, focus is fast and accurate and the price is right.

Forget what others say, get the 50mm 1.8f prime lens.  It's stunning.  Takes a little time to get used to it but when you do, it rocks.  Very good for portrait due to the fact it goes down to 1.8.

The kit lens 18-55 is a stunner. Best kit lens in it's class and it has a silent autofocus so is great for video.

I would also invest in a good telephoto such as a 75-200 or higher. Remember it uses a crop sensor so multiply the focal length by 1.6. 300mm lens becomes a 480mm.  Perfect for astro work.

A heavy tripod, ND filters, case or bag and all the other crap you will want to buy adds up.

I agree on the first part. I'm using the 50 f1.8, too.

However, I think that the Olympus 14-42 (28-84 with crop factor) kit lens outperformed every other kit lens. And regarding your advice about the telephoto, I think that is not in the budget ...

I agree on the first part. I'm using the 50 f1.8, too.

However, I think that the Olympus 14-42 (28-84 with crop factor) kit lens outperformed every other kit lens. And regarding your advice about the telephoto, I think that is not in the budget ...

Olympus may be a good lens but it fits to an Olympus camera ;) .  I was really just referring to the Canon / Nikon / Sony / Pentax. 

He should have enough for a telephoto looking at prices on Amazon.com  Camera is $800 and telephoto lenses start at around $160.

Nothing to see here - move along.

you should carefully plan how you buy your lenses. Prime lenses are usually sharper, and faster (meaning they have the lower f number). Zoom lenses are more versatile. I would probably go with the kit lens in the begining 18-55, then buy a decent 50 mm (1.4 would be awesome) and/or a nice zoom lense anything from 85mm,100mm,135 mm- and then uprgade the zoom lense depending on what are you going to do more landscapes or portaraits (for this I would recommend 70-200 mm f2.8- I think that tamron does a pretty decent one and lot cheaper than the canon version- or 18-50 mm (or is it 17-50 mm) at f2,8 or f 4 if you can't afford the f2,8 version). Also invest in a decent tripod with a ball head . And some ND filters (you'll find them useful for long exposures especially during daytime). canon 60d is a nice camera, 70D is newer, 6D has a full frame sensor (but it cost a lot more).I would go for a cheaper canon that supports Magic Lantern (especially because you could find the custom exposure time feature very useful for astrophotography without the need to buy  any additional equipment.

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

@Tataffe

@KOtech

@TheProfosist

@StormtrooperStu

@Tomislav Matic

Thanks for the help and opinion.

NP NP Im on the look out for like a 28mm Lens arnt cheap :(

no problem man!let us know what did you choose in the end ;)

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."